Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Can someone please help me understand what the expectations are for tipping the waitstaff at this resort? Just got on property today; and I'm a bit confused. If you eat but do not order anything to drink but water/coffee/tea you are not presented with a bill. If you do order the "extra charge" soft drinks or alcohol you are presented with a bill for those items and can tip on that bil.

So, is there a service charge included for those items that goes to the staff?? Are you supposed to tip on just that amount?? Or I am supposed to estimate what the full meal would costs and then tip on that?? And if I'm not presented with a bill and I expected to tip in cash?? Very confusing

On a side note, I do think that it's a bit ridiculous that soda and juice is not included as part of the full board. For the prices they charge (both points/cash wise) that really should be included. Other than that, really enjoying the stay so far.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
No tipps expected
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by roder
On a side note, I do think that it's a bit ridiculous that soda and juice is not included as part of the full board. For the prices they charge (both points/cash wise) that really should be included.
Agreed.

Regarding the tipping situation: I added a small tip when I was presented with a bill (happened only on 2-3 occasions). Other than that I didn't tip, except for the field guide on the last day because I always was assigned the same throughout my stay and he was really extremely helpful and professional.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by JohnRain
For all those interested in a recent trip report about this property, I just posted my Al Maha installment this morning:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-desert-3.html

All I can say is: amazing!
I now plan to stay thanks to your report. We're looking at early December. How cold did it get at night when you were there?

(Here's the link that should take folks directly to the Al Maha section of your report.}
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I now plan to stay thanks to your report. We're looking at early December. How cold did it get at night when you were there?

(Here's the link that should take folks directly to the Al Maha section of your report.}
Thanks SanDiego1K. Regarding the temperatures, we were really out of luck as it was never warm. The first two days it was windy, overcast and chilly at night (16-18C). Only the last day was sunny, but temperatures never rose above 24C and at night it was cold again. The field guide told me that there are only about 10 days like that per year, but I checked the weather ever since we left and it never got really better, so I guess it's safe to say that December 2015 has been colder than usual. If you want to make absolutely sure that the weather will be warm and sunny (without being too hot) you probably should go in November (or in February).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks SanDiego1K. Regarding the temperatures, we were really out of luck as it was never warm. The first two days it was windy, overcast and chilly at night (16-18C). Only the last day was sunny, but temperatures never rose above 24C and at night it was cold again. The field guide told me that there are only about 10 days like that per year, but I checked the weather ever since we left and it never got really better, so I guess it's safe to say that December 2015 has been colder than usual. If you want to make absolutely sure that the weather will be warm and sunny (without being too hot) you probably should go in November (or in February).
JohnRain I am doing a similar itinerary: 2 days at WA palm and 2 days at the AL maha. At what time do you think it is a good idea to check out from WA and check in at Al maha? I have late check out on WA (4pm) and early check in on Al maha (9am)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
JohnRain I am doing a similar itinerary: 2 days at WA palm and 2 days at the AL maha. At what time do you think it is a good idea to check out from WA and check in at Al maha? I have late check out on WA (4pm) and early check in on Al maha (9am)
lotrbfme, The WA is a great property but Al Maha is unique, so my advice would be to check out right after breakfast in order to get to Al Maha as soon as possible. Between the two activities per day that are included in your package, full board and some relaxation in your suite, the 2 days will be over in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:57 pm

Regarding the 2 activities per day, if I check in during the evening, will I be able to do the 1 activities the following day prior to checkout?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Regarding the 2 activities per day, if I check in during the evening, will I be able to do the 1 activities the following day prior to checkout?
There are nine activities in total that you can choose from and they're divided into two categories, ie morning activities and afternoon activities. Just book them as soon as you've made your choice and you're all set (irrespective of your check-out time the next day).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:40 pm

My reservation is for early March, my wife and I can't wait to go.

What's the best way to get there from Dubai (not airport)? The property quoted me AED 425 (roughly $115US) each way for a luxury 4x4 to or from anywhere in Dubai. How much will a cab be? This will be my first time in UAE.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My reservation is for early March, my wife and I can't wait to go.

What's the best way to get there from Dubai (not airport)? The property quoted me AED 425 (roughly $115US) each way for a luxury 4x4 to or from anywhere in Dubai. How much will a cab be? This will be my first time in UAE.
I would strongly recommend to take the hotel 4x4, as the last 20 minutes of the itinerary are on a poor (sand) road where it definitely makes sense to have an off-road vehicle. A cab / Uber should cost around 300-350 AED but depending on the car you'll get it will be a rocky ride (and a longer one as a normal car has to drive slowly on sand whereas a 4x4 can go much faster).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I would strongly recommend to take the hotel 4x4, as the last 20 minutes of the itinerary are on a poor (sand) road where it definitely makes sense to have an off-road vehicle. A cab / Uber should cost around 300-350 AED but depending on the car you'll get it will be a rocky ride (and a longer one as a normal car has to drive slowly on sand whereas a 4x4 can go much faster).
To my recollection the rocky part of the trip is not open to cars other than the hotel's cars.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
To my recollection the rocky part of the trip is not open to cars other than the hotel's cars.
Unfortunately it is. I found that out the hard way as I took an Uber to the property and it was a slow and bumpy ride. I had read somewhere that a hotel car comes to pick you up at the gate for the last bit of the way, but that didn't happen. I learned from my mistake and for the way back I booked the hotel limo (a big black GMC 4x4) and it was a perfectly smooth and quick ride.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
At the resort now and all I can say is Wow! So worth it
I took uber here from Dubai (only 180 AED) but not sure best way to get to Abu Dhabi ? Hotel what's 640 AED which sounds really high but no way to get Uber out here due to lack of nearby cars and even so they would get lost anyway
Does anybody have any advice or contacts of private drivers ?
Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
At the resort now and all I can say is Wow! So worth it
I took uber here from Dubai (only 180 AED) but not sure best way to get to Abu Dhabi ? Hotel what's 640 AED which sounds really high but no way to get Uber out here due to lack of nearby cars and even so they would get lost anyway
Does anybody have any advice or contacts of private drivers ?
Thanks
Careem is a good alternative. Try to give them a call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.