Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 21, 11:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
As per post 282, hotel is not taking any reservations for the foreseeable future (will be a quarantine hotel for flight crew).

Hotel email address: [email protected]>
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 21, 19, 11:15 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 8,530
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
In 30 minutes you could be at the JW front desk. When you count walk to the loading area and the drive to SkyCity, you could definitely be in your room faster at the JW.
It is 5 minutes seated wait at the Marriott transfer desk at B05, less than 1-minute escorted walk to the loading area, and 5 minutes car drive to the SkyCity hotel. You are at the hotel in 10-15 minutes after exiting customs. It is extremely easy, one of the easiest airport transfers.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 21, 19 at 11:20 am
nk15 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:41 am
  #227  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,832
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
It is 5 minutes seated wait at the Marriott transfer desk at B05, less than 1-minute escorted walk to the loading area, and 5 minutes car drive to the SkyCity hotel. You are at the hotel in 10-15 minutes after exiting customs. It is extremely easy, one of the easiest airport transfers.
Did you even read the post I quoted? 30 minutes between shuttle buses.

I've stayed at this property. I waited quite a long time for the shuttle. There is very little, if any, time advantage vs. taking Airport Express into Hong Kong. It is cheaper than the JW, but that's a different reason for staying here.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 12:30 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 8,530
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Did you even read the post I quoted? 30 minutes between shuttle buses.

I've stayed at this property. I waited quite a long time for the shuttle. There is very little, if any, time advantage vs. taking Airport Express into Hong Kong. It is cheaper than the JW, but that's a different reason for staying here.
I guess it may depend on the time of the day you arrive. In the evening/night it is a quick car ride (SUV or other luxury car).
Happy likes this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:08 pm
  #229  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Posts: 2,067
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
I guess it may depend on the time of the day you arrive. In the evening/night it is a quick car ride (SUV or other luxury car).
Interesting. I've stayed there twice. Both times, someone escorted me to a limo and then drove me to the hotel. My wife assumed it was because of my ambassador status. (that helped diminish some of her misgivings about my frequent travel). So is it just a time-of-day thing? If so, when is the last shuttle run?
Happy likes this.
porciuscato is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:21 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 8,530
I am just speculating that it may be a time of day thing, as Kacee is Plat Premier and got the bus. Hard to tell for sure. Or it may be a more recent change, although they definitely use the bus from hotel to airport.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 23, 19 at 3:46 am
nk15 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:38 pm
  #231  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yangon
Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Posts: 297
Gold and above get the car transfer if it is available. I would estimate on average I wait about 10 minutes for the car to arrive. It is about 2 minute walk to the where car picks you up. If you do not qualify or there is no car available then it is about a 5 minute walk to where the bus departs from. The bus goes every 15 and 45 minutes past the hour. As both the car and the bus basically go from the same place the transfer time is the same for both of them. With no traffic I have timed it at 3 minutes, with some traffic 5 minutes.

When going to the airport there is no car service, The bus leaves on the hour and half hour. The transit time is the same 3 to 5 minutes. The bus drops you off right outside the entrance to T1 so no walk.

To me it is much quicker and easier than getting the train into town for a night.
Happy likes this.
Lobster is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 8:00 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,408
How early will they allow a Platinum to check in? I have a flight arriving around 6 AM and thought this hotel may be a better option for an early check in than the downtown alternatives - right or wrong?

Also, are the evening snacks likely to do for a light dinner?
puchong is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 9:06 pm
  #233  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,832
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
I've stayed there twice. Both times, someone escorted me to a limo and then drove me to the hotel
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
Gold and above get the car transfer if it is available.
I don't have an explanation why I did not get a car. I waited at least fifteen minutes in the crowded arrivals lobby for the shuttle, on which I was the only passenger. I was met at the hotel by the duty manager who escorted me to my room. The next morning, the bus back to the terminal was chaotic and unpleasant with flight crews and large families with lots of luggage.

