Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Fyd
It's high season, prices are high. I just got back and Phuket is packed, traffic has gotten a lot worse with road construction along main streets. Given that you arrive after sunset and leave in the morning, I'd stay close to the airport at whatever a short stay is worth to you, there are lots of independent hotels...
Thanks for more info. I am surprised that it is still high season during that period...anyway, I have decided to not stay in Phuket and just get the next flight to BKK.

Thanks all again for the info.

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:55 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by BobBHX
^ +1. I am going to Phuket in early May for a few days. I haven't been there for a few years and previously stayed at what was the Sheraton Laguna. I have researched the various Marriott hotels and they all seem to be spread out over a large area horizontally or vertically. I have mobility issues and want somewhere relatively flat where the rooms are close to the main hotel amenities and pool. Any recommendations?
Hi Bob.
This is from memory mainly.
What the other poster suggested re the canals / pool and moving around like that isn't actually a bad idea. You can even get to the swim up bar at the Khao Lak resort!! Im at this property in a couple of weeks so will look at it from your perspective, I know there are plenty of steps and uneven paths. Also the wooden decking is painfully hot in the sun without flip flops - my burnt feet were testimony to that!! I also have some contacts there now that I can put you in touch with if you decide on this place.

The Ren is a more compact resort but don't remember too much about it. The JW Phuket is fairly flat, and there are elevators also there in the main building I believe. Hopefully others will chip in with their comments too.

Ive made a note to message you while there or when we get back.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Reading like the last 20 pages here and seems like the consensus seems to be that Ren is a good place for a first-timer. I've never had the luxury of "beach stays" until now, how does one manage their time at resorts like these? Thinking about staying 3-4 days in late May?

Last edited by Explorer789; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I have the same questions as the posters above...
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:42 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by BobBHX
^ +1. I am going to Phuket in early May for a few days. I haven't been there for a few years and previously stayed at what was the Sheraton Laguna. I have researched the various Marriott hotels and they all seem to be spread out over a large area horizontally or vertically. I have mobility issues and want somewhere relatively flat where the rooms are close to the main hotel amenities and pool. Any recommendations?
So was our 4th stay at the JW Marriott Khao Lak, we checked out this morning. We were upgraded on arrival to a Duplex suite with lots of amenities / gifts / discount vouchers etc. Wonderful staff and the Manager came over for a chat.
I'll keep it brief and just reflect on the noticeable changes.
Out of the hotel to the right used to be some informal bar / restaurants. These have now all been removed. There remain a couple to the left, but to be honest, we ate at one for lunch just to see what it was like, and thought their prices were expensive. We also had to put up with their dogs playing and peeing around diners!! Won't be doing that again!
The hotel now run a shuttle several times a day for THB$100 per way per person to Bin Bang Nang (it's something like that, it's the nearest unremarkable town & Khao Lak town. We found a great little restaurant in KL, fresh food, several beers for less than THB$1000 for 2. (Just shows how over priced the beach shacks have become).
Happy Hour for Golds and Plats has apparently been done away with. (I have very fond memories of getting merry on caipirinhas at the Infinity bar and then trying to swim back to my room to get changed for dinner...
A new bar on the beach with some semi permanent seating for sunset watching. The informal beach book library has gone.
Ta Kraai (the JW on site Thai restaurant) was OK but not what it used to be. Also beware of the "special offer" 50CL wine bottles there - wine is normally in 75 CL bottles!

And so to reply to BobBHX
The property occupies a large expanse of ground. I'm not sure what your mobility issues comprise of but there are ramps everywhere. You could easily request a ground floor room that was near the breakfast area, restaurants and beach - most of the amenities are the beach end anyway. There are both ramps and steps in tandem everywhere, so of the ramps might be a little steep?
The beach area is flat and there are plenty of paths. You can easily get a sunbed on the grass or pool area - I guess the beach sand though might pose a problem for you.
Easy to get around, it's just a big place.
As with most places where our continental cousins holiday, be prepared to start bagging prime sunbed spots from 0800 onwards - the towel stall opens at this time.
If you want to know more, pm me.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:44 am

So my wife having left her bikini at Khao Lak (my fault of course as chief room checker) we switched into the JW Marriot Phuket for our last night having been on Koh Samui.

KL kindly sent her bikini over, so the least I could do was stay there!. 40,000 points for 1 night and we were upgraded to a pool suite and within 10 minutes of getting to the room whisked off to the Managers cocktail party!

Superb customer service, and nothing is too much trouble for these guys. Had a chat with some of the other guests and also the hotel management.

I was reminded of just how beautiful (and deserted) the beach is, as had the most stunning sunset. We ate in Ginja, which isn't cheap, but chose the THB500 amenity and then another 20% off the bill as Plat.

I hadn't realised from our previous visits that there is an adults only pool, which happened to be next to our villa - I think we will actually stay a few nights here next time, even the basic garden rooms look great.

Wandered down to the local shopping centre (I think its called Turtle something) and there really isn't much there other than a couple of bars, a Thai Express and a coffee club shop - the coffee shop is worth a visit, one of the best cappuccino's in a long while.

They also gave us a couple of small turtles as a gift, they request a donation of 40THB per night to help with this worthwhile cause.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the recent updates! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
50% the same question - wondering if go for the Nai Yang or Merlin Beach.
Nai Yang looks much nicer though reviews of the Merlin Beach seem quite fine too.. just the building(s) looks a bit more dense to me from the photos @Merlin Beach (less privacy in some way).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:09 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Chris26WI
50% the same question - wondering if go for the Nai Yang or Merlin Beach.
Nai Yang looks much nicer though reviews of the Merlin Beach seem quite fine too.. just the building(s) looks a bit more dense to me from the photos @Merlin Beach (less privacy in some way).
I will be in Phuket in a few weeks I will let you know...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
I will be in Phuket in a few weeks I will let you know...
great thx
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:40 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Chris26WI
great thx
I'm here now.. ask me anything..
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
I'm here now.. ask me anything..
@Merlin or @Nai Yang?

well, any upgrades for elites; rooms, service etc...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:45 pm
t1c

I will know that in a few days. I paid for the 2 bedroom villa on the beach with the plunge pool for 3 days.

This is the nicest beach front villa they have on location. ie no where to upgrade from here.

Im using a 7 day cert. for the remaining days and paying for an extra two days after that for a total of 12.

I will keep you posted.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
Any word from t1c

Just waiting to hear t1c impressions of the Nai Yang. I'm told the Beachfront 2 bedroom with pool the bedrooms are not accessible to each other. Meaning if you have children you have to go outside of the room through a pathway to access the other room. Is this correct? Any chance you can update us on your stay or perhaps even pictures?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:39 am
t1c

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TravelPenguin
Just waiting to hear t1c impressions of the Nai Yang. I'm told the Beachfront 2 bedroom with pool the bedrooms are not accessible to each other. Meaning if you have children you have to go outside of the room through a pathway to access the other room. Is this correct? Any chance you can update us on your stay or perhaps even pictures?
Yes this is true. However its not as bad as it might seem. The two bedrooms are separated only by water and a walkway maybe 6 or 7 feet total. However both bedrooms are in the same compound.

Let me see if I can attach a pic...
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.