Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
* 10% discount coupon at Restaurant ZK (57F), Live Kitchen COOKA (19F), LOUNGE PLUS (19F), & BAR PLUS (19F). (received as a Platinum, unknown if given to other elite or all hotel guests)
* The hotel elevators require a swipe below the floor buttons to access the guest floors.
*The club lounge welcomes all children 6am-7:30pm; over the junior high school student are welcome after 7:30pm
*Access information from the hotel including step by step pictures.

Club Lounge
Print Wikipost

Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Too bad about the points, but sounds great otherwise!

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Too bad about the points, but sounds great otherwise!

Cheers.
Yes, and also too bad that we are only here for two nights, so can't really enjoy this (there's an actual shower also, but without the view).

Also, our package includes full breakfast in the restaurant, buffet is overwhelming (good), so can't comment on lounge breakfast, but quite pleased with afternoon tea and evening drinks and hors d'oeuvres.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by garkster
................can't really enjoy this (there's an actual shower also, but without the view). quite pleased with afternoon tea and evening drinks and hors d'oeuvres.
We have just completed another excellent 5 night stay at this hotel. The only negative thing I would say about it, is that the evening food offering in the lounge is almost identical every night.
The hot choices are two soups alternating - cauliflower one night , pumpkin the next and some excellent carved roast beef with mashed potato, carrot and lotus root. First night we thought
it was really good. We didn't use the lounge every night, but the staff confirmed that the food is the same each night.

Nick
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: nobody
I am planning on a 5 nights award stay at this property in October, should I book it now and wait & see category change in August?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I am planning on a 5 nights award stay at this property in October, should I book it now and wait & see category change in August?
I used a 7 night cat8 cert on this for a stay early next year. Based on the prices I often see for the property, I can't imagine Marriott is going to put it in the new cat5 at 35k down from the current 40k per night, so that would mean it has to go to at cat6 for 50k. In your case, I see no harm in booking because if it goes up they should honor the point rate from when you made the reservation. If it does go down, and there's award space, just make a new booking at the lower rate and cancel your existing one.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Thanks to all the fellow FT members for sharing. Just stayed here this week for 2 nights. As described by most others I was only upgraded to a higher level room as a lifetime gold member(can't complain since I lost my Platinum status) but the room is indeed very nice with a stunning view. They were nice enough to allow two kids under 12 to share the room using existing beds. Though, I would appreciate even more if they kindly offered an upgrade to the rooms with larger beds(even with an upgrade fee) given they have a few available. The beds are a bit on the small side for two adults and two kids and no roll-away beds can be added. Otherwise everything else was perfect. Having stayed at Courtyard Taipei just a week earlier, I'd say the service here seems just a tad better and of course the view is way better. However overall for a family of four Courtyard Taipei was a slightly better experience given the much larger beds and free upgrade to an executive room. (it also cost only half the points, which was a real steal.) It can also a bit challenging if you have many large bags for family travel since the lobby is not at the ground floor. So this property may be best used for a romantic getaway or business travel. I was also impressed that lounges at both Osaka Marriott and Courtyard Taipei are open until midnight. I have a lot of respect to the hardworking staff at both properties.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:32 pm

Help needed here!

I booked this hotel back in March when it was 35000pt per night and didn’t have enough pt in account for it back then. Now I have enough pt but my booking is now showing 50000pt per night??? I booked it at 35000 but now they are charging me 50000. I have nothing to show them that when I booked it was 35000. What do I do?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Stayed here for 1 night, and was a bit underwhelmed. The hotel was nice and well located, but (as standard in Japan), the room was small.

I felt like I had to fight for an upgrade as a platinum premier member, and they upgraded me to a 'comfort room' - I suppose the best below a suite. The lounge was nice, but felt very impersonal and almost too big - more like an airport lounge.

Was also a bit underwhelmed by the gym.

I would recommend staying here, but my expectations were quite high after reading reviews, and was left feeling a little disappointed.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I just stay here today as plat member but no coupon was given for buffet and executive lounge did not have anything good. No shrimp tempura
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:35 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Can someone who has stayed here in the two double/single room confirm that the bathroom does have shades that can be closed so the other occupant doesn't have to witness you showering or using the facilities? I'm travelling across Japan with one of my buddies and while I have known the guy for 30 years we are hoping we don't have to witness each other's bathroom activities.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Can someone who has stayed here in the two double/single room confirm that the bathroom does have shades that can be closed so the other occupant doesn't have to witness you showering or using the facilities? I'm travelling across Japan with one of my buddies and while I have known the guy for 30 years we are hoping we don't have to witness each other's bathroom activities.
Yes, our room had two beds and the bathroom did have shades so no one can see...no worries.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:24 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by musicscrip

Yes, our room had two beds and the bathroom did have shades so no one can see...no worries.
Crisis averted! Guess I can cancel my backup reservation at the Moxy now

Looking forward to checking this hotel out. I stayed at the Hilton by Osaka station last time and it was great, especially the lounge and concierge service.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:19 am

Staying here now...Marriott Gold....Not sure when the other recent positive posters stayed, but weekends here are chaotic. Lots of local visitors in restaurants and public spaces around the hotel.

