Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Fitness Facility Closed Every First Monday

The first Monday of the month, the hotel's fitness facility is closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I stayed a couple days at Chosun last month. It's nice hotel and great location. But,

Their breakfast is superexpensive (Cafe Royale). About 6100 Won for two, ouch! (about $61). Yes, it's a buffet, but it's way overpriced!

Hi-speed internet is 22000 Won per day. Yike! I used AT&T dial-in, but surprised to get the bill for the call, 8400 Won for 73 minutes LOCAL call.

I was gold at that time, and was not allowed to use the lounge.

I'm really not impressed with the service that much. It's good, but not outstanding like I received in St. Regis in Shanghai.

BTW, make sure you visit MingYeongDong. It's a hip shopping area and it's alive at night.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
The Westin Seoul is nice if you can afford it. One time the rate was close to the nearby Hilton Millennium and another time it was 50% more (can't really justify that for business as the Hilton is also good). The weekends usually have lower rates and there might be better rates through a hotel booking site - I didn't have time to look when I went, but compared starwood & hilton website rates (tried leisure and corporate rates).
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
I'll be visiting friends in Seoul for a few days in early June and then heading to Sydney for a week to visit more friends. Would appreciate any comments on where to stay (W, Westin, Sheraton) while there.

Thanking you in advance for your input.
I have to disagree with many of FTers on Westin Chosun. After reading so much about it I actually stayed there in Dec 2004 and have to tell you that Westin Chosun isn't all that. It's an old hotel(histroic one) and just don't think location is that good. Especially, Lotte Deptartment store doing lots of construction infront of their main rd/underground mall and based on Korean media many violent confrontations between street merchants and thugs Lotte hired to move those merchants. For my money, I would stay at JW Marriott becauser it's newer more spacious bedroom/bathroom, great view and awesome gym. Walker Hill and W are located so far out mind as well staying in Busan. :-)
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DH
How was your stay? Do you have status with SPG? I have an award stay coming up next month and I'm wondering whether Gold SPG get any extra benefits or not.
I was very pleased I stayed there.

It was right in the middle of town, and a great spot as far as location for what I was doing (just beating around). I'm Platinum so I got a Business room (So sorry, no suites available) which had a PC, although I had my laptop. The Internet was free. I had access to the Executive Floor(s) which I think were 9 and 17 although I was on a different floor. The buffett was good enough to call it a meal and skip lunch (at least from my viewpoint), it wasn't a full buffett but had enough decent stuff that you could fill yourself up. At night they had a bunch of food that you could also eat (and free drinks) till 8pm. I ate that for dinner too, but I am not a food conniseur, I just eat because I'm hungry and with the drinks I was happy.

I'm not sure if Gold gets access to the Executive level, probably not, but you should try as it was an awful lot better than most Club/Executive levels I've seen although most of my comparisons are in the US, except for Asia (SIN, Westin BKK, and SGN).
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree with those above..Chosun

..also there club lounge has hot meals for evening snacks...suffering from 1st day jet lag I never had to leave the hotel, plus the staff in the lounge seems to delight in getting foreign vistors hammered by pouring very stiff drinks...this is a good hotel. Also if there happens to be a protest (usually weekly in Soeul) then it will take place right out side your window which adds a certain entertainment value you just cant get at home
Old May 11, 2005, 6:13 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Westin Chosun is definitely the place to go. It's right near two subway stations and shopping centers. There are restaurants within walking distance from the hotel.

The gym is huge. Just remember to take your shoes off when you get into the locker room.
Old May 11, 2005, 6:42 pm
DH

Westin Chosun is located in heart of Seoul. ^ Location is a big PLUS; as noted, it has metro stations nearby and located next to the city hall. For those who are traveling with kids, it has better sound insulation than its sister property in Busan and Seoul Millenium Hilton.

There are restaurants nearby and Lotte department store is next door. It has grocery and food court in the basement. We have been buying drinks and food there to save money. Additionally there are 3 convinient stores (7-11, GS 24 and Family Mart) within a block too.

19th floor is dedicated SPG members.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
Westin in Seoul Korea

Just got back from the best Westin property I've ever stayed in relationship to service and the club room.

Stayed on the Execcutive floor and received a letter why I couldn't have a suite (I'm plat by the way). I boooked on the web site at the lowest rate.

The staff went out of the way to take care of everyting. Went shopping and came back with a couple of shopping bags. They took them out of taxi for me and up to the room. Wen I got to the airport a rep of the hotel waited with me as I waited for the limo bus. If only oher Westin properties gave this kind of service.

Club room had breakfast, mid day cake etc., and dinner. Drinks at dinner also.

Room had a computer, cell phone, and fax. Cannot say enough about the exceptional service and facility.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:52 pm

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
This is also my favorite Westin, though the Westin in Busan, is a close second. We always have the same room (unless the Korean resident suite special is running) over looking the temple next to the hotel. Excellent staff, fast internet access, and good food. The cost is a lot higher than the Westin Chosun Beach in Busan, but it is similar to other 5* places in Seoul.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I plan to stay at this property in early October... when you say "dinner" in the club lounge, is this a real real real dinner or the typical appetizers and/or finger foods (Korean this time) that one would find in other lounges?

Also, goghd, when you got the letter stating why you didn't get a suite because of your low rate -- isn't this against the "best room upon availability (except for resorts)" Platinum guarantee?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:24 pm

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
The dinner was green salad, breads, appetizers, 2 choices of hot main courses-different each night, desert. Breakfast was a full breakfast with eggs, bacon etc. Much more food than other lounges I've stayed in. Full bar. I even asked for a specific wine and they sent for it.

As for the room -- the letter didn't ref my rate but said they were in a busy cycle and the suites were not available. The executive floor was an upgrade in their view. I must say the room was great even tho I'm used to suites.

As far as the "best room upon availability" I find sometimes you have to discuss the suite upgrade with the staff but this was the first time I received a letter explain why I didn't receive the suite. Very nice.

The hotel has two club lounges you can use.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by goghd
The hotel has two club lounges you can use.
One is smoking. The other non-smoking.
Regarding the question about cost - there is no charge for evening appetizers. I wouldn't quite call it a meal - besides the food in Seoul is too good to pass up, based on a free appetizer buffet. Still, it is a very nice offering by the hotel.

Breakfast, on the other hand, is complete. And no charge, of course.

Aloha
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, *W Plat., AA Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clublounger
One is smoking. The other non-smoking.
Actually there are smoking areas on both the 9th and 17th floor lounges. I usually stay on the 9th floor but find the lounge on 17 is less crowded.

J
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Transport from ICN to Westin Chosun

Does anyone have a suggestion for a private car or other service to get from ICN to the Westin Chosun? I land at 9:00pm, too late for the limousine bus that goes to the Westin Chosun. I'm not comfortable taking a taxi, as my Korean vocabulary consists solely of Korean entrees...
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I have stayed at this hotel three times and have contacted the hotel and have had them arrange for their car service to pick me up. They met me after leaving customs and had me checked with my key when I entered the car. It was about the same price as a taxi. Excellent service at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.