Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Not in my opinion. I would rather pay $1232 than 200k points.
I would pay cash on that upgrade instead of 200K points any day. People don't realize the standard rate is still 240K for 5 nights (until March).

Thats almost the equivalent of 5 nights at the top Marriott properties in the world for approximately $1232. Its a no brainer.
larciel and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
Does anyone know the earliest and latest times I can take a Seaplane to the hotel from MLE?
My flight EY 260 lands at 7:20 AM. There was a later flight that got in at approximately 2PM but I was worried any small delay would derail my trip so Im taking the earliest flight possible out AUH. At these prices, no way I want to miss one night at this hotel. Although I would prefer not having to fly out that early.
My ambassador told me 15:30 latest arrival into MLE to catch the flight to St.Regis
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am the same boat and if you do a little bit of reading it will become clearer.
StR is mostly OVW villas and basic (landside) rooms are fewer which in most likelyhood have already been taken up. Also, Dec is the peak period for the property. That's just my quick 2 bits.

I would love to be proven wrong and save 300K points as well. Can someone else opine as well?
In general, I would say that this is almost definitely not possible, unfortunately. The reason you're seeing the ability to book and upgrade with points (basically booking directly into an OWV) but not the ability to book into the base room (GV) is because there are only 4 GVs on the island and they are likely all booked on the dates you're looking at.

My understanding is that the rate at which Marriott compensates hotels for points bookings on peak dates (basically Oct-Feb here) is close to the BAR which may be why the hotel is willing to open availability for OWV book+upgrade points bookings even when the room category that you're upgrading from (GV) is completely sold out.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
In general, I would say that this is almost definitely not possible, unfortunately. The reason you're seeing the ability to book and upgrade with points (basically booking directly into an OWV) but not the ability to book into the base room (GV) is because there are only 4 GVs on the island and they are likely all booked on the dates you're looking at.

This part isn't true. There is wide availibility on GV with cash. If you read up in this thread, you'll see the discussion about it. The property is playing with points availibility by only pricing the GVs in a package with breakfast. There's no availability at the base cash rate for the GVs, so there isn't points availibility despite there being GVs available.

Before Dec 11, almost every single day in 2019 had availibility. Once they transitioned, there was zero availibility. There have been sporadic moments since Dec 11 where there have randomly been availibility. The availibility of the OVW right now is likely one of these temporary moments, so anyone who might be interested should reserve now before the availibility disappears.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Darksun
This part isn't true. There is wide availibility on GV with cash. If you read up in this thread, you'll see the discussion about it. The property is playing with points availibility by only pricing the GVs in a package with breakfast. There's no availability at the base cash rate for the GVs, so there isn't points availibility despite there being GVs available.

Before Dec 11, almost every single day in 2019 had availibility. Once they transitioned, there was zero availibility. There have been sporadic moments since Dec 11 where there have randomly been availibility. The availibility of the OVW right now is likely one of these temporary moments, so anyone who might be interested should reserve now before the availibility disappears.
I was very lucky to grab a garden villa at 240K points over thanksgiving and right before peak season in December. I hope Marriott investigates these games of using breakfast to remove standard award inventory. They came down pretty hard on the Al Maha for charging outrageous food rates for guests who were booking award reservations. Using breakfast shouldn't be a disqualifier to book a standard room with points. Certainly most platinums like myself would be furious since we should get free breakfast anyways.

Just one question, are you allowed to book the Garden Villa as a cash booking and then switch it to points? I read that this was possible but did not experiment with it.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Darksun

Yes I'll admit that was probably too broad a statement. While there are only 4 GVs it wouldn't surprise me that fewer than 4 are offered at the standard rate (the rate which mirrors points availability) on peak dates. What I should've said is that if there aren't any GVs available at the standard rate, it's unlikely that they'd allow a points booking. Also, I think at this point the property may very well be truly sold out of GVs for many dates in Nov/Dec. Those oceanside breakfast rates don't seem to be popping up much anymore, at least for those months.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
I was very lucky to grab a garden villa at 240K points over thanksgiving and right before peak season in December. I hope Marriott investigates these games of using breakfast to remove standard award inventory. They came down pretty hard on the Al Maha for charging outrageous food rates for guests who were booking award reservations. Using breakfast shouldn't be a disqualifier to book a standard room with points. Certainly most platinums like myself would be furious since we should get free breakfast anyways.

