Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Fitness Facility Closed Every First Monday

The first Monday of the month, the hotel's fitness facility is closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 8:39 pm

Nickel & Diming in Seoul

-----

Last edited by Canista; Jun 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm Reason: merged into master thread which also speaks of recent problems
Old May 29, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canista, IIRC park hyatt and shilla (club) are best regarded in luxury hotels forum.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 30, 2008 at 12:13 am
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Lurker II, no action necessary problem amicably resolved

Originally Posted by Canista
was initially given a room there and it has a very strong smell of wet plaster… took ages to get a new room, having been initially told the hotel was fully booked... but not before being asked if someone could come and check the smell (ie "we don't trust our guests")....
While not at the Seoul property, this type of thing also occurred at the Westin Chosun Busan at the end of May. Perhaps the culture of Korea has evolved since I spent 6 months there 40 years ago, but I got the exact same type of thing at 2:09 a.m. when I finally called the duty manager about the screaming, shouting and door slamming that had been going on for a number of hours on the floor assigned. He wanted to come to my room to verify the issue, "Not!". My reaction was exactly the same as Canista's.

Thankfully Starwood customer service resolved the issue promptly through the normal problem resolution channels.

I was prompted to find this thread due to the other thread concerning problem resolution and the use of real names. Believe me the hotel knows my name and SPG number, but not my FT handle.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:58 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi opushomes,

Thank you for your message.

It definitely helps as I have not been to Korea before. (Chances are pretty low too.)

Actually, regardless of where the property is located, from a Customer service point of view, it is polite to follow up with a review, especially since it is a negative one.

The guest, however, has the right not to provide his details to the property for any possible reasons and I have to respect that.

I shall return the discussion back to its original topic on Westin Chosun.

Have a great weekend.

[email protected]
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just completed another stay there at the Westin Chosun incl. Mrs. DUF and Micro DUF and it was a great experience.

Got upgraded to a suite, club floor access, fresh fruit delivered after checkin. A very nice room and the 100% Platinum treatment which made the stay a great experience. Location of the hotel is of course great which helped because the weather was shocking.

The only small downside was that quite a few people in customer service spoke very little English and my Korean is not the best even so I used to live there.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Just stayed in the Westin Chosun Korea as well and didn't see any of the complaints mentioned here. It actually looked like it had been remodeled to the Westin look. Great room, great club lounge, service was perfect, and you can't beat the location - very central.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Recent Stay

I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread! I recently went to Seoul for a long weekend. Unfortunately, I am no longer Platinum so was not eligible for all of the best benefits but I found the hotel nice, and Cash and Points made it a great deal. Here are a few of my thoughts which I hope can help some else.

The KAL Limousine Bus was great, very reasonably prices and a pretty quick ride. On the way there everyone was going to the Westin so we avoided any other stops. It probably took about 90 minutes from the Airport to the hotel. Protests over US beef had the streets clogged near the hotel which caused some delay. You can buy the tickets right near the exit and they appear to leave twice an hour after 8 pm.

I had a room on the 15th floor that overlooked the temple next to the hotel. I found the room clean and very functional. While the hotel features the Heavenly Bed, I though the actual mattress was harder then normal and the pillows a little softer. They are doing work on pipes and I was without water for most of Saturday (no problem for the morning but after sightseeing I needed a shower before dinner and had to plan around it). I really liked the built in universal power outlets above the desk. The bath was nice but I hate the glass door that only extends half way across the shower, with all the water on the floor after the shower I wonder how I manage to do that (have the same problem at the FRA Sheraton). The staff was warm and eager to address any service needs. The location was great; it was about two blocks to the nearest underground station. I had dinner in the Ninth Gate restaurant which was nice, be careful when selecting Champaign from the cart I had two glasses that came close to $60 dollars. I think the concierge was nice but didn’t necessary go over the top – getting details beyond the basics was a challenge.

During my visit I had a chance to visit a friend at the Park Hyatt. Just for comparison sake, I also liked this Hotel. Room and Bath seemed comparable to the Westin, but was slightly more modern and smaller. Where I think the Hyatt beats the Westin is in the amenities, many more restaurants and bars that were packed on a Saturday night. The drawback to this hotel is the location on the hill (nice views from high floors). For most of the sights I visited from the Hyatt I would need to take a cab versus walking or taking the under ground from the Westin (although cabs were pretty cheap).
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:08 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777Brian

They are doing work on pipes and I was without water for most of Saturday (no problem for the morning but after sightseeing I needed a shower before dinner and had to plan around it).
hmmm, no word of any construction on *W website regarding this property, do you recall if this was going to be a long term project ?

Also, FYI for anyone who is going to be in Seoul during mid September this year, there are a number of FT'ers who will be in town, some staying at the Chosun, click my signature for more info.

--
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:33 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
hmmm, no word of any construction on *W website regarding this property, do you recall if this was going to be a long term project ?--
Hi Sweet Willie,

I believe it might be part of a servicing project for that day only. But I have dropped a note to the property to confirm again.

[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:20 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I have a 09:50 flight out of ICN. Does the shuttle from the Westin Chosun leave early enough (06:30?) to make this flight?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:00 am
DH

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I have a 09:50 flight out of ICN. Does the shuttle from the Westin Chosun leave early enough (06:30?) to make this flight?
The KAL Limousine bus starts running at 5:35 am with 15 - 20 min intervals; check out the KAL Limousine bus schedule at

http://www.kallimousine.com/eng/schedule_en.asp
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
There seem to be mixed reviews on Westin Chosun.

Is the lounge lacking in food?

I'll be spending a few days at the W Walkerhill. Wondering if I should try a nite at the Westin.

FWIW, i'll be heading to Conrad Tokyo after Seoul.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ws8n
i'll be heading to Conrad Tokyo after Seoul.
We did them in the other order last November. Even though the Chosun was nice, it certainly didn't come close to the Conrad Tokyo.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Sheraton Walkerhill and W Seoul Walkerhill has this special condition -
VAT Fees

Through December 31, 2009, Korean residents will incur a 10 % VAT charge. The 10% vat fee will be waived for foreign tourists` accommodation bills. Please contact the hotel for further information.

However, it wasn't listed at Westin Chosun. Does that mean VAT is not waived at Westin Chosun?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
THe Westin Chosun is STILL my favorite hotel in world. Location, service, lounge (definitely not lacking in choices). I was there again in December for 10 nights. They have always treated this Plat VERY right.

Aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.