Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Fitness Facility Closed Every First Monday

The first Monday of the month, the hotel's fitness facility is closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dina4
Which location is better for sightseeing: the W or the Westin Chosun?
Hands down the Westin Chosun, one of the best located hotels in town for sightseeing. The W's location is poor for that purpose.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: Starwood
thanks for the quick reply!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:04 am

Agree entirely with Monahos... Westin is much much better located for sightseeing.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Will be staying a couple of nights in early March...

Which location is better for sightseeing: the W or the Westin Chosun?

Thanks!
Dina
I agree with the previous posters. The Westin is the better location.

I was there earlier this week. The Westin rocks! It is consistently voted the best hotel in Seoul and treats their Platinum guests very well.

Plumber
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:44 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Westin Chosun, one of the best breakfast buffet in any SPG hotels.
Newer executive lounge is spacious and comfortable, but food there is just average in my opinion.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I recently made a trip to Seoul with stays at the W, Westin and Park Hyatt. The W is very impressive, but as people have noted the Westin is much better located for tourism. Our plan was to spend two days at the W getting over jetlag and taking it fairly easy -- and that worked well.

The Westin made less of an impression as a hotel. Service was good. The room wasn't a notable upgrade, even on a paid stay. Mid floor, standard size, no view. There was a big laptop taking up most of the desk with free internet -- maybe that's an upgrade? Excellent breakfast, which it was nice to get free.

We fell victim to a policy that will have some of you cheering: nobody under 14 in the executive lounge. So our sleeping 24 month old in a stroller was not allowed in. We were allowed to park him outside while we briefly grabbed a couple of plates of food to take down to the room, but I wasn't allowed to take a beer away with me. The choices did not seem amazing anyway -- bland food and low end spirits. (Unlike the Hyatt Incheon, where the lounge had pour your own Johnny Walker Gold).

It's mostly on family stays that I enjoy lounges, as it's so nice to be able to go and grab something quickly and enjoy it while he has a brief nap. On the other hand I have seen lounges overun with rowdy children.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Starwood
Ok, great!
I'm really looking forward to our stay there!

Has anyone used their car service from the airport?
I've contacted them, but haven't heard back yet.

Is it pretty easy to get a cab from the airport. We speak no Korean.

Thanks,
dina
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:48 pm

Thanks,
dina
Taxis are plenty and there is little fuss with language if all you are saying is "Westin Chosun Hotel".

Having said that (and I know it sounds a bit daunting to read but it really isn't), I would advise you to take the Limousine Bus.

As many have said here, all you have to do is come out of the airport and approach the kiosk right outside the gate. The seats are large and it's as comfortable as the taxi if not more. And they will drop you off right at the hotel so in my opinion there really is not much difference from taking a taxi (aside from the $ you get to save).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Ok, great!

Thanks,
dina
After you leave baggage claim at Incheon, you can find Westin Chosun Hotel staff at a counter. I don't remember which door # it is next to, but it is marked. They can have a car pulled around very quickly for you. Cost is 135,000 Won for the ride to the hotel. Can charge it to your room. THis is what I did 2 weeks ago, as I was anxious to get to the hotel and grab a bite to eat in Myeong Dong before things closed up.

It's a bit steep of a price, but there is NO waiting for the bus, and no stops at other hotels. I have taken the bus many times, and think it is a phenomenal deal. But, to the Westin you are the last stop. From the Westin, you're the last pickup, so you go straight away to the airport.

Personally, I've found that grabbing a cab is my favorite way - the meter runs about 50,000 to 60,000 Won. I usually pay about 80,000 to my favorite cab driver who gave me his cell phone # many years ago. I don't use him on Sunday's, though, which is the day I came in the last time. He rests, with family.

On other topics mentioned above - I found the food in the new lounge, on the top floor, to be the same as what was always offered. Just as good and generous.

The under 14 rule is a refreshing rule to find. It keeps the environment quiet and comfortable.

I love this hotel. Don't forget to visit the gym and baths on the 2nd floor.

Oh, I hate the Hermes hand soap and toiletries. Scent is terrible to me.

Aloha
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:49 am

http://www.kallimousine.com

The bus goes from Arrivals Level Doors 4 and 11 at Incheon - KRW 14,000 one-way - leaving every 20 minutes except very early or very late. You need Line One - City Hotels.

On arrival, you'll have up to three quick stops (at the Koreana, Seoul Plaza and Lotte Hotels) before reaching the Westin. The bus can sometimes be faster than a taxi, given that it can operate in dedicated lanes.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Originally Posted by ENIAC
I recently made a trip to Seoul with stays at the W, Westin and Park Hyatt. The W is very impressive, but as people have noted the Westin is much better located for tourism. Our plan was to spend two days at the W getting over jetlag and taking it fairly easy -- and that worked well.

The Westin made less of an impression as a hotel. Service was good. The room wasn't a notable upgrade, even on a paid stay. Mid floor, standard size, no view. There was a big laptop taking up most of the desk with free internet -- maybe that's an upgrade? Excellent breakfast, which it was nice to get free.

We fell victim to a policy that will have some of you cheering: nobody under 14 in the executive lounge. So our sleeping 24 month old in a stroller was not allowed in. We were allowed to park him outside while we briefly grabbed a couple of plates of food to take down to the room, but I wasn't allowed to take a beer away with me. The choices did not seem amazing anyway -- bland food and low end spirits. (Unlike the Hyatt Incheon, where the lounge had pour your own Johnny Walker Gold).

It's mostly on family stays that I enjoy lounges, as it's so nice to be able to go and grab something quickly and enjoy it while he has a brief nap. On the other hand I have seen lounges overun with rowdy children.
I was at the Westin during the late summer and had no problem taking my daughter to the executive lounge. I am just curious when they changed the rule? I know that they have two executive lounges, just curious if the No under 14 applied to both. I will be going back shortly sans family, so it does not matter. But will be going also in June with family.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jjbc
I was at the Westin during the late summer and had no problem taking my daughter to the executive lounge. I am just curious when they changed the rule? I know that they have two executive lounges, just curious if the No under 14 applied to both. I will be going back shortly sans family, so it does not matter. But will be going also in June with family.
They used to have 2 lounges, but they combined both and moved them up to the 20th floor around July or so last year. This new lounge looks and feels a lot nicer than the old ones. I wasn't aware of the 14 year old age limit rule though. Nonetheless, I've never found the lounge to be overrun with kids.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:18 am

Ok, great!

Thanks,
dina
I've tried all: (i) their car service, (ii) taking a taxi, and (iii) taking the airport limousine bus, and I agree with most that taking the bus is the most recommended option. Their car service is good, gets you into the hotel quick, but it could be quite costly. I prefer the bus to taxi since the seating is very spacious, sort of like the Acela trains.

If you take the car service, they will greet you at the airport with your name and then check you in immediately upon arrival at the hotel.

If you take the bus, there sometimes will be someone from the hotel at the bus line greeting you as well, and asking for your name so she (usually a she) can inform the hotel of your arrival. She usually knows the room number already assigned to you as well.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
The 14 year old age minimum is now on the hotel web page.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...064#conditions

Lots of other warnings there, and one suprise -- free self parking for all guests! Not that I'm eager to drive in Seoul.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
This is one of the best SPG properties in term of everything^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.