Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I just booked a 5-night stay for 12/27-1/1 for my wife and three children. I booked the Resort View Balcony Room. Questions:

1) Will this room view Epcot fireworks? If not, what are chances to upgrade to that?

2) Since there are 5 of us, it will be tight. What are the chances of an upgrade to a larger room or suite? Strategies? I will be arriving fairly early around 12:30 pm. I booked with points. I am gold member. Thanks!
I would think upgrades will be tough, since it's the busiest time of the year.

As for fireworks view, speaking as someone who has stayed at the S/D many, many times, my advice is to watch it at Epcpt in person. While you can see some of the higher fireworks from some of the rooms, you really can't hear or experience this amazing performance without being there. Illuminations, with its music, lazers and "world on the water" is so much more than just the fireworks imo. Whenever we've watched from our room, we've been disappointed.

Cheers,
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I just booked a 5-night stay for 12/27-1/1 for my wife and three children. I booked the Resort View Balcony Room. Questions:

1) Will this room view Epcot fireworks? If not, what are chances to upgrade to that?

2) Since there are 5 of us, it will be tight. What are the chances of an upgrade to a larger room or suite? Strategies? I will be arriving fairly early around 12:30 pm. I booked with points. I am gold member. Thanks!
Golds aren't entitled to upgrades at Starwood, just to enhanced (slightly better in some way) rooms in the same category that was booked. (The OP indicates SPG Gold status to the left of the post, under the username.) My guess is that therefore the OP will not get a suite--not a chance--or in fact any upgrade during a busy holiday period.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
1) A resort view room at the Dolphin might be looking across at the Swan, over towards the pool area, or just across to more Dolphin rooms. If you're lucky you'll be able to see over the Boardwalk area to catch some of the fireworks.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Gold
No Suites

You will never get a Platinum upgrade to a suite at these properties as they don't have normal suite rooms. They only have lock off parlors they can connect to a room. You can get them to manually use Suite Nights for a pretty nice suite though.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by wolfson292
You will never get a Platinum upgrade to a suite at these properties as they don't have normal suite rooms. They only have lock off parlors they can connect to a room. You can get them to manually use Suite Nights for a pretty nice suite though.
Actually, I - like others have reported - have certainly received suite upgrades at the S/D. The fact they are parlour suites didn't seem to have any bearing on my upgrades. As always, it's subject to availability.

All in all, I find the S/D Platinum treatment to be quite excellent.

Cheers,
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
As Flews mentions, suites may be available for Platinum upgrades. My understanding is that the Presidential suites are not, but the others are. Deluxe alcove rooms are all-in-one without a separate lockoff. In the past I've been upgraded to those as well as Executive, Grand, and something that I think was the 2.5 bay Hospitality suite. Availability can be tight, though, as the suites tend to get booked up when large conventions are using the properties and at busy family travel times, they get booked by families looking for the extra beds and space. I'm sure it helps my track record that I'm frequently there for shorter stays.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
As Flews mentions, suites may be available for Platinum upgrades. My understanding is that the Presidential suites are not, but the others are. Deluxe alcove rooms are all-in-one without a separate lockoff. In the past I've been upgraded to those as well as Executive, Grand, and something that I think was the 2.5 bay Hospitality suite. Availability can be tight, though, as the suites tend to get booked up when large conventions are using the properties and at busy family travel times, they get booked by families looking for the extra beds and space. I'm sure it helps my track record that I'm frequently there for shorter stays.
Actually it depends on how individual properties categorize rooms. One room type maybe considered a select standard suite at property A, yet at other properties the same "suite" may not be a suite or categorized as a select standard suite.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I'm sorry, but as other posters have pointed out, this just isn't true.

I am currently sitting in a suite at the Dolphin, and actually had been looking through these boards and a few other sites to figure out which suite it was.

I'm a Platinum SPG member and booked a "traditional" (standard) king bed room on points for two nights (Fri/Sat).

I checked in this morning at 10AM. There was a dedicated SPG Gold/Plat line. The woman was very nice, acknowledged me as Platinum, and offered me the choice of amenity (points, limited breakfast buffet, or 30 min on paddleboats). My room was not ready, but she assured me that we had been upgraded to a suite.