Just one question, are you allowed to book the Garden Villa as a cash booking and then switch it to points? I read that this was possible but did not experiment with it.
The issue with your line of thought here is that the only way I can imagine they'd be able to do this is if you booked the standard rate (i.e. not member rate, advance purchase rate, breakfast rate, etc.) because the standard rate for the GV is the rate that points availability is (in theory) based on. So basically, while it might be possible if the standard rate was available, at that point it should also be possible to book directly with points.

The difference between what Al Maha did and what the StR is doing is that Al Maha ONLY has all-inclusive rates, so even the standard rate is all-inclusive. At the StR, the standard cash rate does not include breakfast, so by charging a higher rate that does include breakfast/discounts/etc. they can avoid releasing full availability at the standard rate. I'd argue that this certainly doesn't follow the spirit of the rules even if it does technically break them, but what do I know.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:28 am

I'm at the Vommuli right now! I paid the upgrade fee for a OWV (a little annoyed that as PP I wasn't upgraded into anything from GV booking), and the upgrade fee is totally worth it. The OWV is incredible!!

Are the cans of mixed nuts in the room complimentary? My butler went over it too quickly and I was half asleep and not paying attention.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:51 am
kkl

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I'm at the Vommuli right now! I paid the upgrade fee for a OWV (a little annoyed that as PP I wasn't upgraded into anything from GV booking), and the upgrade fee is totally worth it. The OWV is incredible!!

Are the cans of mixed nuts in the room complimentary? My butler went over it too quickly and I was half asleep and not paying attention.
Not free. Only the treats in the glass cabinet which will be replaced daily

Nornally gv upgrades into bv

They rarely upgrade into OWV even though next category
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by kkl

Not free. Only the treats in the glass cabinet which will be replaced daily

Nornally gv upgrades into bv

They rarely upgrade into OWV even though next category
I was surprised I wasn't upgraded into a BV. Wasn't expecting an OWV upgrade, but a BV would've been a nice gesture.

Are the full size Remede toiletry items for complimentary usage?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 13, 2019 at 4:54 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:48 am
kkl

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I was surprised I wasn't upgraded into a BV. Wasn't expecting an OWV upgrade, but a BV would've been a nice gesture.

Are the full size Remede toiletry items for complimentary usage?
fullsize? iirc they were palm sized.

all toiletries are for guest usage, no charge.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
fullsize? iirc they were palm sized.

all toiletries are for guest usage, no charge.
I guess I have small palms? Lol. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:24 pm

hey, which OWV are you in? The ones facing east or the ones north?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Platinum Elite here looking to stay at either W or St Regis this coming September for an anniversary but struggling on which to choose and looking for advice. Wife and I are looking to scuba dive but otherwise low standards and looking for that once in a lifetime experience. I currently have about 200k points but have plenty of Amex/Chase points to transfer to Marriott for the rest.

I have one points advance booking at each hotel: 5 nights beach villa at the W for 240k and 5 night OVW bungalow at St Regis for 440k (would prefer GV prob but no availability). Opportunity cost of the extra 200k pts I put at about $3,000 I could’ve used for other travel, but I don’t want to miss out on St Regis OVW. Is St Regis worth it??
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by outlawashere
hey, which OWV are you in? The ones facing east or the ones north?
North unfortunately. A little annoyed since I requested the east facing ones several months in advance. The pool isn't heated by the sun during the day, but the outdoor air temp keeps it fairly warm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.