Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The Mauna Kea has a better beach and is superior in many ways. There are some things that you should keep in mind though. The Mauna Kea food options are limited and expensive. The property is remotely located which is a plus but can be an issue if $24 burgers and $16 Mai Tais are not to your liking. If that's not an issue, go with Mauna Kea.
Agree with this. Depends how much time you will spend in your room and if walking to more reasonable dining/shopping options is important to you.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Probably not. You'll get the UA points & credit, & Marriott recognition bennies such as free wifi, possible upgrade. I've seen some promos that Marriott has done w/ the airlines & in the fine print you find out you're not really getting Marriott points or are limited to XX, regardless of spend.

If the AAA rate is still available, I'd drop the UA ressie (unless you want the 10K points) & book AAA.

Cheers.
I'm about to go there too and book the United rate, and I wasn't aware of this - We'll be staying 5 nights and it's a great, cheap rate.

144 + 50USD credit + 15000 UA miles

vs. just 144 without any extras (the Mauna Kea is 350 for the same period of time, so a no-go)

I don't see anywhere why it wouldn't count? If we'd get no points, does that mean the stay also doesn't count towards any promotions (e.g. 2 stays = 1 free night)

EDIT: I see I have to change my earning preference to United miles, that'd explain that. bummer. But still worth it. Should STILL go towards the promotion though, right?

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm about to go there too and book the United rate, and I wasn't aware of this - We'll be staying 5 nights and it's a great, cheap rate.

144 + 50USD credit + 15000 UA miles

vs. just 144 without any extras (the Mauna Kea is 350 for the same period of time, so a no-go)

I don't see anywhere why it wouldn't count? If we'd get no points, does that mean the stay also doesn't count towards any promotions (e.g. 2 stays = 1 free night)

EDIT: I see I have to change my earning preference to United miles, that'd explain that. bummer. But still worth it. Should STILL go towards the promotion though, right?
I'm not aware of any current stay 2 times, get 1 free night promo. Link?

Also, if you can provide a link to the United package you're referring to, it would be easier to ascertain if it's eligible (ie, the fine print).

Cheers.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not aware of any current stay 2 times, get 1 free night promo. Link?

Also, if you can provide a link to the United package you're referring to, it would be easier to ascertain if it's eligible (ie, the fine print).

Cheers.
The promo is the new member signup promo:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/prom...promotion=FN12

In the T&C it just says:

Make two paid stays at a participating Marriott® hotel during your earning period to receive a free night certificate at any participating Category 1-5 hotel.
The United promo is this one:

https://www.marriott.com/specials/me...splayLink=true

It just says you need to indicate "earn miles" to get the miles.

Also, I just realized - the offer says it is expiring September 7th, but when I select dates past September 7th it's still possible to book it. Does that mean one needs to BOOK before September 7th? Or do I actually need to stay by September 7th and it's an error on the website that it's possible to book it and if I do it I won't get any of the promotional benefits?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:43 am

The promo is the new member signup promo:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/prom...promotion=FN12

In the T&C it just says:

The United promo is this one:

https://www.marriott.com/specials/me...splayLink=true

It just says you need to indicate "earn miles" to get the miles.

Also, I just realized - the offer says it is expiring September 7th, but when I select dates past September 7th it's still possible to book it. Does that mean one needs to BOOK before September 7th? Or do I actually need to stay by September 7th and it's an error on the website that it's possible to book it and if I do it I won't get any of the promotional benefits?
Ah, got it re: the new member promo. I thought you were referring to a more generic stay 2/get 1 as has been done in the past.

Re: the September 7th. It needs to be booked by Sept 7th, but you can stay through Oct 31st.

United Airlines Mileage Promotion
Includes 10,000 Bonus United Airlines Miles with a four night stay or 15,000 Bonus miles when staying five nights or longer as well as one time 50 USD food and beverage credit per stay. Also includes two in-flight Mai Tais. Hotel to mail Mai Tai coupons to guests directly prior to arrival. Please ensurehotel has the correct mailing address on reservation. 4 night minimum night stay is required. 10,000 bonus miles will be issued by United Airlines after departure. Travel dates are April 15, 2015 through October 31, 2015

I called Marriott Rewards Cust Service (great gal; Victoria D) & she confirmed that the stay will count towards your new member promo. Also, that while you won't earn Marriott points since you're switching your earning to miles for this stay, you will receive United Miles for each $ spent at the property in addition to the 10K/15K promo.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, got it re: the new member promo. I thought you were referring to a more generic stay 2/get 1 as has been done in the past.

Re: the September 7th. It needs to be booked by Sept 7th, but you can stay through Oct 31st.