Check In: All staff at check in on a Saturday had 'trainee' on their nametags. Needless to say, it was unorganized and long. Tried to stand in line for Marriott Rewards members, but was quickly shuttled into main line. No recognition of status, upgrade, etc. I booked highest room category before Club Level (so not the lowest). Which is fine, but just passing on the information.
Room Service: Ordered room service and it was basically unedible. Cheese plate was served with saltine crackers and was 2,500 yen. Dessert trio was three kinds of pudding, of which, none were edible. Maybe something lost in translation from the menu?
Concierge: Only one concierge on duty. She was overwhelmed and not able to help with basic dinner reservations as she was too busy. When asking about restaurant recommendations, was given a sheet by a bellman with restaurants only directly around the hotel. I can use Google, thanks...
Directions on website: directions from subway are a joke. Anyone that has been in Japan for any amount of time knows that upon exiting the subway you need to look for exit 1,2,3,4, etc. Their directions start from the K'netsu department store. Took us forever to find our way. Google was better than their pathetic directions. When I'm at the subway tomorrow, I'll confirm exits and post here for others.
Elevator: Having to take an elevator to the 19th floor and then walk across the entire lobby to transfer to yet another elevator is a PIA. Even though the elevators from B1F say 'Marriott' 19F. They still stop and let off / take in people from interim floors (especially the observatory on 16F)
Restaurant on 57th floor: Went up there to see if we could grab a drink before heading into town for dinner. It's a restaurant and restaurant only. Can't even get near front desk to figure out what's the deal is without being asked several times if we had reservations. It's like they have a guard at the elevator. There was nothing in the room to indicate what the deal was with the 57th floor restaurant (as least in English). Was very uncomfortable just going up there to check it out.
Bathrooms: I'm not sure I would say that the bathrooms are completely private and previously posted. It's like a puzzle to get all the parts in the right places to make it like a real bathroom. 1) slide panel from glass shower open to room to sink area. 2) slide panel from sink area to close door. 3) Lower down blinds in shower. Bottom line is that you will always have light from the 'bathroom area' shining into bedroom when someone is in there. Can you see them? no, but still odd.

Views from the room are amazing and it's quite a lot of space.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
My DH and I stayed 3 nights last month and this was our third time there. Sadly the overall experience has declined from our first time and even our second time. My DH and I are both Platinums and I feel I also had to fight for an uograde but did receive it. First time we were there we were given a suite without even asking. The lounge breakfast has been cut back in their offerings and items were not replenished and they started clearing away things 5 minutes before the close time. In the past we were welcomed to the buffet on the 19th floor but this too became difficult, though we were told eventually that yes, we could dine there. The offerings there have been cut back also but unkess you had prior experience eating there you would not know it. In the evening the lounge use to have more choices also, and more choices of wine.

On our two prior visits we had not done the tea time offering and we did this time and it was very nice. Staff are very nice despite some not having very good English skills. They do smile a lot.

We love the location and the ease of access to get everywhere via Tennoji Station train/subway and the tram which is right on the corner and goes out towards the old harbor.

They do have the best toilets of any hotel we have ever stayed in in Japan. The water closets are a bit small though. The shower is great and housekeeping is very efficient. Front desk needs a bit more training to speed check in and check out.

Next time we may try the Conrad.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:46 pm

My buddy and I are arriving at Itami airport on a Wednesday night around 7:30pm. Plan to take train straight to hotel and go find food and beer. I know Tennoji will suffice that night so we can get to Kyoto the following day and tour Osaka on Friday before heading to Tokyo on Saturday.

Questions -
Is the the Marriott a good place to stay due to subway line? It looks like the Sheraton is walking distance to the heart of Dotonbori where we will probably spend two of our nights but can't decide. This trip is a bit more rushed than my first time there, and I stayed at the Hilton since it's across the street from Osaka station although it took a while to get to some of the nightlife.

Barring the Osaka Marriott being nicer, is the Sheraton a better base of operations for a 3 night stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.