Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:40 pm

2 days prior to arrival I was confirmed SNA upgraded to the St. Regis ocean view suite, which is the highest category suite below the governor. Upon arrival, however, I learned that I was downgraded to a Astor garden view suite. Based on previous comments in this forum where this happened to others, I had printouts and screenshots showing my confirmed upgrade to the St. Regis suite. They were unable to honor the confirmed St. Regis suite because customers--after my confirmation--booked the suite online. Happy to be here, happy for an upgrade of any sort, but disappointed to know that a confirmation means jack squat.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by TDRAL
2 days prior to arrival I was confirmed SNA upgraded to the St. Regis ocean view suite, which is the highest category suite below the governor. Upon arrival, however, I learned that I was downgraded to a Astor garden view suite. Based on previous comments in this forum where this happened to others, I had printouts and screenshots showing my confirmed upgrade to the St. Regis suite. They were unable to honor the confirmed St. Regis suite because customers--after my confirmation--booked the suite online. Happy to be here, happy for an upgrade of any sort, but disappointed to know that a confirmation means jack squat.
From what I can tell by the photos (because i did not see an astor suite when I was there) the astor suite is essentially the same as the st regis suite just minus 1 bathroom (and obviously the view although they both overlook the ocean). The description on the site shows the astor suite as 1295 square feet but the st regis suite at 1255 which is also strange. The luxury suite also appears to be the same as a st regis suite, just a different view.

Anyways, when you made your selections for which rooms you wanted for your SNAs did you only select St Regis suite or luxury and Astor suite as well?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TDRAL
I'm here right now through Monday with my wife and 4 year old girl and 2 year old boy. I think I may have back story on your SNA story. I'll look out for you on tonight / during the trip or else can pm you after the stay.

It's pretty awesome here.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:55 pm

We had a disappointing stay at this property. I can’t put it any other way but the service is bad. The staff (from line staff to management) does not follow through. I would have no desire to return to this property.

It started poorly before arrival. I made my booking with points months ago and reached out to the hotel at that time to confirm a paid upgrade. We agreed to a paid upgrade. The day prior to check in I logged in to the app and it showed a base level room. To play it safe I reached out to the hotel via telephone. It was a Sunday so in house reservations was closed, but I talked to one of the butlers who said they’d take care of it. Next day, on my flight in, I check the app again and still showing base level room. I messaged the butlers via the app and they said they’d look into and get back to me. No follow up. Upon arrival at the hotel around 10 pm (coming from California) check in clerk informed we have a lovely garden room … per check in agent nothing she could do, no manager available, they’d follow up the next day. By early afternoon the next day I still had not heard from anyone so reached out to hotel management again. After a lot of back and forth they couldn’t accommodate the room we had agreed to and were stuck with a garden room the entire five nights.

The room itself was okay. For a base level, standard hotel room it was spacious. I found the bed comfortable. There were some negatives. The window had a massive crack. The entry door didn’t seal tight allowing critters in (had a gecko let himself into the room along with other bugs). The air conditioning didn’t cool well (tropical climates I try to keep my room as cold as possible to deter mosquitos). Housekeeping was also not thorough. My patio table had bird poop on it the day of arrival. It was not until the third day housekeeping finally wiped off the bird poop. I could have wiped it over myself (as I wanted to use the table for a work desk versus the inside one) but I also wanted to see if they’d ever actually clean it … Another night we went out to dinner and got back around 10 pm. My room had not received turn down service. I called and asked for bottled water as I was thirsty and didn't have any. A few minutes later one of the butlers brought me two bottles. About an hour later (maybe 11 pm) house keeping showed up asking if I had received and wanted turn down service. Really? At 11 pm?

We had breakfast and two lunches on property. All food I would rate between okay and terrible. For lunch, ceviche (terrible), fish tacos (poor), and quesadillas (okay). The breakfasts were not good either. I did not enjoy the buffet, omelet, or scramble. Eggs benedict was okay. Service was slow and unpolished. Funny story with example of service. One morning a member of our group ordered wheat toast. Meals arrived with no toast. A few minutes went by and we didn’t see our waitress so flagged down one of the other servers. They said they’d check on it. Few more minutes went by and asked another server to check on it. Finally a few minutes later our waitress checked in and we asked her about the wheat toast. She said they don’t have any wheat toast today. Why wouldn’t she have come out and said this and offered an alternative when the order was placed or breakfast delivered? It seems the approach to service across the property is to say yes and then avoid you if they can’t deliver hoping you’ll forget.

Upon check out I did voice displeasure to the reservations manager. She said she’d review and get back to me with some sort of accommodation for the overall bad experience. Of course, I never heard from her and it’s been two weeks.

Thankfully the stay in Bahia Beach was not the focus of our trip. It was a stop over on the way to St Barth’s. In St Barth’s we had a great time and villa we were pleased with. So thankfully St Barth’s saved the overall trip even though the St Regis was an unsatisfactory experience.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
This place is as beautiful as ever but the service is indeed way too variable. I would spend points here again but no way is it worth half what they're actually charging.

1. SNAs confirmed into Luxury Suite but then we were downgraded to Grand Deluxe, which the front office manager Jarissa tried to pass off as a "Suite" (it isn't). Whatever, it was still a nice room and an upgrade over the basic that we booked on points, so I was fine with it so long as we got our SNAs back (Jarissa promised she'd return them, we'll see...). A round of drinks was comped while we talked to Jarissa about it.

2. We stayed Friday & Saturday nights. Friday the water went out in a number of the buildings from 6:45-8:45 p.m., which is terrible timing (we had gone to the beach and were sandy, and I had gone to the gym, we wanted to shower and then eat). Things happen, but at 7:40 we were told 10-15 minutes so I came back from the gym only to find that in fact the water wasn't back on yet. So at 8:15 I packed some clothes and went to plantation house and asked to be permitted to shower in another room (evidently they were all full) or the spa (evidently the water was out there too, which I questioned because it was literally working in the gym... whatever). Wife & I were proactively given two tall glasses of Laurent Perrier while we watched the koi by the fire, and we were assured it wouldn't be much longer. I asked if we would be told when the water was back on (of course we would be!), but -- imagine that! -- we weren't, so at 8:55 I went back in and the guy was like "oh, no one told you it's been on for ten minutes?" LOL. So bad.

3. Dinner at Paros was nevertheless excellent, even though we pushed it back to 10 p.m. We ended up getting a double portion of the ($62) lobster rice (and only charged for one), and even though I think that was an accident (we asked to share it, and I think the waiter's "share" notation made the kitchen think we wanted to share a double order, LOL), it was still a nice bonus to make up for the crappy water/waiting experience.

4. Butler came with coffee at 9 instead of 9:30 on Saturday, not a great way to wake up.

5. There is construction noise from the new development adjacent. It is so loud that when you are in the spa, it literally shakes the building every minute or so.

6. Thankfully checking out at 2 p.m. was no problem at all.

7. Also, the A/C blew cold in the room and stayed at 65 even when we were out. The bathroom area was warm (the A/C didn't really work well in there) but it didn't smell damp or musty or anything, so that wasn't a problem.

8. With haggling at check out (while wife finished packing), I got one night's resort fee and 20,000 points for the water issue. The construction noise had abated by the time my massage actually began in the spa, and the massage was quite good, and I'm not a compensation grubber, so I didn't press for a recovery there or for the butler mishaps. But after the haggling experience to get a recovery for the water issue, I feel like I should have. The check-out agent literally said "it's not our fault" when I pressed about the inconvenience of waiting around all evening for any running water at a "luxury" resort.

All that said, it was still a delightful weekend, wife loved it. Palapas 14 & 15 are my favorite. The Bonvoy app's chat feature actually works with the butlers and you're able to order drinks, coconuts, etc., delivered all the way down the beach (14 & 15 are a good walk from Seagrapes). That experience and the beautiful property alone are worth the points IMO, just adjust your expectations on everything else!

