Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by essexnyc
We stayed at the hotel over the New Year’s holidays. We have visited several times before, and the hotel has always been a family favorite due to the staff, pool, and ocean. Post-hurricane, I am mixed on the renovations - the public spaces were extremely well-done (everything looks fresh and contemporary, with lots of natural light and quality materials). However, the rooms to me are not as nice as they were (the whiteness is not as luxurious as the previous style of natural colors and dark woods). This is all personal preference, however - we really loved the original room decor.
Thanks for the great review/info! Based on photos I saw online, I'd have to agree about the new room design - a bit bland for my taste and doesn't reflect the tropical atmosphere.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Does anyone have suggestions on whether to rent a car or not from SJU? I'll be there for a week in march with my family (kids are 4 and 1). Trying to decide if there are enough restaurant options on property or via a free shuttle bus/golf cart in nearby village to not need a car or if we truly want other restaurant options other than what is available at the StR then a car is needed.

Also any other "pro tips" from families that have recently been to this resort are appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by beofotch
Does anyone have suggestions on whether to rent a car or not from SJU? I'll be there for a week in march with my family (kids are 4 and 1). Trying to decide if there are enough restaurant options on property or via a free shuttle bus/golf cart in nearby village to not need a car or if we truly want other restaurant options other than what is available at the StR then a car is needed.

Also any other "pro tips" from families that have recently been to this resort are appreciated.
I rented a car for my stay in 2017 and plan to again for my upcoming stay in Feb. I have business in town, but I also want us to be able to get around for excursions, restaurants, etc. There’s also Uber, but with a family I’d think a car would be better. Unless you plan to stay entirely on property, that is. It was easy to do that before Maria, perhaps, but I don’t know how the renovations/new service regime will combine to allow that now.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Tips concerning layout of the pool. It is a 3-tier design with the higher levels spilling over into the lower ones. The top level has a zero-entry feature with cabanas directly behind it.

There is a foot bridge separating the upper level from the mid level. On the side of this bridge are 2 small pools, each 1-foot deep. This is an ideal splash zone / wading pool for young ones.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Any reports on the dining options, food quality, and room service quality since reopening? Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Do plats get free breakfast at this resort?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Any reports on the dining options, food quality, and room service quality since reopening? Thanks!
What used to be Mollasses is now called the Beach Club - this had been our favorite restaurant, and is still really good. The staff has turned over, but the menu is very similar. In our recent stay, we had two great dinners and a third when the kitchen and service collapsed.

What was Fern is now Paros, which has a Greek / Mediterranean menu. We did not eat here. Unfortunately, breakfast is no longer served her, but in Seagreapes.

Seagrapes was the biggest dining disappointment of our recent stay - the food was mediocre and the staff were constantly trying to keep up. This is the only option (except room service) for breakfast. Hopefully food and service will improve here over time.

In terms of car and family tips, we always have rented a car at SJU when staying here - the agencies are on-airport right across from the terminal, so getting out and in is easy, plus the car helps for excursions to Old San Juan, El Yunque, diving, or elsewhere. We have never eaten off-property - there was a row of local food shacks about 10 minutes away from the hotel that we heard has been upgraded, but honestly even with the service deficiencies it is still much more convenient to rotate among the restaurants on property. There is a decent grocery store less than 10 minutes from the hotel (Ralph’s) that is a good stop for snacks and any essentials. Ocean is great for teens but too rough for little kids. They have upgraded the free bikes to use and the play floats in the pond. Overall, still one of our kids’ favorite places anywhere.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Thanks so much @essexnyc!

I’m a room service guy, but my husband loves to eat breakfast in a restaurant. So we likely will try Seagrapes and see how it goes. At least breakfast in the restaurant is free for Plats.

We’ve already booked a few meals for the Beach Club. I think Jose Enrique has taken over that kitchen, so that would bode well.

We already have booked for a few restaurants in San Juan, too. So a good combo.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 21, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Breakfast for 2 is included at Seagrapes with Platinum. You can choose from the full buffet ($36) or a $36pp credit off of the menu. We chose the buffet every morning. The selection was extensive. They have made to order eggs/omelets included. All of the food was really good and the service was very friendly and prompt. The service only struggled a bit on Saturday morning when the restaurant was at capacity. Even then the staff filled in for each other with coffee/juice requests.

We also ate here for lunch and dinner. I highly recommend the pizzas, cooked in a brick oven on the patio. The Mahi-Mahi, Tuna Poke, and Snapper Ceviche were excellent for dinner.

We didn't make it over to the Beach Club, but we did have dinner at Paros. It was excellent. I highly recommend the Lobster Rice.
Paros opens at 6pm and the sun sets around 6:30 this time of year, so to get a view we arrived for dinner immediately after the nightly 6pm Champagne Sabering.
svo242 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Thanks @spectrablue96, as well!

It sounds like the food/beverage team is beginning to get it together. Not too bad considering they’ve only been reopened for a month!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the helpful responses all. Has anyone had luck with Platinum/Platinum Premier upgrades at this property?
I am trying to apply Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for my 5 night stay. There appear to be King Suites and Astor Suites available for my dates which appear to be the "standard" suite.
When I try to apply my 5 SNAs I get an error message

Suite Night Awards cannot be applied to this reservation because there may be not Standard Suites or other premium rooms available during your selected dates, or the hotel may not participate in Suite Night Awards.

When I read the Marriott terms and conditions it says that St. Regis is a brand that allows for application for SNAs however there is a vague qualifier that "some properties don't participate". Is this one? How are we to know? I can't figure out if they are somehow exempting themselves or if its a classic Marriott IT glitch. Any insight is appreciated.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:33 am

For more details on my recent stay, please see my review over in the Hotel Reviews thread:
Link
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:27 pm

trying to decide if we want to stay here or in San Juan at one of the other Bonvoy hotels (ie..closer to the tourist stuff). Is it likely we would miss out on a lot of PR by staying out here at the StR? We would have a car but just wondering if it would get old quickly having to drive a half hour each way to see san juan / old san juan (which i dont think you can even bring a car in to).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA

We are here now! I would definitely without a doubt rent a car. We used Europcar and frankly the process of getting the car was a disaster. EVERYONE that was on our shuttle from SJU to their location about 1 mile away was very upset with them and how slow they were. One woman said she waited well over an hour for the shuttle to pick her up from SJU even after calling them several times letting them know she was there in addition to them knowing because she had a reservation.

On property: there is the beach bar with what you expect on that kind of menu. Seagrapes which will have enjoyed twice. Not blown away but good. A previous poster commented on really slow service. Service was a bit slow, but not terrible, however, major caveat: when we ate here were only 2 other tables occupied and that was only after we had already been seated for 30 minutes!

A Puerto Rican/Caribbean type restaurant (not tried yet) and lastly their fine dining is a Mediterranean restaurant (it is not a Jean George creation). Previously there was a JG restaurant here but no more. In a week (which is how long we are here for) you will get tired of just having these options. I will be writing up much more in the coming hours days. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I will be writing up much more in the coming hours days. Hope this helps.
Look forward to it. Are you going off property for sight seeing? Wondering how you find this to be having the StR as your base versus something more inside San Juan and closer to the action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.