Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:33 pm

Seems like the JW is getting ruled out. Thanks guys
rvlcr likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Seems like the JW is getting ruled out. Thanks guys
I had a similar delimma here with W vs StR, both for 240k 5 nights and paying to upgrade to OVW. I went with StR since this is probably going to be a one time visit for me since I’m coming from the US and there’s so many other places to visit I wanted to go ahead and knock out the very top resort. My stay is in August but I thought I’d give you my thought process. I think you should appreciate the ability to switch rooms at StR. Lots of reports from people staying in both garden villa and OVW that, while OVW was worth the experience, they would go back to the villa for the space and privacy.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Lookoutitzsean

I had a similar delimma here with W vs StR, both for 240k 5 nights and paying to upgrade to OVW. I went with StR since this is probably going to be a one time visit for me since I’m coming from the US and there’s so many other places to visit I wanted to go ahead and knock out the very top resort. My stay is in August but I thought I’d give you my thought process. I think you should appreciate the ability to switch rooms at StR. Lots of reports from people staying in both garden villa and OVW that, while OVW was worth the experience, they would go back to the villa for the space and privacy.
I'm leaning the same way also. I think it'd have been an easier decision if I could have gotten 5 consecutive nights in the garden Villa and upgraded with cash. Right now, my reservation is for 340k points (3 in garden and 2 OWV). I'm also not sure I want to be switching rooms in the middle although that might be a good way to experience both options.

How much would it cost you to upgrade and when would you be doing it? I'm wondering if they might run out of the OWV villas

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:01 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm leaning the same way also. I think it'd have been an easier decision if I could have gotten 5 consecutive nights in the garden Villa and upgraded with cash. Right now, my reservation is for 340k points (3 in garden and 2 OWV). I'm also not sure I want to be switching rooms in the middle although that might be a good way to experience both options.

How much would it cost you to upgrade and when would you be doing it? I'm wondering if they might run out of the OWV villas
Honestly I’d opt to be able to switch and get a mix of both for the same price instead of just the OVW. It’s not like you’re moving in and you have a butler you help you pack/unpack right?

The cost to upgrade was about $250 per night tax included off season and like $450 per night tax included during peak (dec-apr). Quoted prices on the forum have been pretty consistent.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rvlcr

this highlights what i’ve been trying to say. i’d be pretty pissed off if i paid upwards of 350K points and ended up at an island (the JW, that is) that had sea barriers located right up on the shore for more than half of its beach area. just my $0.02 though...
Ultimately I don't expect the JW to be as luxurious as St. Regis. The advantages that I see the JW having would be OWVs that don't face the island as base award rooms, slightly cheaper for transportation, less rooms on a slightly smaller island, and potentially better reef. I agree that sea barriers just off shore would be a downside, especially if you are in a beach villa on that side of the island. Though the St. Regis does seem to have fairly large sea barriers in the lagoon. From what I've read the beaches/pool are typically empty at the St. Regis. Do people typically stay in their OWV during their stay?

We are adding a trip to the Maldives on to an existing trip. We've stayed on private islands before where we were the only guests on the island. OWV in the Maldives is more of a bucket list item that we are happy to have the chance to experience without paying a significant cash upgrade. It has been tough decision between the JW, W, and St. Regis as each seem to have their positives and they all seem like fantastic places to stay. We'll give the JW a shot for right now due to the OWV. There is always a chance they push back the opening date and we move over to the St. Regis. One major positive is that due to the IT glitch the JW is not taking reservations there is a chance of even fewer guests being on the island during our visit. I'm also interested in seeing what extra benefits they extend to platinum/titanium as the W has 20% off food. I'd be curious to see if the JW offers anything beyond breakfast.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:26 pm

Honestly I’d opt to be able to switch and get a mix of both for the same price instead of just the OVW. It’s not like you’re moving in and you have a butler you help you pack/unpack right?