Suffice it to stay my one SkyCity overnight was not a success. I've overnighted in Hong Kong well over a dozen times over the past few years (mostly at Conrad or Hyatt TST). I consider HK Express the best airport transit in the world. I really enjoy walking around Kowloon at night, even after a late arrival. Then I go for a run on Bowen Road or the Kowloon waterfront in the morning before heading back to the airport. To me that is a far better experience than staying at the airport, especially since SkyCity is no more than a 15-20 minute time-savings each way, and that's if everything works perfectly.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 12:57 am
  #234  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Montral, Canada
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't have an explanation why I did not get a car. I waited at least fifteen minutes in the crowded arrivals lobby for the shuttle, on which I was the only passenger. I was met at the hotel by the duty manager who escorted me to my room. The next morning, the bus back to the terminal was chaotic and unpleasant with flight crews and large families with lots of luggage.

Suffice it to stay my one SkyCity overnight was not a success. I've overnighted in Hong Kong well over a dozen times over the past few years (mostly at Conrad or Hyatt TST). I consider HK Express the best airport transit in the world. I really enjoy walking around Kowloon at night, even after a late arrival. Then I go for a run on Bowen Road or the Kowloon waterfront in the morning before heading back to the airport. To me that is a far better experience than staying at the airport, especially since SkyCity is no more than a 15-20 minute time-savings each way, and that's if everything works perfectly.
While I completely agree with you that being in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island is much more appealing than being captive in the SkyCity and/or CityGate enclaves, I just cannot justify the additional cost of staying at a premium brand and having to take public transit, no matter how efficient, just to sleep for six or seven hours, most likely missing both the evening reception and breakfast service. For those who have more time, by all means, staying in town is always a treat. In every one of my stays, even the one time when I booked using an OTA, I have always been on the list to be picked up with the car service. There must have been some miscommunication in your case, Mr. K. The property is highly efficient, and will be all the better when all rooms have been refurbished.
Happy likes this.
flyme2 is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 8:01 am
  #235  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,832
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
I just cannot justify the additional cost of staying at a premium brand
I completely see your point on cost, but as I noted earlier, that is a different justification for staying at SkyCity. Personally, I found no added convenience. My morning trip back to the airport was if anything more stressful than I'm used to coming in Airport Express.

Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
most likely missing both the evening reception and breakfast service
To each their own. I'd take the excellent Conrad restaurant breakfast over a Marriott lounge spread every time.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 1:37 pm
  #236  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Montral, Canada
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I completely see your point on cost, but as I noted earlier, that is a different justification for staying at SkyCity. Personally, I found no added convenience. My morning trip back to the airport was if anything more stressful than I'm used to coming in Airport Express.


To each their own. I'd take the excellent Conrad restaurant breakfast over a Marriott lounge spread every time.
No argument, there. Because of the usual brevity of my overnight stays, and my early flights ex-HKG, I would not be able to take advantage of a Conrad or JW breakfast. Also, be aware that breakfast is available in the Marriott SkyCity's restaurant to elites, as well as the EL. It's all a matter of timing, for both of us it seems.
flyme2 is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 3:53 am
  #237  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yangon
Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Posts: 297
Just a note to warn people that the executive lounge is now shut for renovations. There is a temporary lounge on the ground floor. I didn't have a chance to use it as my stay was just to get a few hours sleep, so I did not use the lounge
Lobster is offline  
Old Jun 15, 19, 5:18 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 866
I have one night stay at SkyCity and will need to make a trip to Central area for dinner. Wondering what my options are re: coming back to the hotel at 10PM at night.

Airport Express?
jonisflying likes this.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:47 pm
  #239  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: TPA
Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
Posts: 374
Yes, airport express is what I would do!
jonisflying is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:35 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,652
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
Just a note to warn people that the executive lounge is now shut for renovations. There is a temporary lounge on the ground floor. I didn't have a chance to use it as my stay was just to get a few hours sleep, so I did not use the lounge
I just noticed this post which move me to change my reservation for the middle of next week. I did find an old note when I made the reservation that warned of floor renovation starting in April 2018 and that airport renovation moved the pick-up location.

Does anyone know what kind of food is offered weekdays in the mornings and evenings in this ‘temporary’ lounge at the hotel?

Edited to say I called the lounge and was told the ‘lounge’ is open, but it was not clear to me if this is the original small lounge or the temporary replacement.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 21, 19 at 6:25 am
Xeno is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread