Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
It actually is already resolved...it did take me going to the front to do it...got us moved to a higher floor with great views.

The manager did catch up with us afterwards. She was pulled away for an emergency and did apologize...very sweet and offered us all dinner a Fern. Very satisfied. Great recovery.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mumum17
It actually is already resolved...it did take me going to the front to do it...got us moved to a higher floor with great views.

The manager did catch up with us afterwards. She was pulled away for an emergency and did apologize...very sweet and offered us all dinner a Fern. Very satisfied. Great recovery.
Did the higher floor suite have the second shower? The suite I had in Feb had the second shower as advertised...but was on the top floor.

They treated me and my friends incredibly well. Looking forward to my chance to return.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Did the higher floor suite have the second shower? The suite I had in Feb had the second shower as advertised...but was on the top floor.

They treated me and my friends incredibly well. Looking forward to my chance to return.
Yes we did get a second full bath . The first room happened to an wheelchair accessible room.

At least the buildings I saw, The second floor is the top floor here at least...we were in suite 512 (first floor) and moved to suite 1023 (second floor). Both buildings are only two stories and both are st Regis suite with ocean front views.

The service has been great and the manager Angelica was fantastic as she graciously bought us dinner at Fern (wonderful experience).
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:51 pm

I see the three story buildings now...they are behind the pool...at least from my vantage point. Our building are aligned with the pool with only the lawn between us and the beach.

Last edited by mumum17; Jun 14, 2017 at 7:44 pm Reason: Spelling;)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mumum17
Bi see the three story buildings now...they are behind the pool...at least from my vantage point. Our building are aligned with the pool with only the lawn between us and the beach.
Yes, I was behind the pool...no really amazing view, but the suite was incredibly comfortable.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:45 pm

Agreed. The suite is very nice.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I am headed to the St. Regis Bahia Beach next month. I haven't seen any comments regarding transportation options. As per the website, taxi is $95, and limos are $168-$370 each way. What is the best way to navigate the island for 5 days?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pageboy
I am headed to the St. Regis Bahia Beach next month. I haven't seen any comments regarding transportation options. As per the website, taxi is $95, and limos are $168-$370 each way. What is the best way to navigate the island for 5 days?
I rented a car on the cheap through Priceline bidding: $17 per day. It helps to have GPS to deal with signage in Spanish unless you know or can figure out the language, though!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I rented a car on the cheap through Priceline bidding: $17 per day. It helps to have GPS to deal with signage in Spanish unless you know or can figure out the language, though!
I got my rental car from Hotwire. Like you, I used my tablet's GPS to navigate around. I don't like to feel "stranded" somewhere - I absolutely needed a car for a 5 night stay. Got to get out of the resort for some food and out and about the island. I could only do breakfast at Fern so many times and Molasses for dinner!
Did some local BBQ just down the road at El Verde (Google Translate does a good job with the menu on the wall!), breakfast and some yummy pastries at La Familia Bakery. And, there is the CVS right when you get off the toll road to stock up on beverages and sunscreen and junk food before you get to Bahia Beach!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:39 am

As others have mentioned...rent a car. I got from Alamo (they are right at the airport) from Costco travel. Used my phone navigation as all was good. You will need it to go out and enjoy the city...especially old San Juan (sights, nightlife with music and good restaurants like Dragonfly and Marmalade).
Note there is a $24/night required valet parking at hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Used points (30K/night) for a 3 night stay over Labor Day. Overall, a pleasant stay with pros and cons. Would return, but no need to go out of my way. Certainly much better than the several terrible stays I've had at the W Vieques. They're not comparable from a service standpoint.

Room
SNA failed as hotel showed booked Saturday night with lots of rooms available Friday and Sunday. Asked my AMB for an upgrade and general AMB responded that she had let the hotel know. Despite the app not showing an upgrade, received an upgrade to a Luxury Suite behind the pool on the 2nd floor. Pleasant surprise. Room was ready around 2:30, just a little bit after our planned arrival.

The room was nice and huge. Didn't love the shower as the water pressure was weak. Room showing a bit of age. There were no plugs near the bed, which made no sense. Also no plugs at the desk. The Bose system didn't have an adapter for the several year old iPhone. Would expect better. Didn't really have any view, but doesn't look like many of the rooms have much of a view like you'd get at properties in Hawaii or elsewhere.

Service
Staff was very friendly, which was a far cry from several experiences at the W Vieques where the staff seemed bothered we were even there. Butlers were nice, but we didn't use them for much other than coffee every morning. One night, we asked for hot water to be delivered, which took 45+ minutes. They said we had DND on, which was not true (I checked). I was able to add a tip on my folio at checkout and provide the names of the Butlers that assisted us.

Housekeeping wasn't great as others have said. One morning, we came back from breakfast and the room hadn't been serviced. Another evening, we had a partial turndown service before 5 PM, but they didn't draw the blinds or provide water. Towels were not picked up / replaced.

Food
We had breakfast at Fern every morning. Plat amenity covers cold buffet plus juice and coffee. Value is $20/person or you can substitute for pretty much anything on menu. Was decent, but annoying that they don't just provide the entire buffet for $32. Hyatt doesn't nickle and dime like SPG at StR or some high-end properties.

We had dinner at Fern every night. Food was very good, as was service. Prices were high, but not terrible for the quality and location.