They called at noon to inform me the room was ready, and when we got here, the room is definitely a suite. It's composed of a what appears to be a standard room with a king-sized bed, attached to a "parlor" with a large table and 6 chairs, a desk, a full wet bar, a living room area with a sleeper sofa and two chairs, and another large closet and bathroom in addition to the closet/bathroom of the regular room. There are two doors to the outside hallway, each with a different room number (one for the bedroom and one for the parlor area).

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, I think it's what they consider to be a grand suite. There is another lock-off door in the living area that likely opens into another bedroom.

This room is in the east wing overlooking the canal, the Boardwalk, and you can see into Epcot from the parlor window.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with everyone that has said that an upgrade during Christmas week is highly unlikely. I would also think that during convention season upgrades are harder to come by.

Last edited by kitkat77; Dec 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I'm sorry, but as other posters have pointed out, this just isn't true.

I am currently sitting in a suite at the Dolphin, and actually had been looking through these boards and a few other sites to figure out which suite it was.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with everyone that has said that an upgrade during Christmas week is highly unlikely. I would also think that during convention season upgrades are harder to come by.
I was at the Dolphin for a couple of nights last weekend -- I don't remember if I originally booked a king standard view or a 2 double standard view, but I was upgraded to a grand suite with the 2 double br attached. Mine was a little quirky with a couple of minor issues that required a call for maintenance to fix (both safes having some sort of battery issues and the nice parlor tv with a cable connection that refused to stay put), but I am always appreciative of the upgrades.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:52 pm

Hi all,
I read somewhere (another message board perhaps?) that suites at Dolphin don't have balconies. Anyone know if that's true? My partner and i are taking our twins for a 7 night stay this fall and a balcony with a great view would be awesome (even better if we get that with a large suite). From what I've read, it sounds fairly common for plats to get upgraded, but I'm thinking about using my SNAs anyway to give us a better shot. Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Hi all,
I read somewhere (another message board perhaps?) that suites at Dolphin don't have balconies. Anyone know if that's true? My partner and i are taking our twins for a 7 night stay this fall and a balcony with a great view would be awesome (even better if we get that with a large suite). From what I've read, it sounds fairly common for plats to get upgraded, but I'm thinking about using my SNAs anyway to give us a better shot. Thanks!
I would have thought some Dolphin suites have balconies, just as the Swan does, but I honestly can't recall. Just send a quick note to the concierge on their website. As for upgrades, I agree it would be prudent to use SNAs. Between busy WDW times and S/D conventions, I know suites can be in limited supply if you are just counting on same day availability.

Have fun. Our twins are Disney fanatics and love the S/D. We're back again next month for their birthdays.

Cheers,
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:05 pm

Really? never get them???I have stayed at the swan and the dolphin probably over 100 times in the last 5 or 6 years and received a suite upgrade for about half the stays.
I have had 2 connecting rooms a bedroom and huge living room, a corner room and a smaller living room at 90 degrees to it and have even received 2 bedrooms with a connecting living room in-between.

Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:08 pm

Suite upgrades depend on hi or low season bookings as well as conventions. S & D book a great number of large conventions that book out the hotel quickly. If you need a suite use your rewards, if you are willing to gamble so be it. Both these resorts are good to Plats but always ask about ug's if you are not given one at check in.
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Hi all,
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:13 pm

Dolphin junior suites do have balconies but these usually have a ks bed with a smaller room at the entry door that has a 4 seat dining table and an office desk. The pull out couch is in the BR section against the window.
They are small for 2 parents and 2 children
Originally Posted by Flews
I would have thought some Dolphin suites have balconies, just as the Swan does, but I honestly can't recall. Just send a quick note to the concierge on their website. As for upgrades, I agree it would be prudent to use SNAs. Between busy WDW times and S/D conventions, I know suites can be in limited supply if you are just counting on same day availability.

Have fun. Our twins are Disney fanatics and love the S/D. We're back again next month for their birthdays.

Cheers,
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Hi

What is the difference between "Resort View Balcony Room" and "Epcot fireworks room" ? As of now, same price for both rooms.

Epcot fireworks doesn't have a balcony?

We will stay from Sun to Tue in mid May with my wife and 5yo kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.