Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:32 am

Greetings,

In regards to construction, I just got an email from a sales person that I have gotten friendly with (she is trying to sell me a timeshare, lol)

Anyhow, ACCORDING TO HER, the present contruction should be done by October (the upper three floors of the Lanai wing) New contruction won't start until 2005 on the remainder of that wing.

Trust me, I am concerned about lower floor construction also. We have a reservation for a villa in April. I figure that noise from the upper floors wouldn't be too bad (if they overran construction) being that the pool area is around 50 feet or more, lower, than were the constrcution would be taking place. But if contruction were to take place on the lower floors I would be upset. I am sure at that point the sound from that would go right across the pool area.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:34 pm

Bishop1, looks like we'll be there the same month. I hope your salesperson is right about the construction ending. Either way,I went ahead and requested the Molokai wing. I do remember our first trip to the Marriott we stayed in a hotel room in the Lanai wing. The music from the luau the night we arrived was incredibly loud. Thankfully it only lasted one night, but I'd rather not deal with that again if I have a choice. Hopefully, we'll get what we request. I hope you have a great trip as well. Please pass along any other helpful tips you hear--FT is an amazing resource!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:01 pm

Greetings,

YOU hope the salesperson is right?? SO DO I!!! LOL..........Why would a salesperson lie......Anyhow, if she is right, we should be all set.
Like you, I choose the Molokai Wing. Basically, JUST IN CASE construction is not finished by then. Also, the luau and the fact that at sunset, in my opinion, it gets really hot on that side. You have to close the shades so your room doesn't get too hot. But the view for sunsets on that wing are awesome.
Anyhow, if you hear anything, please post it. Right now, I am waiting patiently for an ocean front 2 Bedroom to open up.

Good luck
Old Jul 31, 2003, 3:16 pm

We couldn't find a 2BR OF(only OV) on the Marriott website, so we rented from owners through the VRBO website. Maybe that will work for you, too. Good luck.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ec967:
We couldn't find a 2BR OF(only OV) on the Marriott website, so we rented from owners through the VRBO website. Maybe that will work for you, too. Good luck.</font>
Hi again ec967. I doubt that we will ever put our 2 BR unit up for rent but you never know. But I might well rent one of the 1 BR units. Using Marriott as the rental agent is, IMO, prohibitive....they take a 50% commission off the top. Can you enlighten me as to what the VRBO website is?? I'm not aware of it. Thanks....

Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:52 am

Hi Cholula,
VRBO is Vacation Rental By Owner (www.VRBO.com). Owners nationwide post their units for rent and families like us browse until we find what we're looking for . Then we have a direct phone/e-mail link to the owner and deal directly with them. Maybe you only pay a fee to register, I don't know. Speaking as a renter, the benefits of going through Marriott are a lenient down payment and cancellation policy, daily housekeeping and Marriott points. The benefit of VRBO is price negotiation, and getting a unit that Marriott may not offer.
Hope this helps!
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:45 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, United PE, Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TAVGlobal:
[B]We're in Maui as we speak! Been here anout 20 times. The Molokai wing has already been converted to timeshare, the Lanai has not. Construction on the Lanai tower starts in May. B]</font>
TAVGlobal,

My wife and I and our 10 month old are going to Maui end of September and I remember from our stay a few years ago there are ocean side rooms close to the diving shop however I can't remember if that is the Lanai Tower or the Molokai Tower. Do you know if it is the Lanai or Molokai tower closest to the diving shop?

Also we are hoping to get into one of the ocean side rooms on the ground floor so that we can still be outside and close to the beach while the baby is sleeping. I've read the feedback from other people sying that the construction noise is not that bad but do people think the noise is low enough that a baby can easly sleep in a room on the ground floor?

Any help from you Maui Marriott visitors would be greatly appreciated.

BA Fan
Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:14 pm

It is the Molokai wing that is closer to the Dive shop--also the wing where the constuction is finished. However, the ground floor ocean front units in that wing front a not so great section of the beach, IMHO. Also, your view is blocked by trees, etc. I would try to get higher up for the great views!
Old Aug 9, 2003, 2:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
However, the ground floor ocean front units in that wing front a not so great section of the beach, IMHO. Also, your view is blocked by trees, etc. I would try to get higher up for the great views!</font>
Writing this from the Molokai wing at the Maui Marriott. I agree that you need a high floor here. We're in our OF unit and on the 8th floor and the view is to die for. We were here a few weeks ago and had an OF unit on the 5th floor and the palm trees somewhat blocked the ocean view.
The Maui Ocean Club, IMHO, no matter where you are, is Heaven on Earth. Having said that, do try for a higher floor room...floors 6-9....if possible.
Mahalo...

Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
It is the Molokai wing that is closer to the Dive shop--also the wing where the constuction is finished. However, the ground floor ocean front units in that wing front a not so great section of the beach, IMHO. Also, your view is blocked by trees, etc. I would try to get higher up for the great views!</font>
Thanks so much for your feedback. Much appreciated!! Can't wait to go there end of september.

BA Fan
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:26 pm

It is the Molokai wing that is closer to the Dive shop--also the wing where the constuction is finished. However, the ground floor ocean front units in that wing front a not so great section of the beach, IMHO. Also, your view is blocked by trees, etc. I would try to get higher up for the great views!</font>
Apologies for the double posting.

BA Fan

[This message has been edited by BA Fan (edited 08-13-2003).]
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:22 am

Maui Ocean Club (aka Maui Marriott): NO BEACH

Aloha,

I have reservations for the Maui Ocean Club in April. I have posted here before and have read posts about the Marriott property and felt very comfortable renting a 2Bd/3Bth unit. Thanks one and all for all of your help. Has anyone been there as of late? If so, read the following and please reply.

Now for the topic of at hand. I was on a different website the other day and someone posted that the beach in front of the Marriott was gone! (along with the beach in front on the Kaanapali Ali'i and some of the Hyatt) But the beach was wider up by the Sheraton. According to this person, the water was up to the walkway and the both the Marriott and the Ali'i were losing palm trees. And that the sandbags were five feet high and not really effective. But he also stated that this is a seasonal thing and that they expect the beach to return during the winter months.

I called the Marriott direct. The woman I spoke with said the last time that she looked (which was 2-3 weeks ago), the water was about 5 feet from the walkway. And they were hoping that it returns. Any thoughts or observations?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:19 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The beach in front of the Sheraton is awesome.

The "beach" in front of the Hyatt, Westin and Marriott is basically (in my humble opinion) eroded and very crowded.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:59 am

Bishop1,

I just came back from a 2 week stay at the Maui Marriott and indeed the beach is no more .... while we were there they were adding more sandbags. I heard too that it is a seasonal thing but right now some of the sprinkler pipes are showing. Half way between the Marriott and Whalers village you can walk on the beach again but it's not what it used to be.
Nonetheless we enjoyed our stay out there and the weather was just great.

Aloha, BA Fan
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Fan:
I heard too that it is a seasonal thing</font>
I was at the Maui Ocean Club three times this year and am returning again tomorrow. The beach was battered this year by unusually high wind and waves due to passing hurricanes and other misc. weather phenomena .
I was told that the beach shifts up toward the Sheraton and then back towards the Hyatt and Marriott seasonally. According to the locals, the shift this year was more pronounced than usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.