Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Anyone have updates or photos of the property since Hurricane Maria? I have not seen any.

I did see this notice:
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:11 pm

Got an e-mail last week that my late November reservation was canceled:

Greeting from the St. Regis Bahia Beach, Puerto Rico. We reach out to you as in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria we are currently assessing the damage to our property. Please know that the safety and comfort of our guests and associates is always top priority but never more so than during a weather event such as this. Therefore, we will cease operations over the dates of your reservation and we will proceed to cancel your reservation and fully refund your deposit.

Currently there are travel alerts for most flights to/from the Leeward Islands and Puerto Rico and the airlines may be willing to work with you on waiving change fees.

We remain available to answer further questions.
I have another possible trip there in mid-January, but I'm hesitant to book until things are firmed up a bit. The implied December 1 re-open date seems somewhat optimistic. I hope for their sake they can pull it off.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Online, you can't make a reservation at this property until October 2018. Doesn't seem like a good sign...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Any further updates on this property and PR in general? Looking for a feb 2019 get away.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
For those that have been here a question on the rooms. We are looking at a March 2019 award stay for 7 nights with our 4 and 1 year old. Do the "base" rooms have enough room whereby the 1 year old and his crib can fit into a walk in closet or other "closed off" area without going for a suite?

We find at some hotels the closet or a bathroom split with shower and sinks in one area and toilet in the other is a big enough space for the crib.

We want to see if this hotel can meet our needs of having a quiet, dark, and separate sleeping space for our little guy without having to spring for 2 rooms or a suite.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Any information on the reopening? I am booked over New Year’s and am hoping that the hotel will be functional when we arrive. The Marriott agents insist that the hotel is open, but it is impossible to reach the hotel by phone. There do not seem to be any rooms available in December, but Marriott’s website oddly does not allow multiple-date searches, so there really is no way to see when rooms are actuality now being sold. There is no recent definitive publicly-available information on the hotel reopening, from what I could find.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Any information on the reopening? I am booked over New Year’s and am hoping that the hotel will be functional when we arrive. The Marriott agents insist that the hotel is open, but it is impossible to reach the hotel by phone. There do not seem to be any rooms available in December, but Marriott’s website oddly does not allow multiple-date searches, so there really is no way to see when rooms are actuality now being sold. There is no recent definitive publicly-available information on the hotel reopening, from what I could find.

As I understood it, the hotel was supposed to open in October but isn’t actually going to open until sometime in December. But I wouldn’t be so sure were I in your shoes.

FWIW I’m booked here for early February.

We both knew booking here would be a bit of a risk so soon after its original estimated opening date, so we need to be aware of that and sensitive to the fact that info and infrastructure in Puerto Rico make it more difficult to anticipate its actual opening date. We need to prepare for alternatives just to be safe.

We already are booked for the Vanderbilt Condado in case the StR isn’t yet ready. I suggest you make alternative plans to be safe, as well.

Hopefully, we will learn more as December arrives and its true opening date is decided.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 27, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:02 pm

Property is scheduled to re-open Dec. 11 and nothing indicates they are off target so far. I am booked Jan 5-10 so I may be one of the first to come back with a trip report!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Anyone know if they reopened as scheduled today? Looking online, there are no rooms available at any rate until January 28.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by slariz
Anyone know if they reopened as scheduled today? Looking online, there are no rooms available at any rate until January 28.
I’d give it a few days or more—at least—to check room availability here, since all StR hotels are scheduled to transition today to the new Marriott reservations system. So there likely will be IT glitches around booking some StR properties.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I was going to do a one-night stay during my upcoming trip to PR, but they apparently have a 60 day cancellation requirement during peak season (!!!), so I did cheaper places in Condado instead. I'd really like to try it, since I'm actually moving to PR 1 January and want to know where to send guests. I'll probably head over on Monday to check out the property anyway, since I'll have a car, and maybe take some photos/UAV/etc.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’d give it a few days or more—at least—to check room availability here, since all StR hotels are scheduled to transition today to the new Marriott reservations system. So there likely will be IT glitches around booking some StR properties.
Looks like it corrected itself - now showing available as of January 2, for nearly every night after.

However, when looking to book a 5-night award stay, this language has been added:

"Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 1758.99 USD when you make your reservation.

Cancelling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 10, 2019 (30 day[s] before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals your room charge plus tax for all the nights of your reservation."

So, for this award reservation, they are going to charge my card about $1800 at the time of booking? If I cancel prior to 30 days, will I get this back? And what if I don't spent that amount while staying at the hotel? I'm used to the old SPG system and never seen this before.

Also, does anyone know if young kids can stay in the standard King room? It says maximum occupancy is 2, but that you can also have a crib and a rollaway bed.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

From Marriott Newsroom:
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Debuts Following $60 Million Renovation

svo242 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Yes! The GM here at the StR SF (who used to be GM at the RC San Juan) told me today that the StR Bahia Beach had reopened just yesterday. Fantastico! I can’t wait to be back in Feb.
EuropeanPete and svo242 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
We stayed at the hotel over the New Year’s holidays. We have visited several times before, and the hotel has always been a family favorite due to the staff, pool, and ocean. Post-hurricane, I am mixed on the renovations - the public spaces were extremely well-done (everything looks fresh and contemporary, with lots of natural light and quality materials). However, the rooms to me are not as nice as they were (the whiteness is not as luxurious as the previous style of natural colors and dark woods). This is all personal preference, however - we really loved the original room decor.
What was unmistakable in our stay, though, is how the hotel is just starting to get on its feet again in terms of operations. Almost none of the previous staff are there, and the overall feeling is of a very soft opening. The new staff are over their heads, and departmental management is not very visible. There were a lot of service glitches - though the staff seemed willing to try to make amends, nothing was proactive. Time and again, we would have to ask for things that we had already asked for. My feeling is that the service will be a bumpy road until after this season and training can catch up to the day-to-day challenges.
I will say that the landscaping and setting looked as though nothing had touched the hotel - the setting is as beautiful as it ever has been. There is just a long way to go in terms of getting service levels back to where they once were...
svo242 and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.