Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer

Hotel email address: [email protected]>
Print Wikipost

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The housekeeper thing seems a bit of an overreaction on your part.
Agreed.

Service staff (or human beings in general) say all kind of things amongst themselves, and her choice of word is nothing insulting or malicious; they're paid poorly and work hard, and gossiping is probably part of their coping mechanism to entertain themselves and to de-stress. The unfortunate thing is that you happened to have overheard her. As you noticed, she looked nervous after that realization and most likely learned her lesson and will be more careful going forward about whom to say what to where and when.

It's a small incident that does not warrant such drama and analysis, let alone anguish.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The housekeeper thing seems a bit of an overreaction on your part.
"a bit" of an overreaction? My God. The OP must be looking for the Drama Queen award.
This is perhaps the most ridiculous post I've read here in a long, long time.

Let's backtrack. The OP was provided with an unexpected upgraded beautiful suite complete with all modern amenities. However, he took umbrage when he believed that he overheard the housekeeper refer to him as "avaricious" in a private conversation with another staff member.

And he describes being called avaricious as:

"the most outrageous remark a housekeeping staff can make behind guests".
"shocked by her remarks and literally feeling cornered during that moment"
"dehumanising"

Sir, being called avaricious is FAR FROM the most outrageous remark a housekeeping staff member can make.

If you felt "shocked" and "dehumanized" by her remark, then you either lead the most charmed life on this planet or you are an attention-seeking drama queen who should seriously consider professional therapy.

This sentence may be the most telling:
"What am I suppose to believe if she told me next time that the room is clean while she might actually like one of those internet videos coming from China in which the housekeeper use a toilet brush to wash the mouthwash cup."

To even think that, much less put it in writing is simply mind-boggling. It also provides some much needed insight and context into your warped sense of values and priorities.

You end your tale by taking a figurative bow for showing compassion for this poor woman who is likely an immigrant form the mainland who needs the job to support her family back home. Yet that compassion didn't last long. You were so bothered and irritated by this uppity housekeeper that you e-mailed the hotel manager to "demand" an explanation for this perceived slight. Did you also give the name of this poor woman? It really doesn't make a difference since they have your name, know the dates of your stay and room # so they can figure out the perpetrator of this heinous crime.

I hope and pray that you didn't cost this poor woman her job.
You should take the time to re-read your post. Your sense of moral outrage at this alleged remark, said behind your back, shows you lack any semblance of humanity and decency. Furthermore, you have absolutely NO moral compass.

Take a look at what's going on in this world - starvation, famine, war, poverty, etc... That's what should be cause for outrage.

Sir, you are an immature crybaby who needs to grow a pair.
Get a grip. Get a life.

My 2 cents.

NEWMAN

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:59 pm Reason: Fixed Signature to fit FT guidelines.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I think OP's rating on status recognition is a little bit low considering the early suit upgrade:

Status Recognition: 7.9/10

What else you want?
lexdevil and Konismarck like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:31 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emofeng
Hmmm. Nice review. But as far as your issue with the housekeeper, we might need more context. If I'm reading correctly, you heard a housekeeper say something to another employee of the hotel about you and you took offense? Just trying to understand.
Yes, all her remakrs were made in Mandarin which to put into the cutural context, it is more seriously than being called greedy, I told this story to many chinese freuqent travellers, they said I am the coward not to ask her to apologize in my face and ask the duty manager right away just so she learn a good lesson.

I believe that's also why they are also more admittedly generous when deciding to give me 10,000 marriott points for compensation, both in HK and China, it could be taken as ....-offensive.

But I do realize that when write down everything in english, it does not sound that serious, so I guess on my part when hearing the housekeeper's remark, I was using the Chinese sense in which I am in need of a "emperor" treatment, but I aslo turned on my western moral compass to not make a bigger scene than it already is.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:34 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tomwhom
I think OP's rating on status recognition is a little bit low considering the early suit upgrade:

Status Recognition: 7.9/10

What else you want?
Presidential ... ?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Konismarck
Presidential ... ?
You're really not doing your image any favors here.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't understand why people post dozens of pictures of stuff no one cares about, including bottles of water, the Thann toiletries, and the inside of the refrigerator.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:56 pm

Yes, all her remakrs were made in Mandarin which to put into the cutural context, it is more seriously than being called greedy, I told this story to many chinese freuqent travellers, they said I am the coward not to ask her to apologize in my face and ask the duty manager right away just so she learn a good lesson.

I believe that's also why they are also more admittedly generous when deciding to give me 10,000 marriott points for compensation, both in HK and China, it could be taken as ....-offensive.

But I do realize that when write down everything in english, it does not sound that serious, so I guess on my part when hearing the housekeeper's remark, I was using the Chinese sense in which I am in need of a "emperor" treatment, but I aslo turned on my western moral compass to not make a bigger scene than it already is.
I am a native Chinese speaker, and 贪心 is not particularly insulting; it just means "greedy." In the context of gossiping with her colleagues, it's just one of many remarks they can make about hotel guests, no different than messy, demanding, etc. If she had said it to your face, I would agree that it was an insult. Again, it was unfortunate that you overheard the comment.

