Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2003, 7:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Please remember Host Marriott and Marriott International are 2 seperate companies (HM is a REIT investing in real estate)</font>
Even though HM and Marriott Int'l are functionally two separate companies, at the very top you do have Bill Marriott intimately involved with both. My two cents worth is that since his name isn't Bill Hyatt that there always remains the possibility of the Hyatt becoming a Marriott at some point in the future. It's highly desirable for a hotel chain to have a location on Kannapali Beach and there appears to be no available property for new construction. After 2005, there will no longer be a traditional Marriott hotel on this beach.
Having said all that, I'm sure HM has a long term contract to operate the Hyatt as same. But it will be interesting to watch what happens with this property in the future.

Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
FYI...Bill Marriott has nothing to do with HM, you may be thinking of his brother Richard who is Non-Executive Chairman of the Board for HM. Bill even resigned his position on HM's board of directors earlier this year (Richard also resigned from MI's board)</font>
Thanks for the clarification. In our owners meeting a few weeks ago, it was mentioned that one of the Marriott brothers was COB of HM but the details weren't specified.

Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
We're there in Oct, Jan and Mar every year. There is never a beach in Oct. It shifts to the North near blackrock (the Sheraton). About the 2nd week of Nov it starts returning. Happens every year. This year there was some erosion along with the shift in the beach. But....all is well again!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TAVGlobal:
This year there was some erosion along with the shift in the beach. But....all is well again!</font>
I can further confirm this as a result of correspondence from Maui today. With the sandbagging of the beach area and the return of the northerly swells, the beach is well along to returning to normal.

Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:57 am

Maui Marriott Resort & Ocean Club mail offer

I just got an offer in the mail from the Maui Marriott Resort & Ocean Club. I'm trying to figure out its value since my wife and I already have airline tickets to Maui in June. The offer is for 5 nights (in "hotel style accommodation") at $374 per person. I assume taxes are included in the $748 that this will cost for the two of us since they are not mentioned. I would also get a $185 hertz certificate, a $50 resort certificate, and 5,000 Worldperks miles. I'm assuming that i can earn marriott points for the stay (let me know if i'm wrong.)

seems like a good deal -- marriott website cheapest price is $269 per night on the days we will be in maui; and priceline offers sheration maui and westin maui for about $140 per night before taxes. I am marriott silver and i assume that my chances of getting an upgraded room are slim to none.

I'd love to hear your opinions on whether you think it's a good deal. i've read the threads on the marriott resort, and it seems to be part timeshare (although there's no mention of a timeshare presentation in the offer). also read that there are many kids there, though this didn't bother us that much at the hilton waikaloa village last year. if anyone has any other comments on the resort, i'd appreciate those too. mahalo.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cincyflyer:
I'd love to hear your opinions on whether you think it's a good deal. i've read the threads on the marriott resort, and it seems to be part timeshare (although there's no mention of a timeshare presentation in the offer).</font>

This is indeed a great offer and one Mrs. Cholula and I accepted in 2000. It ended up costing us a WHOLE lot more as we eventually purchased three units there! But we couldn’t be happier with our purchases and eagerly return several times a year to enjoy them.
The offer does not require a timeshare presentation and you practically have to beg them to get a presentation. Marriott is very low-key in their sales presentations here as these units are among their best sellers.
The Maui Marriott is about 75% timeshare now and will be 100% so in 2005. There are plans to add an additional two towers of timeshare units over the next couple years. Not sure if this has received approval as of this time.
On the kids question, I don’t notice any more here than at any other Hawaii resort. If you’ve got a world class pool, the best beaches and weather in the world and tons of fun things to do, you’re going to attract more than a few kids. We don’t have kids of our own but those that are at the resort have never caused a problem for us.
If you decide to take Marriott up on the offer, enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:06 am

