Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Originally Posted by duranza
NYGuy. were you charged the resort fee?
No resort fee charged. If you have elite status, you can check-in at the HHonors desk where they pretty much know everything there is to know about bennies and what not. This means you shouldn't have to tell them anything. They advised me the resort fee is waived for point stays. Still get the bennies as if you paid it, but no charge.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by NVGuy36
No resort fee charged. If you have elite status, you can check-in at the HHonors desk where they pretty much know everything there is to know about bennies and what not. This means you shouldn't have to tell them anything. They advised me the resort fee is waived for point stays. Still get the bennies as if you paid it, but no charge.
thanks.. I have no status though or lowest one.. whichever.. anyways hoping to save $150 then. :-)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:11 pm

My apologies...I was thinking of the Hilton when referring to the HHonors desk. We stayed there 10 nights prior to the 6 nights at the Marriott. So, no Elite bennies at all for Golds or Silvers at the Marriott.....well, not exactly nothing....we DID score a very nice ocean view upgrade as a Gold
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Question

Originally Posted by NVGuy36
Did you have to pay for parking?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:14 pm

I had to pay for parking at both resorts because we were renting a car. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe that is waived for anyone.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
If you know the manager email for the Waikoloa Beach Marriott would you mind PM'ing it to me?

Thanks!

Simon
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Just got back from this hotel and not real impressed. I am PP and was on an awards stay, when I checked in I asked if any upgrades where available? They said sorry they were sold out but if I want to upgrade with cash they could find something for me. They pretty much gave the impression that they do not upgrade for award stays. After a few days noticed I was not getting a paper, they said I would have to request it even though it is on my profile. Only good thing is they forgot to offer me a Platinum gift so they gave me $100 resort credit. Great location but if going back to the big island, I think I would pay cash to stay at a neighboring property. They seemed a lot nicer and more up to date.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jm62
Just got back from this hotel and not real impressed. I am PP and was on an awards stay, when I checked in I asked if any upgrades where available? They said sorry they were sold out but if I want to upgrade with cash they could find something for me. They pretty much gave the impression that they do not upgrade for award stays. After a few days noticed I was not getting a paper, they said I would have to request it even though it is on my profile. Only good thing is they forgot to offer me a Platinum gift so they gave me $100 resort credit. Great location but if going back to the big island, I think I would pay cash to stay at a neighboring property. They seemed a lot nicer and more up to date.
I am headed there in three weeks. Were there any Plat benefits? Breakfast?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed a stay here as a Gold.

Room was a "pool view," and that's what was booked. No upgrades available, even if I was willing to pay.

The room was on the second floor, looking directly over the hot tub, and right in front of a walking path. Let's just say there was no changing in the room; only the bathroom.

So the room was in a crappy location.

Pool service starts at 11am. The sun is up and strong by 9-9:30am. I thought that was weak.

Ate at the Hawaii Calling for a snack, and the service was pretty slow. (I had to get out of my seat to get our server so we could pay & leave on time for the airport.)

The self-parking lot was very full in the evenings; to the point of there being no spots available. So the options were valet or just hideout until somebody left.

Resort fee was charged ($25). As a result, there was no real Gold benefit since it included wifi.

Staff lacked that typical aloha/ohana attitude.

I'd avoid this property in the future, at least while it's under current management. It's a shame because the grounds and location are otherwise nice.

Last edited by UNITED959; Mar 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I thought fee resort is waived for award stays? or is that just for the Hilton..as previous page states.. NYGuy
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by duranza
I thought fee resort is waived for award stays? or is that just for the Hilton..as previous page states.. NYGuy
The resort fee was not waived when I (a Plat) stayed on an award stay this past December.

afaik, Hyatt as well as Hilton are two chains that waive the resort fees for top elites.

As a Plat though, I was offered a discount on the daily breakfast buffet. iirc, the resultant charge was in the $15 or $20/pp range.

fwiw, I did receive an upgrade to a partial ocean view and enjoyed my stay there.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
One night stay ( 20th April )

Hi,

I stayed at the Waikoloa Marriott for one night in late April before moving to the hilton.

I requested a pool view room and got room 5280 in the Kamehameha wing

The room was large, well maintained, quiet with a good a/c and had a fridge.

The balcony had two chairs and a small table.

The bed was comfortable.

The Kings shops with a general store is just across the road and the Queen's , market place is just a few minutes walk away ( the Island gourmet market in the Queen's market place was cheaper for water ( 24*500ml bottles for $9.99 against $15 for the same water at the King's shops)

Breakfast buffet at Hawaii calls was $28 ( but the resort charge gives a 25% discount ) and was pretty good.

The pools were large and good with a water slide and the beach is a short walk away.

As I was moving to the Hilton Resort, I asked for a 130pm check out and this was offered with no problem.

Overall it is a good hotel and had a good short stay there.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have an email address for someone at the front office? If so, please PM me
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I checked in here earlier today having booked the room using the Marriott Reward Rate. The rate for the room I booked states "Pool View, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Balcony". I'm a Gold via my United Premier account.
A couple days earlier I was contacted by reservation team as to when I thought I'd be arriving. I gave them an estimate and offered to check in later if it would help them with inventory.
Upon checkin I was told I'd be getting a double room. I mentioned that I'd requested a King size bed. After checking, the agent Tracey told me they had no King rooms left. I asked her if there were any King rooms in a different category - after checking, the answer was no. When I asked the front desk agent about the "Guaranteed Room Type" she seemed not to know what I was talking about.
To add salt to the wounds, while I was waiting, a single lady was checking in next to me who was a non-elite, got an Ocean View King at a lower rate than mine (Hawai‘i Food & Wine Festival rate) and was apparently upgraded to boot
So as mentioned by others up thread, Gold Status appears to have to no little value here.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by konoyaro
When I asked the front desk agent about the "Guaranteed Room Type" she seemed not to know what I was talking about.
Escalate it to a manager and tell them you are invoking the Room Type Guarantee. You can also call Marriott Customer Service to help you out as well, if they continue to say that they don't know anything about the Guarantee (which is $100 to you.) Note that to get the $100 from the Guarantee you have to invoke it before you check-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.