Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:26 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i was looking for a room for tonight in frankfurt. Booking.com showed the Westin for 85€ compared to 169 or 189€ on the website. BRG not possible because too late. I called the hotel to ask if i would get any benefits like upgrade and lounge access... they said no... well, it is a joke that there is such a huge discrepancy between the prices and one is not eglibe for lounge access with this rates but same time advertising best rates....
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by cln
i was looking for a room for tonight in frankfurt. Booking.com showed the Westin for 85€ compared to 169 or 189€ on the website. BRG not possible because too late. I called the hotel to ask if i would get any benefits like upgrade and lounge access... they said no... well, it is a joke that there is such a huge discrepancy between the prices and one is not eglibe for lounge access with this rates but same time advertising best rates....
Why?

Selling el cheapo rooms via external sources sounds like a good idea during the slow summer season in Frankfurt...

BTW, they also sold rooms via Starpicks and BTT over spg.com , however with a certain advance purchase requirement, so nothing to complain, milking customers on short notice bookings is pretty normal for SPG properties in Germany.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
On property. Upgraded to suite. The new entertainment center has even less English speaking channels. Watching NHK World to get my English fill. Weird way to get it.

The amenity set in the suite is from Anne Semonin.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'm debating between the LM and the Westin. The location of the LM to the train station is huge for me. The club at the Westin, however, might be enough to sway me.

Can somone provide recent experience with the club? What is breakfast in the club like? Is there free booze in the evenings?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I've been in/out of FRA tons of times and have never ever felt a need to stay at the Le. It is actually easier to exit the S Bahn and walk to the Westin than the Hbf walk to Le Meridien. And no matter what any Lounge is better than none. The other night evening had one hot item. Breakfast was a full on hot/cold spread but no cooked to order items like at Sheraton FRA. Champagne, wine and beer available in evening. Not into hard liquor but sure it was around. Maybe someone can comment on that. Westin will not disappoint.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I've been in/out of FRA tons of times and have never ever felt a need to stay at the Le. It is actually easier to exit the S Bahn and walk to the Westin than the Hbf walk to Le Meridien. And no matter what any Lounge is better than none. The other night evening had one hot item. Breakfast was a full on hot/cold spread but no cooked to order items like at Sheraton FRA. Champagne, wine and beer available in evening. Not into hard liquor but sure it was around. Maybe someone can comment on that. Westin will not disappoint.
One should not forget that Germany is slowly waking up after Jan. 6 each year and that the service offered between X-Mas and Jan. 6 is often just a reduced version..., actually more and more SPG hotels are closed between Dec. 20 and the Jan. 06.

They offer egg dishes on demand for breakfast and normally have at least a soup during the evening service.

The Westin is significantly nicer than the LM. Suites are almost impossible to get at the Westin during the early days of the work week, in total there are only 18 and not all of them are in the pool. At the LM, we are talking about 9suites and all junior suites are in the old building....

As pointed out before, it takes about the same amount of time from the main platform at the railway station to the LM across the street and the Westin via the tram and a 100m walk.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
One should not forget that Germany is slowly waking up after Jan. 6 each year and that the service offered between X-Mas and Jan. 6 is often just a reduced version..., actually more and more SPG hotels are closed between Dec. 20 and the Jan. 06.

They offer egg dishes on demand for breakfast and normally have at least a soup during the evening service.

The Westin is significantly nicer than the LM. Suites are almost impossible to get at the Westin during the early days of the work week, in total there are only 18 and not all of them are in the pool. At the LM, we are talking about 9suites and all junior suites are in the old building....

As pointed out before, it takes about the same amount of time from the main platform at the railway station to the LM across the street and the Westin via the tram and a 100m walk.
Amazing. I get suites at both places all the time and I really like the charme of the suites in the old part of the LM. If you arrive by train, the LM is by far easier, if you arrive by S-bahn, the Westin is easier. The LM is closer to the financial and legal district, the Westin is at the far end of the shopping mile.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks folks; couple more specific questions.

