Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Sorry to hear that it was the Dolphin. I picked that benefit several times in the past year as it was clearly the best choice. I'll be back at the Dolphin in just a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:42 pm

Questions for those who are familiar w/ this property –

So I have an eight night stay booked starting late next week (as an aside, they’re technically three separate reservations and I hope that doesn’t mess with us, but that’s another story). I currently have eight SNAs pending, but I’ve been wavering about that since we have a long stay next month at the US Grant in San Diego, and it seems like that might be a better use of SNAs (with the caveat that, of course, they may not clear at either property). Anyway, two things: the upgrade that’s currently pending at Dolphin is a Deluxe Alcove. I know that the Alcove room is in fact a slightly bigger room but I’m not sure it’s worth a SNA, given that it isn’t really a suite; at least, not in the way that I think of them. The second thing is that the hotel is open the first night we’re there, then sold out for two nights, then open again the next five.

So for those who have stayed: is the Alcove room really worth a SNA? I have done a lot of reading on a Disney superfan site and I read over and over that their “trick” to getting a better room at Dolphin (and it almost always seems to be an Alcove room) is just signing up for an SPG acct. So while I never want to assume that upgrade on its own, it does seem fairly common, even for no status SPG members. I hate to use SNAs if it’s already such a common upgrade.

I’m wondering if we would be just as well to take whatever we’re given for the first three nights, then try for an upgrade when the hotel clears out some (there are suites available after the third night). I’d rather not move but it wouldn’t be terrible, if we were to move to a much larger room.

I realize, of course, that nothing is guaranteed; just trying to strategize the best use of SNAs given our long stay in SD next month. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Questions for those who are familiar w/ this property –

So I have an eight night stay booked starting late next week (as an aside, they’re technically three separate reservations and I hope that doesn’t mess with us, but that’s another story). I currently have eight SNAs pending, but I’ve been wavering about that since we have a long stay next month at the US Grant in San Diego, and it seems like that might be a better use of SNAs (with the caveat that, of course, they may not clear at either property). Anyway, two things: the upgrade that’s currently pending at Dolphin is a Deluxe Alcove. I know that the Alcove room is in fact a slightly bigger room but I’m not sure it’s worth a SNA, given that it isn’t really a suite; at least, not in the way that I think of them. The second thing is that the hotel is open the first night we’re there, then sold out for two nights, then open again the next five.

So for those who have stayed: is the Alcove room really worth a SNA? I have done a lot of reading on a Disney superfan site and I read over and over that their “trick” to getting a better room at Dolphin (and it almost always seems to be an Alcove room) is just signing up for an SPG acct. So while I never want to assume that upgrade on its own, it does seem fairly common, even for no status SPG members. I hate to use SNAs if it’s already such a common upgrade.

I’m wondering if we would be just as well to take whatever we’re given for the first three nights, then try for an upgrade when the hotel clears out some (there are suites available after the third night). I’d rather not move but it wouldn’t be terrible, if we were to move to a much larger room.

I realize, of course, that nothing is guaranteed; just trying to strategize the best use of SNAs given our long stay in SD next month. Thanks for any thoughts.
Stayed here so many time i cant count. As a Plat i have never not received an ug.
in fact last time at the dolphin due to construction above my suite they moved me to the Presidential suite for four days.
Alcove suite is L shaped and about 40% larger than regular room.
Sometimes you have a curved balcony with a great view of the Epcot fireworks.
2 stays ago i was booked in for 2 nights, they were sold out for the next 2 and i was booked in for the final three nights.
On check in asked the desk manager about chances of cancellations so i could stay in 1 room for 7 nights.
They made the arrangements right away so I didn't have to wait for a cancelation. Great staff but horrible billing system, always check their invoices before checking out.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:56 pm

Thanks for that info. It's very helpful.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Stayed for two nights early-February and was upgraded from a standard room to Resort View with balcony (view across lake to the Swan).

I can see why the hotel gets such variable reviews. The surrounding area and public areas of the hotel were superb. I booked the SPG breakfast plus rate which provided the most ungenerous breakfast I've ever seen (coffee, pastry/bagel and piece of fruit from the coffee bar) but was able to get this upgraded for second day. I had a great dining experience at Shula's.

