Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:17 am

Vacation Owner

I am heading to Maui next week and staying at Westin Kanapali Ocean Resort and Villas. I was wondering if anyone knows how to attend any timeshare presentation at this Marriott property just to get some Marriott points?

Any help
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:02 pm

Just walk into the lobby and tell them you would like to attend a presentation. I am sure they will be happy to oblige you. The current promotion may or may not be points. We were just at the Desert Springs Villas in Palm Desert and their promotino was a $100 certificate good for food, golf, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Hi, if anyone can refer me for hawaii promo, that would be great. Thinking of going to Hawaii soon and would like to look into Marriott timeshare. thx

[email protected]
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Aeroplan Elite
Marriott Maui Ocean Club on points - How likely?

Hi,

I am trying to get the Marriott Maui Ocean Club with the points for the week of November 2nd, 2007. I called the Marriott Rewards line as well as checked the website and nothing is available. Now, I have reserved a room just in case at $386 per night for the 1 bedroom villa but would much prefer getting it with the points. How likely will that be possible? Do you think that, closer to the date, it will open up?

Also, I would not mind getting a regular room, as opposed to a villa, if it meant that I could book it with points. Is it all villas or is there still some regular rooms?

Anyone?

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
The whole place has been converted to timeshare villas, as far as I know. Your chances of getting in on points at 11 months out is slim; getting in at 4 months out is nearly impossible. They simply don't open up inventory. It's similar at the other Marriott timeshare locations, such as Aruba.

Your other option is the Marriott Wailea. It's not in Kaanapali but it's probably the best you'll be able to do on points.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Recreation is spot on. The Ocean Club is an MVCI property and Marriott doesn't "own" the rooms or weeks there, the timeshare owners do. So Marriott is very limited in being able to offer rooms at those properties for use on points. There are some MVCI properties that tend to have more availability than others for points, but those tend to be at places like Orlando or Hilton Head where there are a more timeshares than demand (and the cost of those timeshares are less.) Given that Ocean Club is an extremely in demand property, there will very rarely (if any) be any points availability.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Unless you only want to go to Maui rather than stay at a MVCI in Hawaii on points, I was successful in getting the Kauai MVCI last year on points. I kept checking for Maui & Kauai online as much as possible, and one day Kauai opened up. I believe it was maybe 3-4 months before our scheduled flight to HNL. I waited to book the inter-island until I knew where we would be going.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:20 am

Maui Ocean Club

I had this same issue last year. I wanted to use points but no availability. So what I did was reserve a room, converted some of my marriott points to marriott dollars (they had a special discounted rate promotion at the time) so I think for 125,000 points, got $1000 marriott dollars and paid for the room with marriott dollars. So in the end still used points and no money out of my pocket.

By the way, doing it this way, you still earn Marriott Reward points on your stay.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Ontravel has some good advice though that is not the best value for your points but it works if that is the only place you want to stay and you do not want to pay.

I am an owner of a two bedroom villa and I will never trade it for points. I have always used it except for this year when we went to Marriott's Ko Olina for the Pro Bowl. Even then I rented Maui for more than I paid to rent from a Ko Olina owner. I think you will really need some good luck. Maybe with the new construction bringing more rooms and since they are not all sold yet maybe Marriott will throw some out there for point redemption but I would be surprised if they did.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, LT Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I just got back from the Wailea Marriott and it was very nice. I liked the area better than Kaanapali area. The only draw back is that there is no beach front. I was checking for MVCI in Maui and Aruba for over a year everyday and nothing was available and I don't think they ever will be. I did see the MVCI in Kuai open, but I didn't bite.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Aeroplan Elite
Ontravel, your suggestion of converting points into Marriott dollars sounds appealing. Do you know if Maui Ocean Club will accept those? And how do I go about exchanging points into dollars?

We have reserved the Marriott Wailea on points as our second choice, worse come to worse, we can always stay there. I heard a lot of good things about the hotel, just that we think that with 2 small kids (aged 3 and 1) the Ocean Club seems to be a better fit. Also the fact that we can walk to Whalers Village and some snorkeling spots also sounds good.

Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:28 pm
DH

Originally Posted by Bellezza28
Ontravel, your suggestion of converting points into Marriott dollars sounds appealing. Do you know if Maui Ocean Club will accept those? And how do I go about exchanging points into dollars?

We have reserved the Marriott Wailea on points as our second choice, worse come to worse, we can always stay there. I heard a lot of good things about the hotel, just that we think that with 2 small kids (aged 3 and 1) the Ocean Club seems to be a better fit. Also the fact that we can walk to Whalers Village and some snorkeling spots also sounds good.

Thanks.
I believe Ontravel was referring to converting 135,000 pts for $1,000 Marriott Gift Cheque. BTW it's available to elite members only but you can become silver by getting MR Visa card.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/use...d=elite.silver
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:34 pm

Bellezza28, yes the Ocean Club will accept these Marriott Checks as will any marriott property world wide. They are sent in $50 amounts so you would get 20 checks per $1,000 reward. If you are an elite member, it takes 135,00 points per $1,000. Non-elite is 180,00 points. I redemed two awards for $2,000, upon my arrival, deposited them in my room account so I didn't have to take the time when checking out to sign each and every check.

To get these you can do it online in the Marriott Rewards section and I think it is under the gifts redemption.

Your kids will love the pool area as it has slides, pirate ship and is multi level. The rooms in the Ocean Club are two hotel rooms combined to make a 2 room/1 bedroom unit. Has two bathrooms, microwave, refidge, dishwasher. You also may want to look into staying in the new Lahina tower that just opened in June.

You'll be much happier at the Ocean Club than the Marriott Wialea especially if you have young kids. The Marriott Wialea recently finished an upgrade. The rooms are outstanding, the main pool is no bigger than a thumbnail, but I think they where planning on expanding the pool.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:39 pm
DH

Originally Posted by ontravel
Bellezza28, yes the Ocean Club will accept these Marriott Checks as will any marriott property world wide. They are sent in $50 amounts so you would get 20 checks per $1,000 reward. If you are an elite member, it takes 135,00 points per $1,000.
270K pts for $2,000? Wow, I wish I had that many points...
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:00 am
Yub

Something else to consider... MVCI has great deals on preview packages. One of the offers we had received was for the Marriott Maui Ocean Beach Club. At the time, the offer included 5 nights, rental car, and a $50 certificate, all for $799. I don't believe that you are required to go through the sales presentation, but they will usually give you a decent amount of points for attending.

As a current owner, I believe that I can set up a referral with MVCI. PM me if you are interested, and I'll figure out what I need to do for the referral.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.