Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Fitness Facility Closed Every First Monday

The first Monday of the month, the hotel's fitness facility is closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by ws8n
There seem to be mixed reviews on Westin Chosun.

Is the lounge lacking in food?

I'll be spending a few days at the W Walkerhill. Wondering if I should try a nite at the Westin.

FWIW, i'll be heading to Conrad Tokyo after Seoul.
The lounges are awesome. Brekkie certainly not lacking for food -- though I've seen them overrun by Japanese tourists all at once and it takes some time for the lounge to recover. Later in the day has decent warm food and drinks. The lounge staff is probably the best I've experienced. Excellent service, even took the time to help translate some business docs for us.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA - Ex Plt, Starwood - Plt
Was at Westin Chosun for 4 nights in January. Lounge had scambled eggs, plus 2 other warm items for breakfast. Staff was great.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wow - that's one heck of a cancellation fee for a $200 a night room:

Cancellation Policy If you cancel between 02/22/2009 and 06:00PM hotel time on 03/10/2009, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 06:00PM hotel time on 03/10/2009, the forfeiture amount will be NZD 250000.00. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
I believe that's $125,000 USD to cancel. For that, I could probably stay there the whole year (maybe even two or three years)...

Looking forward to staying here based on the majority of the previous reports - it's certainly a lot more expensive than the other *W properties...
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:39 pm

There seem to be mixed reviews on Westin Chosun.

Is the lounge lacking in food?

I'll be spending a few days at the W Walkerhill. Wondering if I should try a nite at the Westin.
W, Westin Chosun is fab. Stayed there twice and the lounge (higher floor one) was one of the best. ^ The only gripe I have is about Westin's definition of an upgraded room for Plat.
Old May 27, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sheraton Walkerhill and W Seoul Walkerhill has this special condition -
VAT Fees

Through December 31, 2009, Korean residents will incur a 10 % VAT charge. The 10% vat fee will be waived for foreign tourists` accommodation bills. Please contact the hotel for further information.

However, it wasn't listed at Westin Chosun. Does that mean VAT is not waived at Westin Chosun?
It is even though the booking shows it as being included. Only 1%, rather than 11% tax was added to the bill so the final total was less than quoted on spg.com
Old May 29, 2009, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The hotel does not appear to have any 2010 inventory listed. I tried five different 3-night date ranges in the first four months of 2010, and it shows as sold out every time.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:07 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The hotel does not appear to have any 2010 inventory listed. I tried five different 3-night date ranges in the first four months of 2010, and it shows as sold out every time.
The hotel often has no on line availability even a few weeks out. So 2010 is waaaayy to far for the Westin Chosun.
Give them a call and they will have rooms and a price.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The hotel often has no on line availability even a few weeks out. So 2010 is waaaayy to far for the Westin Chosun.
Give them a call and they will have rooms and a price.
Thanks. Still in trip planning stage, so knowing if they'll have C&P for two rooms will be a potential determining factor. (I'm a lowly Gold so I'm not expecting much in terms of amenities...)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Thanks. Still in trip planning stage, so knowing if they'll have C&P for two rooms will be a potential determining factor. (I'm a lowly Gold so I'm not expecting much in terms of amenities...)
Definitely worth calling if you're looking for C&P . . . apparently it does not always come up on the website for some Asian properties (and perhaps properties elsewhere in the world, who knows) even when it's available. Just had luck getting a C&P reservation at the Westin Chaoyang in Beijing with SPG central reservations despite website not showing it. However, even for hotels that offer reservations further out than the Westin Seoul, this may be a bit early to find C&P availability for 2010.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Recently stayed in Westin Chosun Busan and please take a look of my flickr pictures
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:06 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
LOVED the in-room computer here!

I enjoyed my nights at the W but with the location and amenities I will be staying at the Westin Chosun next time I'm in Seoul.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by millburnmike
Even further away from everything are the hotels south of the Han River such as the W.
Correction - W Seoul is in Gwanjang dong, which is on the northern side of the Han River (same side as the Westin), only further off to the east.

I still love the location of the W as it is close to Gangbyun where there is a Technomart with all the bestest food on its basement food court (B1). it's also close to the river - I actually walked across one of the bridges on foot and got a tranquil view of the Han river at night. the bridge is within walking distance from Ganbyun as well.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Westin Chosun gets #1 rating of all Seoul hotels at Tripadvisor.com.

Does it deserve that accolade?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:51 am

The Westin is probably one of the three best hotels in Seoul, along with the Park Hyatt (near the COEX) and the W out on Walker Hill.

In Seoul, though, it makes the most sense to stay in the area of town in which you'll spend the bulk of your time. For the City Hall area north of the river, the Westin is easily the best hotel, and outperforms the Seoul Plaza, Lotte, Millenium Hilton and Grand Hyatt on Namsan (which often seems much 'busier' and has small rooms, but does have a nice outdoor pool).

It also beats most hotels south of the river, including the Renaissance, the two Intercons, JW Marriott. The Park Hyatt is located in this area as well, which can be an hour+ by car if traffic is heavy (but maybe 20-25 minutes away at 3am when the taxi drivers make up for lost time earlier in the day!). The W is also good, but about the same distance from the Westin, located slightly north of the COEX area in East Seoul.

So, the Chosun is very good, and certainly brings up the average when compared to many other Westins elsewhere.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: Starwood
Which is better for tourists?

Will be staying a couple of nights in early March...

Which location is better for sightseeing: the W or the Westin Chosun?

Thanks!
Dina

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.