ETA: We are titanium and full breakfast was free as the welcome gift. You can choose buffet or a la carte. We didn't exceed $36/person on a la carte, so I'm not sure whether they'd charge for overage. They did charge the full gratuity that I left each day, but I don't think the Bonvoy terms say gratuity is included so I guess that's fair game (and isn't going to stop me from leaving a gratuity).
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mrfussion
It started poorly before arrival. I made my booking with points months ago and reached out to the hotel at that time to confirm a paid upgrade. We agreed to a paid upgrade. The day prior to check in I logged in to the app and it showed a base level room. To play it safe I reached out to the hotel via telephone. It was a Sunday so in house reservations was closed, but I talked to one of the butlers who said they’d take care of it. Next day, on my flight in, I check the app again and still showing base level room. I messaged the butlers via the app and they said they’d look into and get back to me. No follow up. Upon arrival at the hotel around 10 pm (coming from California) check in clerk informed we have a lovely garden room … per check in agent nothing she could do, no manager available, they’d follow up the next day. By early afternoon the next day I still had not heard from anyone so reached out to hotel management again. After a lot of back and forth they couldn’t accommodate the room we had agreed to and were stuck with a garden room the entire five nights.
You paid for an upgrade and didn't get an upgrade. Why did you hang up with management when you finally go someone on the first full day on-property? You should have asked for a refund on the spot and points.

I hope you have done a review on TripAdvisor.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
This place is as beautiful as ever but the service is indeed way too variable. I would spend points here again but no way is it worth half what they're actually charging.

1. SNAs confirmed into Luxury Suite but then we were downgraded to Grand Deluxe, which the front office manager Jarissa tried to pass off as a "Suite" (it isn't). Whatever, it was still a nice room and an upgrade over the basic that we booked on points, so I was fine with it so long as we got our SNAs back (Jarissa promised she'd return them, we'll see...). A round of drinks was comped while we talked to Jarissa about it.

2. We stayed Friday & Saturday nights. Friday the water went out in a number of the buildings from 6:45-8:45 p.m., which is terrible timing (we had gone to the beach and were sandy, and I had gone to the gym, we wanted to shower and then eat). Things happen, but at 7:40 we were told 10-15 minutes so I came back from the gym only to find that in fact the water wasn't back on yet. So at 8:15 I packed some clothes and went to plantation house and asked to be permitted to shower in another room (evidently they were all full) or the spa (evidently the water was out there too, which I questioned because it was literally working in the gym... whatever). Wife & I were proactively given two tall glasses of Laurent Perrier while we watched the koi by the fire, and we were assured it wouldn't be much longer. I asked if we would be told when the water was back on (of course we would be!), but -- imagine that! -- we weren't, so at 8:55 I went back in and the guy was like "oh, no one told you it's been on for ten minutes?" LOL. So bad.

3. Dinner at Paros was nevertheless excellent, even though we pushed it back to 10 p.m. We ended up getting a double portion of the ($62) lobster rice (and only charged for one), and even though I think that was an accident (we asked to share it, and I think the waiter's "share" notation made the kitchen think we wanted to share a double order, LOL), it was still a nice bonus to make up for the crappy water/waiting experience.

4. Butler came with coffee at 9 instead of 9:30 on Saturday, not a great way to wake up.

5. There is construction noise from the new development adjacent. It is so loud that when you are in the spa, it literally shakes the building every minute or so.

6. Thankfully checking out at 2 p.m. was no problem at all.

7. Also, the A/C blew cold in the room and stayed at 65 even when we were out. The bathroom area was warm (the A/C didn't really work well in there) but it didn't smell damp or musty or anything, so that wasn't a problem.

8. With haggling at check out (while wife finished packing), I got one night's resort fee and 20,000 points for the water issue. The construction noise had abated by the time my massage actually began in the spa, and the massage was quite good, and I'm not a compensation grubber, so I didn't press for a recovery there or for the butler mishaps. But after the haggling experience to get a recovery for the water issue, I feel like I should have. The check-out agent literally said "it's not our fault" when I pressed about the inconvenience of waiting around all evening for any running water at a "luxury" resort.

All that said, it was still a delightful weekend, wife loved it. Palapas 14 & 15 are my favorite. The Bonvoy app's chat feature actually works with the butlers and you're able to order drinks, coconuts, etc., delivered all the way down the beach (14 & 15 are a good walk from Seagrapes). That experience and the beautiful property alone are worth the points IMO, just adjust your expectations on everything else!