The room was tired but I think that was mainly due to the design of the bathroom as furniture seemed to be in reasonable shape. However, the room felt really damp. I made the mistake of thinking it was the weather (as it had been raining badly on the day of arrival), but it didn't improve. My clothing in the wardrobe felt damp as you put it on, and the bed linen was similar. If you search TA, there are a few similar stories so there is obviously a problem in some rooms.

Seems such a shame - the hotel has such great potential but I won't return until I see there's been some work done on the property.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:51 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by davidw70
Stayed for two nights early-February and was upgraded from a standard room to Resort View with balcony (view across lake to the Swan).

I can see why the hotel gets such variable reviews. The surrounding area and public areas of the hotel were superb. I booked the SPG breakfast plus rate which provided the most ungenerous breakfast I've ever seen (coffee, pastry/bagel and piece of fruit from the coffee bar) but was able to get this upgraded for second day. I had a great dining experience at Shula's.

The room was tired but I think that was mainly due to the design of the bathroom as furniture seemed to be in reasonable shape. However, the room felt really damp. I made the mistake of thinking it was the weather (as it had been raining badly on the day of arrival), but it didn't improve. My clothing in the wardrobe felt damp as you put it on, and the bed linen was similar. If you search TA, there are a few similar stories so there is obviously a problem in some rooms.

Seems such a shame - the hotel has such great potential but I won't return until I see there's been some work done on the property.
Agree with all of the above. I live 90 minutes away and visit here several times a year. The rooms bady need refurbishment. The bathroom is right out of the 70s/80s. The main thing it has going for it is the location.
A week ago I went for a one night stand and they actually had a suite allocated to me. Unfortunately, it was not ready, so we just took a regular room. The check-in agent had to go in the back and explain why we did not take the suite. Still, in a couple of dozen stays, this was the first suite ever offered.
We had dinner at Sanaa, at the Kidani Village Lodge. Highly recommended!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by davidw70

We're staying here for 9 days and we're Platinum so we're curious how you upgraded your breakfast option. Do they give you a choice or just the ungenerous coffee bar? Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're staying here for 9 days and we're Platinum so we're curious how you upgraded your breakfast option. Do they give you a choice or just the ungenerous coffee bar? Thanks for the info.
I went and asked at the restaurant. There was some confusion initially, but they confirmed a small upgrade fee.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2
You can have breakfast at either the Fresh Mediterranean Market, or the Garden Grove. Both are buffet. The Plat breakfast is continental, which can be upgraded to a full breakfast for a charge. Sometimes the waiter waives the upgrade charge for reasons unknown.

Cheers,
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (LT Gold), United 1K
Hey everyone- I just returned from this property and have some good news.
Without me even asking, they mentioned that they waive the resort fee for Platinum guests. I was also able to select a Platinum gift (breakfast each morning for my stay).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mooses41
Without me even asking, they mentioned that they waive the resort fee for Platinum guests. I was also able to select a Platinum gift (breakfast each morning for my stay).
That has been my experience as well. They do usually charge for parking, though, but I've had that be waived *very* occasionally.

I've also been lucky and been upgraded to some really nice suites.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by mooses41
Same goes for the Swan.

Cheers,
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Club Lounge?

Can someone confirm whether this still has a club lounge with breakfast?
The thread seems to indicate it does, but I just spent 30 minutes with an SPG representative and it was not on her screen and she said the hotel said no. Confused why it was on here and they say no.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
The last time I was there (about 6 months ago), there was no club lounge. They give you vouchers for a continental breakfast only, as a Plat amenity choice.

However, they do waive the resort fee for Plats, or did back then. I've had them waive parking but not every time.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by dukenilnil
Can someone confirm whether this still has a club lounge with breakfast?
The thread seems to indicate it does, but I just spent 30 minutes with an SPG representative and it was not on her screen and she said the hotel said no. Confused why it was on here and they say no.
no club lounge at either dolphin or swan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.