Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Reach out to the hotel, they will know pretty well whether they are usually able to get guests from EK660 to the resort the same day or not. Since the seaplanes will not have landing lights or ILS to guide them at the resorts, the pilots need to be able to see where they land. So there are some rather absolute cut offs in when it is possible to go. No matter what the price tag is.
Yeah, I did, and they corroborated your story - all about seaplane safety. From them,
We are able to arrange seaplane transfers for any international flight landing in Velana International Airport on or before 1530 hrs local time. However should there be a delay past 1530 hrs, seaplane transfers become subject to availability and operational flexibility of our third party seaplane company which can only be confirmed on the day of arrival.
Looking at the history of EK660, it tends to be +/- 10 minutes, so I am hoping they are not that strict. Obviously, if it's delayed by hours, it's a safety issue. But if it lands at 3:35, I'm hopeful they aren't turned away.

Now I just gotta figure out if we risk it, or just go ahead and book the Male Sheraton or nearby hotel instead.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Crandolph2001
Yes, they will be renovating the rooms. They aren't saying to what extent but I imagine they will be putting new floors in, refreshing the drapery, frosting or replacing the WC doors, etc.
Good to hear. When I was there a few months ago thought the rooms were beginning to show some age with scratches and dents.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by nichojo
Hi team,
Planning a trip to the StR in mid Aug, which I am now nervous about due to renovations. We'll see.

Question for the experts - I've booked my elderly parents in EK F and the only available flight is EK660 which is scheduled to land right at 15:30 local, which is the cutoff time of the seaplane transfer. How lenient are they with this sort of thing? Or should I just go ahead and book a hotel near MLE just in case?

One would think that due to the price attached to the transfer (and the room), they make some exceptions...
There's a Qatar flight that typically lands around the same time and you should be fine. The line in immigration & customs is pretty long typically (don't stress) and they tend to wait for all those passengers provided the flight lands roughly on time.

Because they're flying first, when they get off the plane and into immigration, they should go to the very left part of the building and there's a line for business & first class passengers that is almost always empty and will save ~30 mins going thru customs easily.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nichojo
Yeah, I did, and they corroborated your story - all about seaplane safety. From them,

Looking at the history of EK660, it tends to be +/- 10 minutes, so I am hoping they are not that strict. Obviously, if it's delayed by hours, it's a safety issue. But if it lands at 3:35, I'm hopeful they aren't turned away.

Now I just gotta figure out if we risk it, or just go ahead and book the Male Sheraton or nearby hotel instead.
If the plane lands more or less on time they'll be fine. If you search this thread for that flight number you'll see that there are several guests including myself who arrived with that flight and were transported same day. In my case, the customs line was insane even for first/ business class (there's nobody there making sure you really are one of those), but we still had a seaplane take us and several others from our flight to STR same day.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mb123
HA! This exact video was the one that finally convinced me to look into actual quantitative climate data and eventually change my target Maldives dates from Summer to Winter. Seems obvious now based on established 'peak' season, but I had always assumed it was due to other factors (international holidays, north hemisphere tourists longing for tropics, etc).
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by flayum
HA! This exact video was the one that finally convinced me to look into actual quantitative climate data and eventually change my target Maldives dates from Summer to Winter. Seems obvious now based on established 'peak' season, but I had always assumed it was due to other factors (international holidays, north hemisphere tourists longing for tropics, etc).
Think it was mentioned somewhere here, but does the St Regis have a slightly different peak season (maybe delayed by a month or something) given it's a bit south of Male?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Think it was mentioned somewhere here, but does the St Regis have a slightly different peak season (maybe delayed by a month or something) given it's a bit south of Male?
You're right, I linked the wrong weather station! Weather Spark has 2 stations on the Dhaalu atoll (North and South) that are approximately equidistant from Vommuli. Interestingly, even within the atoll, the southern station shows ~7% increased precip chance on Jan 1st and an overall ~4% increased 'cloudiness' likelihood for January compared to the northern station.

Not sure how relevant this is, but I also remember a discussion (I believe on TripAdvisor) of a local claiming the climate averages for Nov~Jan are a bit deceptive. Apparently the exact timing that the monsoon recedes varies year-to-year, so sometimes there will be a very dry Christmas if the winds change early or a very wet one if the winds change late. Would have been interesting to load up more granular data if I had needed to confirm, but ended up settling on late Dec over safer weather in Jan/Feb regardless because PTO ended up being a limiting factor.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by flayum
You're right, I linked the wrong weather station! Weather Spark has 2 stations on the Dhaalu atoll (North and South) that are approximately equidistant from Vommuli. Interestingly, even within the atoll, the southern station shows ~7% increased precip chance on Jan 1st and an overall ~4% increased 'cloudiness' likelihood for January compared to the northern station.

Not sure how relevant this is, but I also remember a discussion (I believe on TripAdvisor) of a local claiming the climate averages for Nov~Jan are a bit deceptive. Apparently the exact timing that the monsoon recedes varies year-to-year, so sometimes there will be a very dry Christmas if the winds change early or a very wet one if the winds change late. Would have been interesting to load up more granular data if I had needed to confirm, but ended up settling on late Dec over safer weather in Jan/Feb regardless because PTO ended up being a limiting factor.
You're right - looks like Jan-April is the best time to go to not get rain, where the rest of the year is somewhat similar.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Currently have a booking that ends in on June 3rd and saw that the resort will be closed for all of June. I haven't heard anything yet from the resort and will see what they will do. Currently wondering if I should rebook to the W or RC. I am platinum status, so I was looking forward for the free breakfast.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/02/21/...s-wont-rebook/
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by godbreath
Currently have a booking that ends in on June 3rd and saw that the resort will be closed for all of June. I haven't heard anything yet from the resort and will see what they will do. Currently wondering if I should rebook to the W or RC. I am platinum status, so I was looking forward for the free breakfast.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/02/21/...s-wont-rebook/
Think you'd still get breakfast at the W or JW. You can try calling the resort, maybe something that ends June 3 will be fine, but given that they might be starting some refurbishments halfway thru your stay it might also make sense to just change the reservation to a more peaceful resort.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Anyone hear more about the 2 month shutdown? Putting more sand down. Anything else? Rooms could use a touch up but not sure if they’ll be renovating.
close june-august. wait for the deval. re-open.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
close june-august. wait for the deval. re-open.
Just strange they wouldn’t have announced it more than 3 months before it happening unless it suddenly became an emergency. Doubt they’re really playing games with the deval, but it is convenient timing.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I tried to post this article on The Bonvoy Insiders FB page. This property and Maldives in general is a top 5 topic. Marriott removed it.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I tried to post this article on The Bonvoy Insiders FB page. This property and Maldives in general is a top 5 topic. Marriott removed it.
Isn't it run by non-Marriott admins though?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
.dupe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.