Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I just spend one Saturday night at the Internet prepaid rate of 142 Euros. My online reservations details changed from Classic room to Grand Deluxe room the morning before I checked in. The details online described free internet access, but, according to the front desk agent, it's only free if you pay for a Grand Deluxe room.

The room was nice enough as others have described, but not nearly as nice as the suite Bliss World described. The square at Konstablerwache station was packed for market day and was a lot of fun. Location is great, beats spending half a day at the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Spent two nights here at the end of August. I really liked this hotel due to the friendly service, ease of location, and updated look.

I arrived at Frankfurt Airport at 8:30 AM from the US, and, thanks to this thread, managed to find the train and take it to the Konstablerwache Station, find the McDonalds, and walk in that direction. The only issue I had regarding taking the train was in getting the ticket. I was not aware that you could push a little British flag icon to get English translation and so I was struggling in trying to figure out the word to push for "adult traveler" until I stopped someone to ask. I had prepared by buying some Euros before I left home so I had cash with me for the machine.

Anyway, the trip to the station was easy and I was prepared to hang around for a few hours before getting my room, but they were quite accomodating and offered me a room right away, even though it was not quite 10 in the morning. The room was spacious for European standards and it had a huge, comfortable, king-sized bed that was larger and better than the same type of bed in other hotels in Europe that I went to.

The bathroom was also spacious and well-appointed, and the shower was great after the long flight. It had some sort of clever magic mirror (well, "magic" to me, at least) that fogged up all over, as any mirror would in a bathroom after a hot shower, but there was one large rectangle about 1 X 3 feet somehow embedded in the mirror that remained perfectly clear. Cool!

Less than a block from the hotel, across from the McDonald's, is a fabulous conditoria/bakery that also offers breakfast at a decent price, but those fresh and marvelous cakes (flaumenkuchen, anyone?) were a total bargain! We went there twice as the hotel prices were absurdly high.

There were many restaurants in the area and dozens of places/stands to get fresh food to bring back to the room if you're into that. You can walk to the river easily and, in general, get to most places by walking. There were many, many people in the streets.

The lobby was very attractive and the spa/pool looked nice although we didn't do anything there but look. I would definitely stay here again. I stayed on cash and points rate and thought it was a great deal.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
I found this to be a great hotel, well above the average experience with Westin hotels which as a category are generally good.

Very friendly staff, from checkin to room service and checkout.

Given an upgrade to a two-story suite for my two night stay.

Appearance, service, attitude to platinums, speed of room service . . . all top notch.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
spg Gold

I'm having a stay comming up in December here, does anyone have experience with there gold recognition? Am booked into a deluxe room.
Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by thomas199023
I'm having a stay comming up in December here, does anyone have experience with there gold recognition? Am booked into a deluxe room.
Thanks!
When I was a Gold and stayed at that hotel, the only recognition I got was a Gold key envelope. Thats it. And yes, I did ask about upgrades every time. On several stays. They do not recognize Golds for upgrade purposes, IME.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Thanks!
I’m not Gold yet, but last time I asked them what I would get being Gold. “More points” was the answer… and nothing else…
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CIT85
I just spend one Saturday night at the Internet prepaid rate of 142 Euros. My online reservations details changed from Classic room to Grand Deluxe room the morning before I checked in. The details online described free internet access, but, according to the front desk agent, it's only free if you pay for a Grand Deluxe room.
So glad you posted that - had exactly the same issue - and wasted 20 mins on check-out arguing with the manageress. I still disagree and all other *wood properties have never charged me for amenities or privileges that come with an upgraded room. It's poor taste to upgrade, and then charge the guest.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:45 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Koby
I’m not Gold yet, but last time I asked them what I would get being Gold. “More points” was the answer… and nothing else…
My experience around Europe is that a Gold card gets you zilch (apart from a gold coloured key holder). You absolutely need Platinum to get an upgrade.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Update

Just back from the Westin Grand Frankfurt on a paid stay. Upgraded to Grand Deluxe Room which was a corner end. The room renovations went very well and other than the legacy shower/tub combo all was well. A couple things have changed since my last stay. First. At FRA I tried to punch in the stop code for Konstablerwache which I had as 5000. That does not even take anymore. It looks as if all city center stops are now 50 as is the hbf. On my return the code stop for FRA which I had as 5090 took. It was 3.70 euros. Also. I used to take the small corridor which was lined with a couple restaurants entering the Westin via the bar/restaurant area on the ground floor. That enter after the renovation is now closed. So you enter at the front. So instead of heading towards the McDonalds and the street it corners you must looking at the McDonalds head right and round the corner with a left. This is the main entrance street for the Westin. There is still a sign which you will see if looking at McDonalds to the right about a half block down but this is just for show and there is no entrance here. Now. If you do not mind a alley you can proceed down the street which corners the McDonalds and look right on the second street and you will see the parking garage sign for the Westin. Go down this alley and take an immediate left. You are at the front entrance to the Westin.