ETA: We are titanium and full breakfast was free as the welcome gift. You can choose buffet or a la carte. We didn't exceed $36/person on a la carte, so I'm not sure whether they'd charge for overage. They did charge the full gratuity that I left each day, but I don't think the Bonvoy terms say gratuity is included so I guess that's fair game (and isn't going to stop me from leaving a gratuity).
Did the resort fee include internet? If so, you were supposed to receive a replacement amenity.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:29 am

Hotel is now showing as a category 8 at 85,000 points per night. It had been showing as a category 7 up until last week.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by slariz
Hotel is now showing as a category 8 at 85,000 points per night. It had been showing as a category 7 up until last week.
i assume because they had just opened they did not increase category back during the original category changes earlier this year. Good way to fill the rooms but i suppose they have healthy occupancy at this point.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by swintec
i assume because they had just opened they did not increase category back during the original category changes earlier this year. Good way to fill the rooms but i suppose they have healthy occupancy at this point.
You're probably right about that - although not sure it is worth it at 85,000 points per night (love the hotel though).
Old May 3, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by slariz
You're probably right about that - although not sure it is worth it at 85,000 points per night (love the hotel though).
It has issues. But those will diminish in time as the team is more experienced since the closure and reopening. But the hard product alone is easily worth the 85K per night. That still is LESS than this property was at 30K SPG points per night (or 90K Marriott points), let alone when it was peak at 35K SPG points per night (or 105K Marriott points).

1readyset2go likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

It has issues. But those will diminish in time as the team is more experienced since the closure and reopening. But the hard product alone is easily worth the 85K per night. That still is LESS than this property was at 30K SPG points per night (or 90K Marriott points), let alone when it was peak at 35K SPG points per night (or 105K Marriott points).

That’s a fair point and a good comparison for the current rate.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:51 pm

I realize it was the initial conversion, but I'm not sure I agree with the 3 to 1 as way of thinking on an ongoing basis. For example, I charged $120k to my former Amex SPG last month. That resulted in 271k points being added to my Marriott account. That gives us a comparison ratio around 2.25 to 1. Obviously people who earn points through hotel stays have a different situation.

Specific to this property, at my earning ratio, 85k points is the equivalent of $755 on a cash back card at 2%. The property is not worth that imo. Although maybe my opinion should be discounted on that point … you could offer me a free stay and I wouldn't have a desire to fly from California to stay at this property …
Old May 3, 2019, 7:54 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mrfussion
I realize it was the initial conversion, but I'm not sure I agree with the 3 to 1 as way of thinking on an ongoing basis. For example, I charged $120k to my former Amex SPG last month. That resulted in 271k points being added to my Marriott account. That gives us a comparison ratio around 2.25 to 1. Obviously people who earn points through hotel stays have a different situation.

Specific to this property, at my earning ratio, 85k points is the equivalent of $755 on a cash back card at 2%. The property is not worth that imo. Although maybe my opinion should be discounted on that point … you could offer me a free stay and I wouldn't have a desire to fly from California to stay at this property …
Credit card churning and earning as you’re suggesting isn’t my concern—and has nothing to do with the 3/1 ratio. The Marriott earning for elites actually staying at Marriott properties is far better than it was with SPG. But 3/1 IS the ratio for people who actually stay at Marriott properties. The fact that credit card churners and earners don’t earn more from their credit card spend just means less competition from people who aren’t usually staying at Marriott properties anyway.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:36 pm

Credit card churning and earning as you’re suggesting isn’t my concern—and has nothing to do with the 3/1 ratio. The Marriott earning for elites actually staying at Marriott properties is far better than it was with SPG. But 3/1 IS the ratio for people who actually stay at Marriott properties. The fact that credit card churners and earners don’t earn more from their credit card spend just means less competition from people who aren’t usually staying at Marriott properties anyway.
Credit card churning? It would seem you use words that you don’t understand what they mean if using that to describe me or my comment … I’ll be sympathetic that people want to rationalize things to make them feel more important and cover other insecurities. The fact is Marriott offers multiple products/services and the people who utilize those offerings are Marriott customers. One of those is co-branded credit cards. And Marriott’s 10-K seems to indicate it’s a meaningful part of their business … So, yes. I am a Marriott customer. And, no. The 3 to 1 ratio is not accurate. And anyone competent enough to read five sentences would know I made the distinction …

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.