I love the Maui Marriott and am going back next month with my 3 kids. This is a good deal IF 1)lots of loud visible kids don't bother you, 2)you really want to stay on the Kaanapali strip 3)dollar savings are important to you. We got a courtesy room to change in last year and I was not impressed with the regular hotel room. My sense is that the pool area here is much more condensed than the HWV and there is no adults only pool, the deepest portion of the pool is 4-5 ft so kids will be everywhere. I think you would have a shot at a view room, more from the tour perspective as they are hoping you will love the place and want a timeshare. If you were to take the tour I think there would be other incentives offered, like further credit or points. I don't think you would be eligible for points for your stay (we did a similar thing last year on Oahu and I only remember Mar purchase points) but you could charge the package to Mar Visa and maybe get more that way.

I have kids, I love well behaved kids, but when I vacation with my husband alone I do not want to be surrounded by them. As much as I love the Maui Marriott, with no kids involved I would find somewhere else to stay unless the 200-300 $$$$ is a major factor. I'd spend a few days in Wailea maybe at the Marriott/Outrigger, and a few days at the Sheraton or Hyatt if I was compelled to be in Kaanapali.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Just a thought ----

I received the same offer 2 years ago. Being a single 40 year old male - I was not too excited about Maui.

They let me change for the same rate to the Kauai property. It is phenomenal.

I now own a unit!

Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My wife and I get these for the Kauai property from time to time. We enjoyed that property a lot on an award stay, so I would take them up on the offer if we ever decide to go back to Kauai.

I think the recent offer I saw was $599 for 5 nights with a small food/drink credit and some bonus miles. I don't think there was a rental car included and I don't think they tried to hit you with big money if there was more than 1 person in the room. Just a somewhat-better-than-usual rate for taking a timeshare tour.

I have taken timeshare tours at Marriotts before. In comparison to other companies, Marriott uses tasteful salespeople and sales practices. There are a lot of places where I'd NEVER take the timeshare tour, but I'd do it at Marriott.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:08 pm

The Denver Post had an ad with this offer on Sunday. The cost in it is $399 pp/do for the 5 nights, Hertz allowance and $50 credit. The number to call 800-877-1135 and mention reservation CI02*1-MEFJ. Rental car taxes not included. I know many people have gotten targeted mailings with these offers, and owners can refer folks for the package, hadn't seen it advertised openly before. It does say annual income of 100k and home ownership required.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: NWPlat, DLSilver, MarriottPlat,StarwoodPlat
Thumbs down Reward Stay at Maui Resort/Ocean Club

Just tried to book a 7 night award stay at the Marriott on Kaanapali Beach for February 2005. The hotel is already requiring stay anytime reward certificates!! Talked to several levels of Marriott customer service personnel hoping to catch a break, but no luck. The hotel web site didn't show black out dates.

Does anyone have advice? Does Marriott free up more rewards 60 or 90 days out?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:56 pm

Welcome to FT, nonstoptravelguy! The hotel portion of this complex is rapidly shrinking and in the process of being converted to Ocean Club timeshare suites. I own a few units at the Maui Ocean Club and when attending the owners meeting last October, the plan was to have converted all of the hotel units except a couple floors by 6/2005. Thus the availability for booking award stays at the hotel portion is rapidly disappearing. This is perhaps the major reason you are encountering some difficulty.
Marriott has a couple properties in the Wailea area...have you checked on these?
Mahalo.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:33 pm

These awards were available at the regular redemption rate several weeks ago.....I was checking for the Ko Olina and the Kauai Marriott and they were all available too. In fact, every Hawaii Marriott was available at 50 weeks out for the last week of Feb 2005 (our Winter break).

I think you just may be too late.
And, in my experience, they rarely open up again.

Old Apr 15, 2004, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Are you trying to book a regular room or vacation club room? I recommend getting the vacation club room. We stayed there last year on an award for the vacation club and are going back again on an award next month. The days I wanted were not available when I first checked it online, but after checking daily for about two weeks, a vacation club room opened up. Do your checking online rather than calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.