Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
I've been reading this thread and another one on Conrad over past few days but as always it is extremely difficult to make a choice. Any simple advice would be much appreciated!

I have two bookings based on point redemption coming up for 6-night stay in end-Feb - To me, 300k MAR points are on par with 475k HHonors points (~US$2k).

1) St. Regis (w/ Marriott Plat Elite which expires in Feb)
300k points for 6 nights at GV (surely no availability left for GV around this period) / $369.6++ per night to be upgraded to OWV (which is usual in high season according to this thread)

2) Conrad (w/ HHonors Gold which expires in Mar)
475k points for 6 nights at WV / no need to upgrade but WV-> SWV looks a bargain

Our preference
- spent honeymoon in Maldives back in 2013 at a resort with no brand
- so this time is the second visit to Maldives and still without kids
- a big fan of snorkeling to see diverse sealife

A couple of things cross my mind after reading through this thread:
- still GV can be booked with 60k pts/night - I thought this rate was valid until end-2018 no? Do I still have a chance to get this quote through this year as CAT-7 redemption?
- free upgrade from GV to OWV or BV based the Plat tier is a pretty rare chance?
- for snorkeling nearby villas - Conrad looks better choice vs St Regis?
- but in terms of villa conditions and atmosphere, St Regis is simply in a far different league?

I must make a choice within next 3-4 days...
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
I've been reading this thread and another one on Conrad over past few days but as always it is extremely difficult to make a choice. Any simple advice would be much appreciated!

I have two bookings based on point redemption coming up for 6-night stay in end-Feb - To me, 300k MAR points are on par with 475k HHonors points (~US$2k).

1) St. Regis (w/ Marriott Plat Elite which expires in Feb)
300k points for 6 nights at GV (surely no availability left for GV around this period) / $369.6++ per night to be upgraded to OWV (which is usual in high season according to this thread)

2) Conrad (w/ HHonors Gold which expires in Mar)
475k points for 6 nights at WV / no need to upgrade but WV-> SWV looks a bargain

Our preference
- spent honeymoon in Maldives back in 2013 at a resort with no brand
- so this time is the second visit to Maldives and still without kids
- a big fan of snorkeling to see diverse sealife

A couple of things cross my mind after reading through this thread:
- still GV can be booked with 60k pts/night - I thought this rate was valid until end-2018 no? Do I still have a chance to get this quote through this year as CAT-7 redemption?
- free upgrade from GV to OWV or BV based the Plat tier is a pretty rare chance?
- for snorkeling nearby villas - Conrad looks better choice vs St Regis?
- but in terms of villa conditions and atmosphere, St Regis is simply in a far different league?

I must make a choice within next 3-4 days...
Many thanks in advance.
The 60k rate is valid for bookings made through the end of February, when Marriott's new award chart is put in place and the StR becomes a Cat 8

Upgrades to OWV based on status alone seem fairly rare but not entirely unheard of. Upgrades to BV seem more common despite it being a higher category than OWV.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
The 60k rate is valid for bookings made through the end of February, when Marriott's new award chart is put in place and the StR becomes a Cat 8

Upgrades to OWV based on status alone seem fairly rare but not entirely unheard of. Upgrades to BV seem more common despite it being a higher category than OWV.
Thanks for the reply- that's why I can still locate dates for a 60k/night redemption. I was hoping to grab this rate later after choosing the Conrad this time but obviously it won't be the case.
And also yes- I forgot to mention that GV->BV is more plausible compared to OWV based on what I read.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:24 am
kkl

What month are you seeing GV for 60k?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
if Snorkelling was a key discriminator, would have suggested W with its superior House reef and better base point room option.

Last edited by scotchmeup; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by larciel
If I upgrade to owv now. Would I have option to pay the difference quoted now for the sowv when i check in? It's like only $110/night.
Upgrade prices fluctuate, as does availability. The only way to lock in an upgrade at the rate quoted is to accept the offer. Otherwise, there is no guarantee it will be available or what the price may be at a later date.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by kkl
What month are you seeing GV for 60k?
Even Feb excluding the last 2 weeks has availability at least a few hours ago before writing my post above. Try to use 'flexible' or ''calendar' function.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by scotchmeup
if Snorkelling was a key descriminator, would have suggested W with its superior House reef and better base point room option.
Oh I've never thought about his option. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lookoutitzsean

Finally got around to calling them tonight. They were immediately able to update amount back to 440k for 5 nights but cancellation policy also changed to 1/13/2019. They said they emailed the hotel to have them honor and to call back in 3 days if I don’t hear back from them or the hotel. In the meantime, I had them cancel the reservation altogether since I didn’t want to get stuck with something I can’t cancel. Fingers crossed it works out. (This was a points advance so I didn’t have any points missing because of this luckily)
Yikes, looks like I’m sticking with the better house reef of the W instead of STR. STR emailed me back this morning unable to honor cancellation policy... based on the wording it could’ve been because I had the customer agent update and cancel the reservation though. I don’t think it’s worth calling back at this point since I was leaning towards W in the first place for the better scuba diving and snorkeling according to comments on this forum.

Thank you very much for your inquiry with the Customer Engagement Center (CEC).

Kindly be advised that any new reservations made will be on the applicable cancellation policy at the time of booking. We are unable to honor the cancellation policy of your cancelled reservation (confirmation number: XXXXXXX) for the new reservation that you would like to make.

Trust the above information proves helpful and we remain at your disposal for any further assistance that you may require.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K
Summer Stays / Status Exceptions

I've been able to book using my points in the June/July timeframe for 5 nights and am wondering if someone can speak of the experience in these months. I understand that their may be short rain showers but it supposedly clears up quickly. Also I just realized my platinum tier (now) is probably going to be gold at the time of travel. The property has emailed me on upgrades and the breakfast as well as documented in the reservation, but am wondering will i lose it since I will be gold at the time of travel. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've been at the Conrad in July of 2017 and hardly experienced any rain. I'll be at StR in July this year, so hopefully I have similar luck this time around.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:28 pm

Snorkeling Gears

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Maldives next month. Does the hotel provide snorkeling gears? do they charge for it? or we have to bring our own gears?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
OK, so one more thing about cancelation policies. The reservation terms that show on your reservation might be different than if you click on cancellation policy. See below-might be good to check for discrepancies that aren't blatant. This is a different room then I was talking about above. We have two rooms reserved for our group.

​​​​​​You may cancel your reservation for no charge until August XX, 2019 (7 day[s] before arrival).

CANCELLATION POLICY

But when I click on cancellation policy this shows:

​​​​​​

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until December XX, 2018.
  • Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
cabbit likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Originally Posted by presario1626
Does the hotel provide snorkeling gears? do they charge for it? or we have to bring our own gears?
Hi presario1626: yes they do. IIRC they charge a flat rate for your whole stay and it was something like $25 USD per person for fins/mask/snorkel. Maybe it was $50 USD. I can't remember. Was reasonable. Email them... they will reply.

Last edited by griffingrowl; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm Reason: Modified price.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:35 am
kkl

I brought own snorkel but borrowed fins.
Was free. Don't think there is a charge for snorkel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.