Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:13 am
ski

Marriott Westchase is near the Sam Houston Tollway. Free Parking. Outback, Subways, La Madeleine, Chiles, grocery, and other dining options near or next to it. What they do right here is the upper floor club lounge which in the past had different evening themes for food ..crepes, Mexican, Asian....In my opinion - Rooms hit or miss, mattresses too soft and could use replacing. AC hallways on one side of building cold, other side warm. Unable to accurately control temp in room without calling as building generated, controls seemed to be for show, but maintenance would adjust with a call. They get groups here sometimes for dance, etc. Indoor outdoor pool and small work out area are fine, were never crowded. Full service Marriott with open area bar and restaurant in lobby. Another lounge near front desk.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Any recent experiences at the Marriott North? I've been there a few years back and liked it despite its location. Found a great rate for an upcoming trip (59$) and therefore might go back. Is the lounge still closed on the weekends?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
At least it was closed when I stayed there this past winter. Given the location I would assume that still holds true - we were given vouchers for the breakfast buffet in the restaurant.

I actually prefer the Sheraton North if you are there for a quick layover only - much closer to the airport and a lounge that is open every day of the week. Sadly rates are a lot higher than the $59 you posted, though.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I'll be there for three nights, arriving late night on a Friday. Doing some shopping on Saturday and a daytrip to Galveston on Sunday. Would prefer the Galleria area but 59$ is too good a deal not to stay here, especially when the other full service properties are more than double the price.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Muerz
Any recent experiences at the Marriott North? I've been there a few years back and liked it despite its location. Found a great rate for an upcoming trip (59$) and therefore might go back. Is the lounge still closed on the weekends?
I stayed there early Jan. The hotel is ok, nothing within walking distance. I wouldn't say that the hotel in a bad area (as I wrote we had a rental with us). The lounge is ok and I can confirm that it's not open in the weekend (I think I have reported it on FT after my stay).

There's hardly never upgrade as the hotel only has very few types of rooms.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nacho
I wouldn't say that the hotel in a bad area
The area declined a bit and was known as "Gunspoint" for a while. It has rebounded, as has the hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dayone
The area declined a bit and was known as "Gunspoint" for a while. It has rebounded, as has the hotel.
Still known as "Gunspoint" - Our bus driver reiterated this when we took the bus from downtown to IAH last fall.

David
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Just stayed 1 night on business to catch an early return flight the next day out of IAH. Property was fine and nice lounge and evening attendant. Based on the large security fence and multiple security guards paroling the parking lot, along with a quick cursory view of the surrounding area I did not venture out. Would stay again for same over night/catch a flight purpose, but otherwise...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Marriott Marquis Houston's "stately" rooftop (terrace, actually) pool nears completion. Hotel will open on a limited basis by year-end.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 23, 2017 at 7:09 pm Reason: Update broken link.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"Jay Marsella, director of sales and marketing, said that the hotel will have a soft opening on Dec. 26 with about 100 rooms already booked, but the place will really get hopping in early January when the Super Bowl staff arrives to prepare for the Feb. 4, game.

During past years, host hotels often were on full or partial lockdown so the public couldn't get into the hotel hosting the event's biggest VIPs. For this Super Bowl, the hotel will be completely open so anyone can walk right into the spot for what will likely be some of the city's best people-watching. The hotel will be booked with NFL and Super Bowl staff, top media personalities and a number of football players in town for the big game. "This will be Ground Zero for everything," Marsella said.

The hotel will have some of the city's most highly-anticipated new restaurants, including the Biggio's sports bar and Hugo Ortega's newest concept, Xochi, which focuses on the food and drink of Oaxaca, Mexico. While Xochi won't open until January, Biggio's and other hotel restaurants - the coastal casual Walker Street Kitchen, Cueva bar and Texas T cafe -will open with the hotel on Dec. 26."

More details:

http://www.chron.com/life/article/Fi...s-10799612.php

Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
We will be staying at the Houston Marquis later this month. Does anyone know what the free Gold Elite breakfast type will be?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MarTN
We will be staying at the Houston Marquis later this month. Does anyone know what the free Gold Elite breakfast type will be?
Answered in the property thread, where you asked the same question. Enjoy your stay.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Recent Experiences/Recommendations for Houston Medical Center/NRG Park?

How are the hotels in this area these days? I will be traveling to the Houston Medical Center for the first time and really have no idea where to stay. I am going to be rather focused on the purpose of my visit so really don't care about the hotel being fancy on this trip or about sightseeing/things to do, but I would like the hotel to be safe, comfortable, clean, and bed-bug free. Looking at the list of nearby hotels, I made a reservation at the Residence Inn Houston Medical Center basically because I saw a great rate and saw it was close. Is this hotel in a safe area? Is there a reason to select another hotel over this one for the criteria I listed? Thanks for any help.

UPDATE: After reading reviews on TripAdvisor (which I take with a grain of salt because I never know whether to believe TA or not), Yelp, and other sites, I saw more concerns about the RI area being "sketchy" than I was hoping for, particularly since I will be traveling alone and in a compromised condition (traveling for medical reasons), so I started looking outside of the medical center area since I will have a rental car and so traveling to and fro should not be a problem. Any advice on other areas of Houston that might considered more safe? I was considering the Galleria area. Anywhere else to consider? Thanks again.

Last edited by sinfonia; Apr 4, 2017 at 4:33 pm Reason: Added an update
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sinfonia
How are the hotels in this area these days? I will be traveling to the Houston Medical Center for the first time and really have no idea where to say. I am going to be rather focused on the purpose of my visit so really don't care about the hotel being fancy on this trip or about sightseeing/things to do, but I would like the hotel to be safe, comfortable, clean, and bed-bug free. Looking at the list of nearby hotels, I made a reservation at the Residence Inn Houston Medical Center basically because I saw a great rate and saw it was close. Is this hotel in a safe area? Is there a reason to select another hotel over this one for the criteria I listed? Thanks for any help.

UPDATE: After reading reviews on TripAdvisor (which I take with a grain of salt because I never know whether to believe TA or not), Yelp, and other sites, I saw more concerns about the RI area being "sketchy" than I was hoping for, particularly since I will be traveling alone and in a compromised condition (traveling for medical reasons), so I started looking outside of the medical center area since I will have a rental car and so traveling to and fro should not be a problem. Any advice on other areas of Houston that might considered more safe? I was considering the Galleria area. Anywhere else to consider? Thanks again.
I don't like the Residence because you earn half the points to stay on a hard bed with a sub par breakfast. I've stayed at the Marriott at the Medical Center and it's nice: recently refreshed rooms and a good lounge breakfast if you're Gold/Plat. It's sandwiched between the University and Medical Center, so it's all corp buildings and safe.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by rgrobins
I don't like the Residence because you earn half the points to stay on a hard bed with a sub par breakfast. I've stayed at the Marriott at the Medical Center and it's nice: recently refreshed rooms and a good lounge breakfast if you're Gold/Plat. It's sandwiched between the University and Medical Center, so it's all corp buildings and safe.
This is helpful. Thank you so much for posting this info. I will look it up now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.