1. After taking the train from FRA to Hbf, how do I get to the Westin?

2. Back to the club...is the booze free or is it pay by the drink?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Amazing. I get suites at both places all the time and I really like the charme of the suites in the old part of the LM. If you arrive by train, the LM is by far easier, if you arrive by S-bahn, the Westin is easier. The LM is closer to the financial and legal district, the Westin is at the far end of the shopping mile.
We all know that you get suites all the time and that your suite upgrade record is 100% ^
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dingo
Thanks folks; couple more specific questions.

1. After taking the train from FRA to Hbf, how do I get to the Westin?

2. Back to the club...is the booze free or is it pay by the drink?
1. From the airport, take the tram S8 or S9, which gets you to Konstablerwache in 15 minutes, no connection necessary.

From the main railway station, it is roughly the same, either three more stations on the tram and two minutes by foot to the Westin or 5-7 minutes by foot to the LM

Both locations have several pro's and con's

2. Wine and sparkling wine is free of charge, I cannot comment on hard liquor
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:19 am

From FRA it is the sixth stop on S8 or S9 to Westin. Two flights up then less than three minute walk.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:41 pm

Just got back from two night stay and thought I'd share some comments. Some of my experience with this hotel is different than some of the glowing/raving reviews here. Overall, it is a solid hotel in a good location with easy access to and from the airport; that's my experience.

Getting to the hotel was every bit as easy as discussed here. S9 from airport, three stops beyond Hbf and to the hotel. I arrived right around noon and asked if I could check in early. As the lady was checking and starting to check me in I asked if waiting until later in the day would allow me to get a suite. I was told it would not be possible and that I had already been upgraded two room types and there is nothing nicer I could get. I didn't press it, but this sure sounded like a policy at the hotel given suites were still available for sale online. Since it was just me and I wouldn't be in the room much, I took the larger corner room they gave me and went about my day. Beware...this sure sounds like it came down from on high at this hotel.

The club is on the low end of being useful for me. They have beer, soft drinks and wine in the evenings with a light salad bar, soup, bread and cheese. You cannot miss the numerous signs telling you that you cannot take drinks or food out of the club. I think coffee is the only exception since they do have paper cups. Breakfast consists of a hote bar of eggs, bacon, sausage, and potato cakes. You can order eggs. Day one I had a ham and cheese om.; decent. Day two I got scrambled eggs and they were so runny I passed. I don't know that I'd put much value on the club personally. It was there so I used it, but I'd certainly have been just fine picking up a coffee and breakfast bread in a cafe somewhere.

The room was quiet and well maintained. A bit poorly lit for me, but I understand. The showewr was a tub and shower combo unit with hinged doors that wouldn't close. I really don't mind a shower curtain folks, especially if it means the floor doesn't get dangerously slippery because of it.

So, compred to the LM I'd have to say that this place is more convenient if you want to go shopping and want a newer and bigger hotel. The LM is more convenient to the train station and if you're not wanting to use the local transit options you can save a bit of money by staying at the LM and walking to the train station. The Westin is in a nicer part of town than the LM, but I'd never really felt unsafe at the LM either. I've had nicer and worse rooms at the LM than I had at the Westin, but that was three and four years ago so all bets are off.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:58 am

I stayed here recently for one night in March, and my experience as a Platinum was pretty similar to Dingo's above. Since becoming Platinum, I have requested several times to get an upgrade to a suite, and have been shot down every time. This was no different - at check-in, I was told that no suites were available (when I checked later, their lowest level of suite was showing available online). For one night I didn't particularly feel like pushing it, but this seems to be a systemic problem throughout the SPG program.

I foolishly forgot all of my toiletries for this stay, and the front desk was able to accomodate with a little shaving kit (one of the most uncomfortable razors I have ever used, but a lot better than the nothing I had) and toothbrush/paste. They had deodorant available, but charge six euros for it, so I bought some at the drugstore out back instead.

All in all, a decent hotel, but I wasn't wowed.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:04 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
you can get rooms here on weekends for 85€ via lastminute.de instead of 169 on spg.com.......

stayed here 3 times... won't return...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
But the Westin is nearer to the Landgericht...

Two stays there over the last two weeks. SNAs don't work but still upgraded to a bi level suite and a junior suite.

Nice lounge with great permanent staff. Only if there are trainees or temporary staff it can be a little bit chaotic...

Great bar. Fatih is the soul of the bar^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.