Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Bali Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyard Bali Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updates! Much appreciated.

And it's good to know about getting taxi from the hotel vs. outside for those of us who don't have iphones or Android based phones.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I'm just finishing up a stay at this hotel. Overall, I've been quite pleased with the stay. I'm a Platinum, and like others, got macaroon and bottled water welcome gift. I used my two Chase Marriott rewards certificates to cover two nights, and points for the other two nights.

Breakfast is amazing. Nearly as good as the Renaissance in Phuket. My only complaint is that each day 4-5 times during breakfast the staff would ask me if I wanted coffee or tea. Once is quite enough, thank you.

I only ate breakfast here, as there are number of great lunch and dinner places. The security at the hotel was kind of odd. First, let me say I've stayed at the Marriott in Bogota, which has high security (and probably rightly so). But security here was even higher. Metal detector and xray machine for everyone going into the hotel. Cars get routed through a security stop where there's a bomb sniffing dog, the car is inspected, mirrors to look under the car, and they check registration as well. You'd think we were in a third world country. While I appreciate the attention to security, it is a bit unnerving and you wonder what's so insecure about Seminyak that they need this protection.

They also had free popcorn and candy in the afternoon for anyone. Staff was quite friendly. Room was in mint condition, very good bed, great English TV channel options, and the airconditioning works quite well.

The floor layout is a bit odd, and the breakfast area can be a bit of a hike depending on where your room is.

I would have no problem recommending this hotel if you want to stay in Seminyak.

Update: Breakfast was free for me (Plat). The Sheraton Kuta has similar security measures, so this is not unique to Marriott. "Local" brands of hotels have little/no obvious security.

Last edited by yngdiego; Aug 16, 2016 at 11:57 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
Smile Possibly the best courtyard i have ever stayed in

I stayed four night over end June/beginning of July.
possibly the best courtyard i have every stayed in, beats all of them in the US and Europe hands down. The room is a good size (not huge) but well designed. Bathroom is big, with a nice roomy rainforest shower. Room has all the accoutrements -- fridge, water kettle, etc. The food is good -- breakfast is a huge spread and included in most room rates. The pools are very good -- long enough to swim laps and water is very clean. The whole property is very clean in fact. The staff are super nice, super friendly, etc. The only thing is that you have to go through security X ray every time you enter the hotel, including if you only went across the street to the convenience store. A pain in the neck.
Shuttle to the center of town is also very convenient. Highly recommended.
bizum likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've been meaning to write a review. Stayed here twice already and another coming up soon. I'm not a "Seminyak person" but always need a night on the way to/from somewhere ...else (better)

Anyway both times used a Cat 5 cert and got treated like royalty checking in, including upgraded to a pool view suite on the top floor without asking.
REALLY nice room although the echoing from the screaming Aussie kids at the pool is annoying.
The breakfast is out of this world with an excellent noodle soup bar and waffles with ice cream! The place gets to be a bit of a madhouse at certain times (the same screaming kids running rampant). This is definitely a family friendly place, not where I'd go for my honeymoon.
Not sure who eats other meals here with so many fantastic restaurants in the area. Management is always around to see if you need anything (like a side of hot chilies).
Its hard to believe this is a Courtyard.

I saw the beach club they use -- its beautiful, but also not my thing, so I didn't use it.

I think its funny when I hear people complain about the security. Really? Its TOO secure for you?
bizum likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
"too secure"

I think its funny when I hear people complain about the security. Really? Its TOO secure for you?

the complaint about "security check" is that the check doesn't actually catch anyone carrying dangerous items. they need to question people who enter the hotel, but obvious guests aren't likely to be bringing in bombs etc. I asked the security team what they are finding on a daily/weekly basis. they showed me 1) a swiss army knife. 2) a small kitchen knife like the one used to cut lemons. So a lot of hassle EVERY TIME, for no real effect.
If they were in a very public street, with a lot of traffic, then fine, have x ray and scanning. But here, where they're in the middle of a lightly traveled tourist strip, its obvious who is a guest and who is not. They just need to be alert to entering "non-guests" rather than making us go through the "'security" charade.
(this whole check reminds me of taking shoes off at the US airports, as if that's going to make us all safer...)
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xp2000

the complaint about "security check" is that the check doesn't actually catch anyone carrying dangerous items. they need to question people who enter the hotel, but obvious guests aren't likely to be bringing in bombs etc. I asked the security team what they are finding on a daily/weekly basis. they showed me 1) a swiss army knife. 2) a small kitchen knife like the one used to cut lemons. So a lot of hassle EVERY TIME, for no real effect.
If they were in a very public street, with a lot of traffic, then fine, have x ray and scanning. But here, where they're in the middle of a lightly traveled tourist strip, its obvious who is a guest and who is not. They just need to be alert to entering "non-guests" rather than making us go through the "'security" charade.
(this whole check reminds me of taking shoes off at the US airports, as if that's going to make us all safer...)
No, they haven't caught anyone with a bomb because someone with a bomb is not going thru security -- THAT is why there IS security.

You think checking to see if everyone is a guest would take a shorter amount of time then just walking through a metal detector? Let's see, I have to fish for my key... I suppose I should have picture ID to match, including everyone in my party. What if I want to bring a guest in for a drink? What if a non-guest wants to enter the lobby for a drink or just to look around? Maybe they can do a bit of racial profiling and not let any locals in? Would that work for you?

And I don't believe they would take my "lemon knife". That's not what they're looking for obviously.

Last edited by chavala; Aug 18, 2016 at 8:50 am Reason: sp
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I noticed the other 2 Bali properties offer 20% discount off food/beverage (well last reports in the exec lounge sticky they did). Is that true of this property?

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I noticed the other 2 Bali properties offer 20% discount off food/beverage (well last reports in the exec lounge sticky they did). Is that true of this property?

Cheers.
Yes they were still offering the 20% F&B discount a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
I really don't want to to take this off topic further but I have to note the security is quick, painless and polite.

As to the suggestion of making sure only guests can enter, the 2009 Jakarta bombings of the JW and Ritz Carlton were committed by checked in guests. Needless to say I trust the Marriott Security team measures.
bizum likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Arrived by Taxi and immiediately checked in. We were asked to sit while we waited for a available receptionist. When we were in the room, I realized I have left my mobile at the Taxi. Immediately went to the front desk to ask for help. Mr. Cinko assisted us and inquired the approximate time we arrived at the hotel, and got the taxi license plate number from the security guards. He asked us to just relax and go back to our rooms. Long story short, the mobile phone was returned to me in less than an hour. Excellent service.

I use to think it is a hassle to have every vehicle checked, but boy am I glad the security logged all incoming cars license plate numbers. In Indonesia, it is better safe dan sorry.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Glad you got your phone back. Enjoy your stay!

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:26 am

[QUOTE=xp2000;27076112] The only thing is that you have to go through security X ray every time you enter the hotel, including if you only went across the street to the convenience store. [QUOTE]

Am I the only one appreciating this commitment to security? Especially in a muslim country with a history of terrorism directed at tourists.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Anyone stayed here recently?

Need a hotel for a week in the area and haven't stayed with Marriott / Starwood, so not sure what to expect.

Gold Elite with Marriott, so not sure if we will get any benefits here.

Have to be in the Canggu area daily and the Hilton / Conrad is a bit far.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
I stayed back in Feb'17.
As a gold got upgraded from garden view to pool view room and got free breakfast for two.

service was good and the are have quite a lot of cafe/bars in the vicinity (though a bit far from proper seminyak area)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.