Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just got back after six days, and a lot of my observations match what dbode said above - we had an amazing time, and the resort is incredible, some of the suites are showing their age and need a little TLC, but overall, we had a great stay. We stayed on points, but used cash to upgrade to a St. Regis suite (even though I am Ambassador, given the occupancy rates, I didn't think an upgrade would just happen). We were very interested in snorkeling, and requested a suite between 520- 522 for the reef there, with 520 being our top choice. We got 522 which was perfectly fine - completely private, but no sunrise (although admittedly we were never up that early) or sunset views. Snorkeling right off the deck was fantastic and we were very happy. Plunge pool never got direct sun, which was fantastic for easy-to-burn me, but it didn't get very warm, which my husband hated.

For activities, food, and wine we ended up spending between $800-1000 per day (for both of us). Food is very pricey. Like dbode said, I think Orientale was the disappointment for us - the sushi was like a good, not great, sushi place you'd find elsewhere, but the prices were very high. We liked Alba for dinner - the beef cheeks and suckling pig were especially good. Cargo was very good value for money and the food was great. We did have a great meal at the Whale Bar - we got lucky and they had local octopus and it was absolutely excellent. We also had the Wagyu rib eyes which were very pricey, but Wagyu usually is so it didn't seem that much of a crazy resort mark up.

Breakfast was amazing and, as an elite benefit, one of the great perks of status here. In general, I thought bread products at the resort were very below par. The Maldevian eggs benedict, for example, suffered from rather bad english muffins. The duck confit with waffles had absolutely amazing duck, and very blah waffles. Even the toast for the avocado toast was not that great. The buffet also had some amazing options which should not be overlooked.

Whale Bar at sunset was great - I loved the staff there, so upbeat and helpful, and the drinks, while pricey, were very good. And the view - well, stunning night after night.

We also did the "divine duo" at the spa - I somehow thought it was going to be in the blue hole, I don't know how I got so mixed up, but it was basically like a large bath for two with flowers and essential oils. It was nice, relaxing, but overall I would not do that again. My husband also got the magnesium massage and really liked it.

Activities - we did the dolphin watching and the sea turtle adventure - both of which were fantastic. Great staff helping lead, really interesting trips, saw both dolphins and sea turtles.

The property is beautiful. Sure, the suite had some scratches on the floor and some rust on the doors, but it was amazing - one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Our butler, Akram, was fantastic, as was all the staff. It was a terrific experience in a beautiful part of the world I had never been to before and would definitely recommend to anyone.
jmail1, dgreen12 and friedablass like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:34 pm

Really interested in this 2 month summer renovation schedule, seems odd they would pick peak summer travel to close. Sounds like pretty extensive renovations beyond just shoring up the shoreline if its going to take 2 months
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by CoolJ
Really interested in this 2 month summer renovation schedule, seems odd they would pick peak summer travel to close. Sounds like pretty extensive renovations beyond just shoring up the shoreline if its going to take 2 months
Due to the weather, July/August is super off peak season in the Maldives, which is also clearly reflected in the rates. Peak is December to March.
estnet and renila like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold
Resort Temporary Closed from June 1 -- July 31

Originally Posted by JRG2025
I have confirmed reservations with points for 5 nights from June 7 through June 12. -- I wonder how that is going to work out? I haven't heard a word from the resort.
I sent an e-mail to ask about the resort closing and received this as a response:

Sunny Greetings from The St. Regis Maldives, Vommuli Resort.Thank you very much for your email.
The resort will close temporarily from June 1st, 2022 to July 31st, 2022 for enhancement of our villas and facilities to further elevate our guests’ comfort and experience. We are planned to reopen our doors in August 2022.

We look forward to welcoming you to an even more exquisite island paradise at Maldives’ finest address.

Meanwhile, should you have any other enquiries it will be our pleasure to assist you.

Warm Regards,

Ibrahim Fauzan
Reservations Agent
plankton likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by CoolJ
Traditional summer isn’t a great time to visit the Maldives. It tends to rain there then.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:32 pm

Wonder if the new restaurant will be built during that 2 month period as well. Think it’s going to be by Orientale.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I sent an e-mail to ask about the resort closing and received this as a response:

Sunny Greetings from The St. Regis Maldives, Vommuli Resort.Thank you very much for your email.
The resort will close temporarily from June 1st, 2022 to July 31st, 2022 for enhancement of our villas and facilities to further elevate our guests’ comfort and experience. We are planned to reopen our doors in August 2022.

We look forward to welcoming you to an even more exquisite island paradise at Maldives’ finest address.

Meanwhile, should you have any other enquiries it will be our pleasure to assist you.

Warm Regards,

Ibrahim Fauzan
Reservations Agent
So what are they doing about your confirmed reservation that falls during that time period?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:12 pm

I just sent an e-mail asking that question. In the meantime, I am busily looking at the other Marriott resorts. As a platinum, I was looking forward to the breakfast and it was one of the main reasons I chose the StR over the Ritz. If anyone has a suggestion for an alternative resort, I would be interested.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I just sent an e-mail asking that question. In the meantime, I am busily looking at the other Marriott resorts. As a platinum, I was looking forward to the breakfast and it was one of the main reasons I chose the StR over the Ritz. If anyone has a suggestion for an alternative resort, I would be interested.
I haven't been to the RC but that would most likely be the one I'd choose, followed by maybe the W, but very unsure about that.

Are you able to perhaps reschedule when STR reopens?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:06 pm

Thanks. I have been looking at the RC and the JW. The RC does not provide much in terms of platinum benefits. My flights are booked and I am heading to the Conrad for 4 nights after the Marriott stay.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Wonder if the new restaurant will be built during that 2 month period as well. Think it’s going to be by Orientale.
It's under construction right now. It's to the right of the arrival jetty as you look out to the ocean.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dn10
Traditional summer isn’t a great time to visit the Maldives. It tends to rain there then.
I think it's a hit and miss. We were at the St. Regis from Mid July to end of July for 15 nights last year and had a wonderful time. Plenty of Sunshine.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Have just checked in for our 10 night honeymoon to a sunset overwater villa.

I requested a villa away from the whale bar for greater privacy and provided a range of 9 different villas. This request was acknowledged.

They have allocated us the very first one directly overlooking the whale bar and claim it is impossible to currently offer any other.

I have escalated this to the GM.

I could accept not getting one of my preferences, but to be allocated the polar opposite of what I requested feels utterly insulting.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by MrM2016
Have just checked in for our 10 night honeymoon to a sunset overwater villa.

I requested a villa away from the whale bar for greater privacy and provided a range of 9 different villas. This request was acknowledged.

They have allocated us the very first one directly overlooking the whale bar and claim it is impossible to currently offer any other.

I have escalated this to the GM.

I could accept not getting one of my preferences, but to be allocated the polar opposite of what I requested feels utterly insulting.
They are at 100% occupancy currently, we didn't get put where we wanted either but it's not that big of a deal to us. You could push your butler to move you tomorrow as I know for a fact there are at least 10 or 12 villas (us included) checking out tomorrow as there were at least that many villas getting PCR tests this morning.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Crandolph2001
They are at 100% occupancy currently, we didn't get put where we wanted either but it's not that big of a deal to us. You could push your butler to move you tomorrow as I know for a fact there are at least 10 or 12 villas (us included) checking out tomorrow as there were at least that many villas getting PCR tests this morning.
Thanks, thats exactly what has happened. The GM has just said we will move tomorrow. Hopefully a smooth service recovery from here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.