LH F Terminal. I am conservative. I had thought about taking a cab to the LH F Terminal but only if was raining. Given the cost I took the S bahn back to FRA. It was easy to find the First Class check-in area for LH. When you arrive at FRA you will go up two sets of escalators. You will come out by the UA check-in area. Break a hard right and start walking. You are not lost. Look to the left and you will see a glass check-in area with curtains. Head towards that. You will see seating to the right in the room. You have arrived. I guess the key is to reach this point at least two hours before your scheduled departure. As for a transfer to the LH F T. This saved me 40 euros yesterday. Regards
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just stayed at the Westin Grand last weekend as a Gold. Was upgraded to a preffered room whitch was nice. the room was quite large and very well decorated. there was only one thing different form other westin's I have stayed at, the Heavenly bed was really hard... I think they may have replaced it not to long ago (Though I stayed at the Westin Reston Heights only 2 weeks after they opened and the bed was a lot softer). But the stay was perfect and got me a little closer to Platinum (witch I'll achieve next week). am staying at the le Meridien Stuttgart next weekend, will post a review there as well.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Made 1 picture

Last edited by thomas199023; Dec 29, 2008 at 6:35 am
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:44 am

Any updated Platinum experiences at the Westin Frankfurt

I'm looking into staying at the Westin Frankfurt for my first mileage run in May and was wondering if anyone has any updates on what platinum benefits this hotel may provide. This thread talks about gold upgrades to "upgraded" rooms, but was wondering is platinum members get anything more (i.e. lounge access, breakfast coupons, etc.)

I'll be staying on C&P, so i'm deciding between the Westin or the Le Meridian.

Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
I'm looking into staying at the Westin Frankfurt for my first mileage run in May and was wondering if anyone has any updates on what platinum benefits this hotel may provide. This thread talks about gold upgrades to "upgraded" rooms, but was wondering is platinum members get anything more (i.e. lounge access, breakfast coupons, etc.)

Thank you.
Easy answer: Nothing more.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Easy answer: Nothing more.
I've only stayed at this hotel once last year. Flying Lawyer's description fit my stay to a T.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

Thank you.
Stayed at both properties as Platinum in 2008. The Le Meridian gave me good upgrade to one of their modern rooms - and a quite spacious one (felt like 'really the best available room') plus late checkout despite trade fair time. No lounge. All was fine although the style is not really my quarter. The Le Meridien is near to the train station (which is good for some - esp. if you want to take the train for further onwards travel). Who know Frankfurt might be aware that the area is not very nice - especially towards the evening.

The Westin Grand gave us the usual upgrade to renovated room. Bigger but also with the old shower tub configuration which I will never get used to (spending my travel mostly in new Asia properties I kind of got used to walk in showers). The Westin is also granting the 4pm late checkout. No lounge so no additional benefits for Plats.

I personally prefer the style and the good location of the Westin (near Zeil/major shopping street, very near to S-Bahn station 'Konstabler Wache'). Less dodgy than the train station quarter (however not very far from it).

We will go to the Westin again for 3N C&P stay next week.

I'm slightly annoyed that a landmark hotel such as the Westin Grand FFT does not provide any further benefits to Platinum SPG members....

Also noted that they usually don't comply with the SPG updgrade policy of 'best available room'...

Rgds

Ham
Old Apr 25, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
Am at the Westin Grande for the weekend, and was upgraded from a Classic Room to a Deluxe Room. Making a fake booking prior to arrival, it seemed that the hotel was almost sold out. The Deluxe room was the highest category available, which I received.

Great location and helpful staff. However, I tried their high speed internet (22 Euros/day), and it was so slow, it barely worked...A call to Service Express got the charge removed immediately. Which is why I'm in a store that sells Goth clothing, offers tattoos, and has an Internet cafe right now. The signs of a FT addict. Not hard core enough to get a FT tattoo though As other people mentioned, there's an Internet Cafe right behind the hotel (I'm in a different one though).

Breakfast downstairs is 31 Euros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.