Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:57 pm

Uber is banned in Abu Dhabi so you will not be able to get a car when you arrive at AUH. There is another app alternative called Careem which works in Abu Dhabi, but haven't tried it.

You are certainly unlikely to be able to call an Uber from Al Maha.

Let me know if anyone needs a driver recommendation. I have a chap who I have used a number of times (and recommended to other FTers) and has been very reliable.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Cars

Please PM me your car guy.

Am I crazy to rent a car or is driving easy there? No crazy Mexican insurance scams. I can just use my CC insurance?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:21 am

PM Sent.

Car rental - well, it just depends on what sort of fellow drivers' driving standard you're used to. A busy evening on the highway up to Dubai can be a real eye-opening experience, if you normally drive in a sensible country!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Trip Report

This is certainly a unique place. You wont find anything else like it in the SPG portfolio. This is kind of an African Safari without the animals, which of course is a big miss, but you go here for the natural privacy -- and if peace and quiet is what you're seeking than this is the place.

Prepare for a rugged drive out into the desert. It is on a natural land preserve with a few local animals that just wander around, which is cool. The bungalows are Bedouin style and while trying to be authentic, they do seem a bit dated and musty. Feels more B&B than hotel, for better or worse. Everything just seemed old and worn down. It is nice to have a private patio with a plunge pool. Again, you can sit on your patio and have true quiet and nature, which can be a nice escape.

Our biggest disappointment were the guides/rangers. Upon check in you are assigned a guide and it seems like a personal park ranger - which is cool. But for the most part all of the guides seemed bored and uninterested. They didn't do much guiding at all. Having enthusiastic guides probably would have made a big difference.

You are promised your rate includes two activities, and we booked Horseback Riding and Desert Jeep Tour both of which, surprise, have additional $70 charges a person??? This certainly felt like a bait and switch. My SPG Ambasador eventually sorted this out.

Our activities:
Camel Treck: Very cool, a slow walk through the dunes. What was disappointing is you go with the guides, but they dont say a word or tell you anything about the local area. Our guides just looked bored the whole time-- like they didn't even want to be there.

Falconry: This was actually very cool. You can hold and feed a falcon -- and watch them fly up close. Again, pretty indifferent guide staff, but if you ask them questions they have to talk.

Horseback Ride: You must have some experience, but a fun ride through the desert.

The food was surprisingly good for an all-inclusive resort. Many items to choose from and the staff was willing to accommodate any needs. Alcohol is available for a charge.

The spa was very old and disappointing. When we got there they told us the Spa was all booked for two days (one of us got in because of a cancellation). But seems to me they should contact us ahead of time and let us know we need to book a spa for our stay. Better for them to be proactive and let guests know to plan ahead. Though facilities were old.

Overall this is a very unique place. A cool respite from the everyday. But not sure how i could spend more than two days here without getting very bored.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Sorry to bump;

Am I crazy to want to visit in late July/early August when the temperatures will feel like living on Mars?! Thinking of staying for three nights. I am sure the morning activities are do-able but anything else, or even the desert dinner might be a bit too warm.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Am I crazy to want to visit in late July/early August when the temperatures will feel like living on Mars?! Thinking of staying for three nights.
Honestly, I'd say yes. IIn the summer it is just too hot to enjoy sitting outside on the deck of your villa. I remember my first introduction to the heat of the UAE. All I needed to do was exit the terminal and reenter it. I felt as though my lungs were seared with the heat.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Honestly, I'd say yes. IIn the summer it is just too hot to enjoy sitting outside on the deck of your villa. I remember my first introduction to the heat of the UAE. All I needed to do was exit the terminal and reenter it. I felt as though my lungs were seared with the heat.
Thanks, and I guess being in the middle of the desert would make it a bit more hotter. We have experienced the UAE heat during summer, where its 115 degrees outside, and water temperatures of 90+. Guess we will end up at The Atlantis instead, at least they have Aquaventure Hope it's better than the one in The Bahamas
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sorry to bump;

Am I crazy to want to visit in late July/early August when the temperatures will feel like living on Mars?! Thinking of staying for three nights. I am sure the morning activities are do-able but anything else, or even the desert dinner might be a bit too warm.
Even late at night and in the wee hours of the morning in June-August, going outside in DXB is just not for me. Let's just say I found DEL to sometimes be way more pleasant outdoors in July than DXB, and I wouldn't suggest being there either in July.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to bump;
Have to agree with the others about going in the summer. Craaazzzy! There is a reason that a lot of locals leave. We were at Al Maha last month and thoroughly enjoyed our two days, which is all you really need or would want there. Staff was wonderful, food was quite good and the accommodations very nice. We arrived in a sandstorm which was pretty cool. Trip report here and here.

Our Al Maha host remarked that while summer is indeed very hot, weekends are surprisingly busy with a lot of Dubai residents coming to escape the humidity of the city. LOL. How about leaving the country in the summer?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:57 pm

Thank you all for your consensus that we should avoid going there during the hottest months of the year. For some reason we gravitate towards the UAE as our layover when we travel between Australia and Europe (and I blame either EY F or EK F )

Thanks for the link to your review SFO777 - the dune bashing looks fun and falconry seemed very close up and personal.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if award, definitely go when best weather (& highest paid rates)

may be good not to assume these awards will stay under marriott
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if award, definitely go when best weather (& highest paid rates)

may be good not to assume these awards will stay under marriott
^^^
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by stargold
PM Sent.

Car rental - well, it just depends on what sort of fellow drivers' driving standard you're used to. A busy evening on the highway up to Dubai can be a real eye-opening experience, if you normally drive in a sensible country!
Oh renting a car is fine. It's no harder than driving in Boston
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
^^^
especially with RC reserve & other nonparticipating RC etc (not just residences)

al maha is not one of SPG with insanely high holiday rates (best value awards)
Old May 18, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Good news - renovation coming this summer with completion planned by September 2017. Full details in the press blast below. Checked the resort's website and it says the renovations started the first week of this month.

Finally; this place was looking well-worn and dated! Let's see what awaits...

khabah

Al Maha, A Luxury Collection to undergo summer refurb

May 18, 2017 - A Luxury Collection, Desert Resort & Spa will undergo a comprehensive renovation and reconstruction programme scheduled for the summer.

Extensive renovation of the resort will begin in May with the uplifting and refurbishing of its 42 private suites. New fabrics and designs will be incorporated for the re-upholstering of furniture and drapes. Bathroom fittings and tiles as well as technical and lighting features will be upgraded, along with a completely refurbished pool deck area of each suite.

The restaurant, main building and spa will remain fully operational during the refurbishment, and the newly done up areas will be ready to receive guests by September 2017.

The work will be carried out in phases and most of the work will take place inside the suites. All desert activities will remain ongoing as per the original timings.

"Our focus has always been to heighten the guest experience in all areas of the resort. As we undergo the refurbishment, we are extremely mindful not to cause any inconvenience to our in-house guests. We’re confident that our guests will enjoy the updated look and feel of Al Maha when we’re ready in September," said Patrick Antaki, complex general manager, Le Meridien Al Aqah, Fujairah and Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, in a statement.

Source: http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/30...summer-refurb/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.