For your own sake, please let it go and try not to carry unnecessary anger and negativity within.
lexdevil and tomwhom like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand why people post dozens of pictures of stuff no one cares about, including bottles of water, the Thann toiletries, and the inside of the refrigerator.
This is Flyertalk, is it not?! Plenty of people would post dozens of photos of the airplane seat, video screen, wine glass, etc. from different angles and in different zoom and framing. Why not post 300 photos when 3 would suffice to convey the same information...
Old May 26, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Presidential ... ?
I will stay here on Memorial Monday for Tuesday UA HKG-SFO flight. As Gold if get Suit, I would rate it 9.5 for elite recognition, if only executive room, at least 8.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:22 am

Hmm, are you a mainlander? Because Hong Kong doesn't use simplified, nor does Taiwan.

Why would you ask "Chinese" about what to do? They aren't know for having manners, nor known for being liked by other countries.

Why did you want a bigger bottle of lotion? Is it ok to be greedy? Many people like to take hotel toiletries, especially if they like it, and wouldn't mind if someone said they were greedy. Like people who take stuff from lounges.
don't know where you got the "avaricious" from, but that simply isn't the right translation. I would presume 贪鬼 would be closer to that.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:36 am

I clicked through to the OP's link to presumably his website, whose bio says that the OP is now 18 years old.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I felt like I showed enough consideration for her, as she might be one of those workers immigrated from mainland China and might be depending on this job to support her family back home, thus I didn't want to make it difficult for her. Besides Hong Kong right now is in labour force shortage. What still kept irritated me til this day is that she showed no consideration to me while I went out my way to think in her shoes; thus I've decided to write an email and demand an explanation from their duty manager, the email was concise and expressed my concern in a calmly manner, and I got a decent apology email and a compensation plan in 10,000 Marriott rewards points.

I tried to reply to that email and emphasise on my stance of asking them to do what is right instead of asking them to treat me like one of those guest who will have an attitude towards everything just to get points out of the program, however I never got a reply forwarding that email.
You had already received a "decent apology" plus points. What reply did you want when you asked them to "do what is right" in the 2nd email? For the employee to be reprimanded/fired?
Newman likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wow, I think this is another DYKWIA thing. OP only stay for a night and why would he/she needed an extra 40ml of body lotion? As Platinum I got a bigger room, not a suite - and it's no big deal as I'm happy with what I get - enough room for myself and the kids. The housekeeping sometimes gave out 2 sets of each for 4 people - and if you really feel consideration about her, then why even complained in the first place. I think if it happened to me I'll just tell the lounge staff and just let them to tell the housekeeping staff to be careful.

The hotel offered a limo to take us back to the airport as we had an early flight - I didn't ask for it, they offered it when I was asking them if they could store the bags the night before so I can grab the kids up and go so that we could make the shuttle to the airport.

I know a lot of Chinese travellers like to complain to get apology and possible compensation - just because they would do something like that doesn't mean it's right.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
You had already received a "decent apology" plus points. What reply did you want when you asked them to "do what is right" in the 2nd email? For the employee to be reprimanded/fired?
Originally Posted by nacho
Wow, I think this is another DYKWIA thing. OP only stay for a night and why would he/she needed an extra 40ml of body lotion? As Platinum I got a bigger room, not a suite - and it's no big deal as I'm happy with what I get - enough room for myself and the kids. The housekeeping sometimes gave out 2 sets of each for 4 people - and if you really feel consideration about her, then why even complained in the first place. I think if it happened to me I'll just tell the lounge staff and just let them to tell the housekeeping staff to be careful.

The hotel offered a limo to take us back to the airport as we had an early flight - I didn't ask for it, they offered it when I was asking them if they could store the bags the night before so I can grab the kids up and go so that we could make the shuttle to the airport.

I know a lot of Chinese travellers like to complain to get apology and possible compensation - just because they would do something like that doesn't mean it's right.
This complain thread in the HH forum should provide some insight on how the hotels and program managements view these mainland Chinese.

Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !!

HHonor shut down their accounts based on, among other things, their frequent complaints on their stays in different properties.

The trivial complain to hotels to get points / compensation can backfire badly.

The OP's complaint is utterly trivial. And yes, he is GREEDY, for a one night stay, he wants 2 bottles of the 40ml lotion when only 1 in the suite he was not satisfied. He only gave 7.9/10 on a suite upgrade for being a Gold. If this is not translated to being Greedy I dont know what else would be. Especially he said he would only give higher rating when being upgraded to Presidential Suite.

There is a word in Chinese for such person.- 不要臉 , Shameless.
tom911, Newman and SESTAR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.