Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by johndoes
I believe either you should receive Platinum or be in-eligible for Challenge if your Gold status is expiring before 90 days. Also, I'm not sure why start challenge in Jan 18. Start right away and if you're doing mattress run - then don't need to wait till Gold expire.
Thank you johndoes, I wont be able to start right now as I am on vacation until January. Just found out about this platinum challenge a few days ago.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:45 pm

Any idea if you qualified Platinum via 9 stays challenge, do we get add-ons like normally regular platinum get suite upgrade etc for reaching platinum.

Last edited by johndoes; Dec 18, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Any idea if you qualified Platinum via 9 night challenge, do we get add-ons like normally regular platinum get suite upgrade etc for reaching platinum.
You mean SPG best available room upgrade (up to suites)? Marriott doesn't have guaranteed benefit of this sort, perhaps.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Any idea if you qualified Platinum via 9 night challenge, do we get add-ons like normally regular platinum get suite upgrade etc for reaching platinum.
There is no nine night challenge. It's nine stays. And yes, you get full Plat benefits after you meet the challenge.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
By limiting each qualifying stay to 1-nighters, one can qualify for the challenge with 9 nights.

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no nine night challenge. It's nine stays.

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 21, 2017 at 8:06 pm Reason: unnecessary comment removed
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:55 am

Any idea if you qualified Platinum via 9 stays challenge, do we get add-ons like normally regular platinum get suite upgrade certificate etc for reaching platinum.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Any idea if you qualified Platinum via 9 stays challenge, do we get add-ons like normally regular platinum get suite upgrade certificate etc for reaching platinum.
Platinum does not get you suite upgrade certificates. You get upgrades based on availability.
SPG Platinum 50 gets suite night awards, not Marriott.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am currently Platinum (due to a soft landing from Premier Platinum) but did not re-qualify in 2017 but will have Gold next year due to RewardsPlus. What are my options to stay (or quickly recover) Platinum after 2/28/18?
Are there any status matches available? I have 98 nights with Fairmont this past year I can show them, in addition to 32 nights at Marriott, and 41 nights at Hilton. Essentially I am coming back to Marriott after going to Fairmont for a couple years so I am hoping they are interested in that.
Or do I just need to do the challenge? If so, since I am already Platinum, can I start that at the top of the year so that I am working towards that in Jan/Feb to try to get to Platinum again in March?
I will be calling in to ask this but want to get other experiences in case the CSR is not aware of all my options or possible exceptions made in the past.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Srisarin
By limiting each qualifying stay to 1-nighters, one can qualify for the challenge with 9 nights.

No, I wanted to make sure OP and others were clear that you need 9 stays to meet the challenge. It is possible to accrue 9 nights in less than 9 stays, but that won't satisfy the challenge terms.

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 21, 2017 at 8:07 pm Reason: edited quote only
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:15 pm

Looking at the Marriott 9 stay platinum challenge and just want to be 100% sure I have this right. If I sign up today, I will have until 3/31 to complete. As long as I complete after 2/28, I will be platinum for the rest of 2018 and all of 2019 correct?

I'm willing to adjust my timeline to after the New Year to make sure I get the extra year out of the status but some seem to feel the challenge could go away.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by challenger818
Looking at the Marriott 9 stay platinum challenge and just want to be 100% sure I have this right. If I sign up today, I will have until 3/31 to complete. As long as I complete after 2/28, I will be platinum for the rest of 2018 and all of 2019 correct?

I'm willing to adjust my timeline to after the New Year to make sure I get the extra year out of the status but some seem to feel the challenge could go away.
Piggy backing off what he said......has anyone talked to a marriott rep......if we do the challenge in 2018 are we guaranteed that status with the new combined program with starwood in 2019?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Piggy backing off what he said......has anyone talked to a marriott rep......if we do the challenge in 2018 are we guaranteed that status with the new combined program with starwood in 2019?
It is unclear what the program will look like after the programs have merged sometime in 2019. How they will translate MR and SPG status to MPG status probably won't be confirmed until shortly before the merger and that may be pushed out yet again (remember it was 2018 at one point). Your best bet is to go for top tier now and hope you are at least near the top, if not top, after.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by challenger818
No, it's not correct. If you want status for the whole of 2019 (until Feb 2020), you have to sign up in 2018. At least that's what I have been told by Marriott support over phone.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
So I have a question,

My coworker and myself are Hilton Diamond members. He has been Diamond for 11+ years and I am on year 3. We spend usually 75-90 nights a year in Hilton hotels. After much research (and the guaranteed 4pm checkout) we want to jump ship and got 100% to Marriott.

My understanding is that there is no way to get Marriott to do a status match? You only get to do one of the challenges. However, if they give us the Gold challenge 1) Do you get to pick the start date. And 2) Do you get Gold benefits during the challenge?

Thanks! We really want to move to Marriott. We just don’t want to wait a year to make Platinum.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
By 2019 there should no longer be a Starwood to have status in

Originally Posted by Marriott15
.....if we do the challenge in 2018 are we guaranteed that status with the new combined program with starwood in 2019?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.