Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Maui Ocean Club Owner's Update

I attended the annual owner's meeting today and I thought I'd provide an update of the key discussion points.
The addition of two new 12 story towers is still on track. Code-named "The Sequel", these towers are planned for construction starting in early 2006. There will be a total of 142 two and three bedroom units in these additions. Sales will start in early 2007 and first occupancy is slated for early 2008. Owners in the Maui Ocean Club will not be able to trade into these units but will be allowed to "upgrade" their current properties for an undetermined cost. Two additional pools are planned as well as several other amenities. These units will reportedly have in-unit washers/dryers, Sub-Zero appliances, etc. Bill Countryman, the GM at the Maui Ocean Club stated that there are still several months of bureaucracy involved before this is a done deal. He showed us architectural drawings and described in detail where the various buildings would be placed, how ocean sight lines would be spared, etc.
The construction on the Lanai wing is complete and the top three floors are open for occupancy starting next week. Each floor has all two bedroom units with only one one bedroom unit per floor. It seems one bedroom units at this location are now a thing of the past.
The construction on the lower floors of the Lanai tower scheduled for 2004 has been delayed until 2005. Thus the Marriott hotel will exist through early 2005. When construction starts in 2005, the hotel will disappear and this property will be 100% MVCI.
The disappearance of the beach was also addressed. The unusual weather conditions this year caused most of the beach to head north. It's the worst the Marriott folks have seen in the 20+ years they have been here. They have sandbagged the beach to the max that Maui County will allow and are now hoping for the winter weather to return the beach to "normal".
The acquisition of the Hyatt by Host Marriott was addressed and it was stated that that Host Marriott would continue to operate the Hyatt as a Hyatt.
Maintenance fees for 2004 will increase "only" 3%. This is due to a 29% increase in insurance costs but was negated somewhat by a reduction in reserve accruals.
The meeting lasted almost two hours and this is just a top line report. Very interesting question and answer session during the almost two hour meeting. Marriott personnel from all over the world were in attendance.
If I can provide anyone any additional information, I'll be happy to do so.

Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:53 am

Aloha,

A few quick questions. Where you on Maui for the meeting? If so, how bad is the beach? From what I have read and seen on the internet, it is pretty bad.

You stated that Host Marriott purchased the Hyatt property next door. But that they will still run it as a Hyatt. Question for you, being the case that the Marriott now owns that property, will we, as Marriott Rewards members, be able to get our "M11" discount there?

Where is the heck are they going to build these new towers? Property seems pretty tight over there. Is that why they bought the Hyatt?

Any other info you can give me would be wonderful. My family and I have rented a 2BDRM/3 BTh unit for April. I am hoping that with everything going on at the Marriott our vacation will still be a nice one.

Mahalo
Old Oct 18, 2003, 7:40 am

Host Marriott is unaffiliated with Marriott International. You will not get a discount there.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
Thank you very much for the update. Any discussion about keeping the pool open past 8 or 9pm? Also, any on or off the record projections as to what the new units would sell for?
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bishop1:
Aloha,

A few quick questions. Where you on Maui for the meeting? If so, how bad is the beach? From what I have read and seen on the internet, it is pretty bad.

You stated that Host Marriott purchased the Hyatt property next door. But that they will still run it as a Hyatt. Question for you, being the case that the Marriott now owns that property, will we, as Marriott Rewards members, be able to get our "M11" discount there?

Where is the heck are they going to build these new towers? Property seems pretty tight over there. Is that why they bought the Hyatt?

Any other info you can give me would be wonderful. My family and I have rented a 2BDRM/3 BTh unit for April. I am hoping that with everything going on at the Marriott our vacation will still be a nice one.

Mahalo
</font>
I'm staying at the Renaissance in Wailea this week. Already used my MVCI weeks earlier this year. The beach is fine down here but is a little bleak in Kannapali. It "disappeared" in just a matter of weeks according to the Marriott folks so could reappear just as quick.
As another poster already stated, this purchased by Host Marriott will probably not change anything immediately at the Hyatt. Host already owns and operates several other Hyatt's as well as a variety of other hotels. But if you ask me to read between the lines...and this was NOT stated yesterday....it's my opinion that they may have bought the Hyatt as an option to turn it into a Marriott some time in the future.
The buildings will be on the Hyatt side where the parking garage currently is and on the Kannapali Ali side. Both will be tiered high rise buildings...their footprints don't really take as much space as you'd imagine. The buildings are narrow with only 5-7 units per floor.
I'm sure you will have a SUPERB vacation next year!! We were in our units three times this year including a month ago and had an excellent time!

Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnB50:
Thank you very much for the update. Any discussion about keeping the pool open past 8 or 9pm? Also, any on or off the record projections as to what the new units would sell for?</font>
There was a lot of discussion about the pool but nothing came up on the hours. I've got to jump on a plane back to the mainland in a few minutes but I'll post later tonight on the whole pool situation...current and planned.

Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:26 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Thank you for the update and information.
I anm a multi week owner there and find the information very helpful.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:49 pm

For those of you interested in the pool scenario at the Maui Ocean Club, if and when the twin tower "Sequel" project is given a go ahead, two additional new pools will be part of the project. One pool will be designated an "Adults Only" pool. While this can't be actually enforced, there will be nothing in or near the pool to attract kids. One or both pools will also have a pool bar.
There was considrable discussion over the existing lagoon pool. Many folks raised the issue of guests dropping a towel on several choice deck lounges at 7 AM to claim them and then disappearing for hours. Marriott has a policy that the lounges can't be reserved for more than 45 minutes without anyone present....but they also admit it's hard to enforce.
Management also said they are having a hard time keeping drop-ins from the beach and walkway from using the pool. The wrist band thing works to a degree but, believe it or not, several owners are strongly opposed to wearing any ID device. Doesn't particularly bother me and if it helps keep out the uninvited guests, so much the better.
A point was also raised regarding the deck umbrellas. Even though the new ones are re-inforced and sunk into concrete, they close all of them when the windspeed hits 15 mph. They are erring on the side of caution even though these umbrellas can withstand a full gale. They will reconsider their policy in the future and possibly leave them up at higher wind speeds.
To answer JohnB50's question on pricing of these new units, the sales VP for Marriott's Hawaii region was at the meeting and he couldn't even give an estimate at this time. First sales won't occur until early 2007. Given the increase in values of the units at the Maui Ocean Club, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3 bedroom units were pushing $100,000 come 2007. But who knows.....
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:42 am

Cholula,

Thanks for you input. As I have stated before, we stayed at the Marriott when it was a hotel. Haven't stayed there since they started to convert to timeshares. But we did walk through back in 2001 to see the pool and hotel. Now time for some "stupid" questions...LOL

Given that most of the hotel is timeshare, does it still have that "hotel" atmosphere?(i.e. bellmen, valet parking, room service, turndown service, etc...) How are the restaurants and bars on property? How many shops do they have in the lobby now? Last time I was there, they were dwindling down. Are the units in good shape? Because I have seen some posts about the "hotel" rooms being in need of "work"

I decided on the Marriott because we were able to rent a 2 BDRM/3 BTH Ocean view unit for $429/night (divided by 2, that is approx. $215/night per couple. We on Kaanapali beach can you stay for that with a view!) LOL

One last questions, I know in the past one could get a room to use if you needed late check out. When I called about it, they said it would be $100 to get a hotel room, based on availibilty. My question for you, how available are these rooms. I noticed checkout is early, and our flight doesn't leave until 6:25p.m.

Thanks once again
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bishop1:
Cholula,

One last questions, I know in the past one could get a room to use if you needed late check out. When I called about it, they said it would be $100 to get a hotel room, based on availibilty. My question for you, how available are these rooms. I noticed checkout is early, and our flight doesn't leave until 6:25p.m.

Thanks once again
</font>
You can rent a room or do what we do. Check with Guest Services a few days before check out and you can shedule about an hour (late afternoon) to use one of their rooms to shower and change for free. We put all of our luggage, etc. in the car at the 10:00 am check out, keeping a few things to change to later on. Spend the day at the pool, walking the beach or just enjoy the day.

Old Oct 25, 2003, 4:52 am

Given that most of the hotel is timeshare, does it still have that "hotel" atmosphere?(i.e. bellmen, valet parking, room service, turndown service, etc...) How are the restaurants and bars on property? How many shops do they have in the lobby now? Last time I was there, they were dwindling down. Are the units in good shape? Because I have seen some posts about the "hotel" rooms being in need of "work"</font>
Bishop1.....bobbornstein answered your other question so to address the ones above:

MMO still has the "hotel atmosphere" as they're still operating several floors of rooms and will do so at least through 2004. Plenty of bellmen, good valet parking, turndown service, USA Today delivery to rooms, etc.
The limited restaurants on premise are still operating and seem fairly busy. The menus have been tweaked somewhat but, for the most part, things are unchanged.
All available shop space in the lobby is rented out and functioning.
The rooms in the hotel part are, IMO, just a tad bit worn but I doubt they will do any major renovation as they are due to be converted in 2005. We rent one occasionally on a day basis when we have a late check out. As was stated in the earlier post, if you want the $100 day room...from 10 AM until 6 PM....make sure you get your order in as early in the week as possible.
Mahalo...

Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:44 am

Mahalo to all! (Have to get into the spirit)

Thanks for answering all of my questions. Like I stated earlier, we are a party of five. If it was just my wife and I everything would be so easy. But trying to plan a vacation for three others, trying to get nice accommodations, living within thier budget, having nice beach and pool areas, etc...is proving a challenge to say the least.

I am sure I will have more questions as the time gets closer. Thanks once again

Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.