The cost to upgrade was about $250 per night tax included off season and like $450 per night tax included during peak (dec-apr). Quoted prices on the forum have been pretty consistent.
Sent them an email and they said they'd try to keep us in the same room if availability permits. If they can't, would probably just go for both experiences. Thanks for your suggestion
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:52 pm

Sent them an email and they said they'd try to keep us in the same room if availability permits. If they can't, would probably just go for both experiences. Thanks for your suggestion
We're going next month. I had 5 nights booked on my name with points directly into an OWV, and we added on one more from my wife's account in a GV for the first night. I have been periodically checking on the reservations and noticed sometime in the last week or two the reservation under my wife's account has been changed to an OWV, and still shows the 60K point redemption. I mean it's nice they did that and I'm not going to ask them to change it, but I was kind of excited to try a different room type for the first night. /first world problems.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by beastieb
We're going next month. I had 5 nights booked on my name with points directly into an OWV, and we added on one more from my wife's account in a GV for the first night. I have been periodically checking on the reservations and noticed sometime in the last week or two the reservation under my wife's account has been changed to an OWV, and still shows the 60K point redemption. I mean it's nice they did that and I'm not going to ask them to change it, but I was kind of excited to try a different room type for the first night. /first world problems.
Interesting that they changed yours before you got there. From their email to me, it sounded more like they'd confirm my room when I get there vs beforehand. We'll see though.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Those photos of the JW suggest to me that there could be phenomenal free diving just off the over water villas for anyone who can drop down more than 5-10 metres - depends what depth the wall starts at.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:00 pm

Going to likely be in a StR OW Suite and was asked if I had a preference in room. I am thinking 519 but also saw someone mention 535.

Any advice on the best combo of privacy, sunshine and sundown views? It seems like 535 gives you sundown but no privacy while 519 gives u privacy, but no sundown. Appreciate any advice.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by brosenberg0
Going to likely be in a StR OW Suite and was asked if I had a preference in room. I am thinking 519 but also saw someone mention 535.

Any advice on the best combo of privacy, sunshine and sundown views? It seems like 535 gives you sundown but no privacy while 519 gives u privacy, but no sundown. Appreciate any advice.
FWIW I don’t think you’d have a privacy issue in 535. The barriers on either side of the deck and the angle of the villa mean that neither those in the villas next to you nor those on the island should be able to see the deck/into the villa. There does seem to be more snorkeling on that side but I would think that the elevation of the villa would make that a non-issue from a privacy perspective.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

535 is the best overwater villa over there.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold

We stayed in 535 in April for 8 nights. Amazing room, total privacy, great access to the reef wall / drop off for snorkeling, good mid point location making it easy to go from room to restaurant on foot, bike or buggy.

Here is a sunset time lapse I took from the room:
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the input.

So it seems like any downside I thought 535 might have in terms of privacy, isnt really an issue while you are gaining the benefit of better snorkeling, better views, more sun and sunset.

519 seems to maybe be a bit more private and isolated but if thats the sole benefit, 535 is private enough to make up for it whilst giving you all the other benefits that 519 doesnt give you. Seems very clear that if I have a choice at one of them, I should push for 535.

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12

FWIW I don’t think you’d have a privacy issue in 535. The barriers on either side of the deck and the angle of the villa mean that neither those in the villas next to you nor those on the island should be able to see the deck/into the villa. There does seem to be more snorkeling on that side but I would think that the elevation of the villa would make that a non-issue from a privacy perspective.
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
535 is the best overwater villa over there.
Originally Posted by mjrobson
We stayed in 535 in April for 8 nights. Amazing room, total privacy, great access to the reef wall / drop off for snorkeling, good mid point location making it easy to go from room to restaurant on foot, bike or buggy.

Here is a sunset time lapse I took from the room: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw1bY8RBzqr/
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

Is there an absolutely 'must request' butler that has truly turned the visit into an incredible exeprience? I know from my stays in Bali, Bal Harbour and a few other StRs that while a mediocare butler isnt doing much bad, a truly exceptional butler can take the entire trip to a completely other level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.