Seabreeze for lunch was just okay. Expensive for the lower quality. We much preferred Fern and should've eaten in the lobby bar instead.

Facilities
Beach was nice and not very busy. The staff was helpful.

The pool was warm, but overrun with kids. In the afternoon, we had issues finding available chairs. It was quite noisy, which was disappointing. No adults-only pool???

Gym was empty and had sufficient cardio equipment. The fridge is stocked with bottled water that you can take to your room.

The boathouse area was nice. We kayaked for a bit. The nature walk was full two mornings, which was annoying. If you charge a resort fee, add more if they're full.

Overall, ground were beautiful.

Plat treatment
Overall, pretty good with low standards. Received $10/day F&B credit for resort fee. Tax is still charged on the $75/day resort fee so the $10 doesn't really help much.

Breakfast amenity was okay. Not as cheap as W Vieques ($16/room lol). Would like to have full buffet.

Multiple people thanked me for being SPG Plat, which was a nice touch.

Transportation
We just took a regular taxi to and from the airport. It was ~$65 each way plus tip.

Overall
Overall, a pleasant stay but not a great value given the steep price points and points. Was annoyed that there were kids running around in restaurants and by the pool (beach had none) with no adults-only pool. Literally everyone had 2-4 screaming kids. Nearly everyone was speaking Spanish, which was interesting. Perhaps the resort is popular over Labor Day or during the quieter September hurricane season. I'd return, but prefer Maui (too far from East Coast) and would like to try the new PH St. Kitts if it ever opens.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke777
Used points (30K/night) for a 3 night stay over Labor Day. Overall, a pleasant stay with pros and cons. Would return, but no need to go out of my way. Certainly much better than the several terrible stays I've had at the W Vieques. They're not comparable from a service standpoint.

Overall

Overall, a pleasant stay but not a great value given the steep price points and points. Was annoyed that there were kids running around in restaurants and by the pool (beach had none) with no adults-only pool. Literally everyone had 2-4 screaming kids. Nearly everyone was speaking Spanish, which was interesting. Perhaps the resort is popular over Labor Day or during the quieter September hurricane season. I'd return, but prefer Maui (too far from East Coast) and would like to try the new PH St. Kitts if it ever opens.
Thanks for your review! I completely agree that the biggest weakness of the resort is the lack of an adults only pool...though the beautiful and unspoilt beach more than made up for it for me.

Bolding mine. That really is my only issue with your assessment: that it isn't a great value given the steep price and points required. You got a suite on an award stay--that's incredible value. Even the regular entry level room price point here is quite pricey, so even the regular room award would have been a pretty decent award value.

It's a St Regis 5 star luxury property offering great facilities, great service, and great food/beverage in a beautifully remote-feeling yet easily accessible location, so the price point isn't at all surprising--especially considering the relative price points of all the other 5 star properties in the Caribbean. In fact, IMO this resort may be the best luxury award redemption of any hotel program in the Caribbean region.

If anything, I'm glad you were able to visit and depart before Hurricane Irma arrives later this week!

You may really enjoy the StR Punta Mita, which has several pools, including a large set of adults-only pools, though the beach is rockier and isn't as soft sand beautiful as Bahia Beach is.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 4, 2017 at 6:26 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Alert on hotel website:

Important Information About Special Conditions at this Hotel

We are currently assessing the status of each of our hotels across the Caribbean that have been in the path of Hurricane Irma. The safety of our guests and associates is always a top priority at Marriott International and at this time, we are not aware of, nor have there been any reported injuries. We encourage those planning to visit the storm area to check the news for the most current information and amend their travel plans accordingly. Hotels in the impacted area are waiving hotel cancellation and change fees but details will vary depending on the hotel so we suggest our customers call 1-888-625-4988 for more information about their reservations. Those in countries outside of the United States seeking information about their reservations should call the SPG toll-free number in their country.
I hope the hotel survived reasonably intact and without much damage. Presumably and fortunately, there was no loss of life after Irma passed just north of PR. Thank goodness.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

According to Luxury Travel Advisor, the hotel suffered only minor damage is open again. FYI, the website indicates that the Beach Club is closed now for renovation and will reopen sometime in October.

http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/d...-resorts-fared

SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Beach Club Closure: August - September 2017
From August through September, 2017, the Beach Club will be closed for renovations. It will reopen in October. Please contact the resort for further information.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Duke777
Facilities
Beach was nice and not very busy. The staff was helpful.

The pool was warm, but overrun with kids. In the afternoon, we had issues finding available chairs. It was quite noisy, which was disappointing. No adults-only pool???

Gym was empty and had sufficient cardio equipment. The fridge is stocked with bottled water that you can take to your room.

The boathouse area was nice. We kayaked for a bit. The nature walk was full two mornings, which was annoying. If you charge a resort fee, add more if they're full.

Overall, ground were beautiful.

Overall
We stayed a couple times right after the property opened and the lack of adult pool was one of my major complaints as well. I think the hotel is too big and expensive to not have a relaxing adult-only area. One time was during the summer and it was crazy the entire time. The next time we went in the Fall and it was much quieter but still not great.

We have kids now, so it'll be interesting to see what our experience is like when we return, but it definitely was not the relaxing place we were hoping for on our first visits. Not to say they were bad stays, but an adult pool would have taken our stay from a 7 to a 9 most likely. Since then, we have gone to SR Punta Mita instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.