United Airlines Mileage Promotion
Includes 10,000 Bonus United Airlines Miles with a four night stay or 15,000 Bonus miles when staying five nights or longer as well as one time 50 USD food and beverage credit per stay. Also includes two in-flight Mai Tais. Hotel to mail Mai Tai coupons to guests directly prior to arrival. Please ensurehotel has the correct mailing address on reservation. 4 night minimum night stay is required. 10,000 bonus miles will be issued by United Airlines after departure. Travel dates are April 15, 2015 through October 31, 2015

I called Marriott Rewards Cust Service (great gal; Victoria D) & she confirmed that the stay will count towards your new member promo. Also, that while you won't earn Marriott points since you're switching your earning to miles for this stay, you will receive United Miles for each $ spent at the property in addition to the 10K/15K promo.

Cheers.
:O thanks so much! I was gonna do that today to confirm, but way to go haha. I value 10x Marriott Points more than 2x UA miles, but 15k bonus miles I don't wanna miss out on just because of that. What's weird is that I don't see the October 31st travel date you quote anywhere on that site, but I do remember it lasting longer so I'm pretty sure it's true. Looking forward to my stay.

my SO and me are doing 2 nights in San Fran at 2 different SPG's and then 5 nights at the Marriott. Since I also have a "2 stays = 2 free nights" promo with SPG, I just need 1 more night at any Marriott and those 7 vacation days will turn into 3 free nights.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:15 pm

What's weird is that I don't see the October 31st travel date you quote anywhere on that site, but I do remember it lasting longer so I'm pretty sure it's true.
When you click on the promo link & plug in some dates (I did an arbitrary 9/14-9/19) for the property and click on the $144 room, the information is under the "Rate Rules" link/the information I posted above appears. I think there's also a 7-day cancel policy - ie, you can cancel up until 7 days before the stay for no-charge but once you're inside the 7 day window there's a charge for the first night.

Enjoy your stay!

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm

Created a wiki to provide the resort fee info.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question, the resort fee says:

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more.

Yet my reservation says:

Additional Charges
On-site parking, fee: 18 USD daily

... so what's the case? Do I have to pay 18 USD per day for parking my rental car or is it included?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Question, the resort fee says:

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more.

Yet my reservation says:

Additional Charges
On-site parking, fee: 18 USD daily

... so what's the case? Do I have to pay 18 USD per day for parking my rental car or is it included?
In July the $18 was included in the $30. Other Marriott Hawaii properties charge both so I might call to see if they now also, do so.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:36 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Marriott vs Courtyard Kona

Hi,

I currently am holding bookings at both properties. I am not sure which one is the better choice as I am just there for 2 nights and I have been a to Big Island before. It is just a short break to drive around and visit other places - so basically I have done all the need to do stuff.

For the Marriott I pay 80 USD more compared to the Courtyard (mainly due to the resort fees).

Therefore, advise would be welcome on a better property as a Plat - I guess I don't get any additional beanies at either.

Cheers!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I currently am holding bookings at both properties. I am not sure which one is the better choice as I am just there for 2 nights and I have been a to Big Island before. It is just a short break to drive around and visit other places - so basically I have done all the need to do stuff.

For the Marriott I pay 80 USD more compared to the Courtyard (mainly due to the resort fees).

Therefore, advise would be welcome on a better property as a Plat - I guess I don't get any additional beanies at either.

Cheers!
if you're not going to spend a lot of time on property, then I'd go for the cheaper of the two. However, the feel of the Waikoloa is very different than the area where the courtyard it... it is very much in the 'bustle' of kona... Waikoloa is quintessential resort area. Now for many being in Kona would be a plus with the closeness of restaurants and shopping etc.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Waikoloa Marriott Trip - part 1 - Mauna Kea Beach Resort

Hi everyone, we spent a week at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. Actually, we spent a night at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel and then moved to the Marriott. We were two adults and two kids (8 and 10).

First, the Mauna Kea. The hotel is a short drive off route 19. You pass a gatehouse and the guard matches your name to your hotel reservation, gives you a hang-tag for the car and off you go.

They seemed to be short staffed and it took them about 15 minutes to check us in. In the meantime they served us juice and cold towels. This on our way from the lobby area to our room. We had a room in the far wing.

I believe this is the only pool on the property.

A couple of shots of the room

We were on the fourth floor. We walked down to the first floor on the first night of our stay here

...and to the right...

...and the beach, the following morning.

Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Waikoloa Marriott Trip - part 2 - Waikoloa Beach Resort

We went exploring the next day of our stay and stumbled upon the Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort. With two little kids, it seemed a no-brainer to move. So, here are some pictures from the Marriott.

We got a partial ocean view/ pool view room. This is from the lanai of our room.

View to the left

...and the view to the right.

The in-house restaurant

This is a view from hotel walkways to the beach. The beach isn't that great here but there are beach chairs for people to lounge around. Also, the snorkeling is not bad.

There are ancient Hawaiian fish ponds between the hotel and the sea. There are also remnants of some ancient structures.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...2/DSC02570.JPG

The hotel itself is well kept but does look dated. This is with my back to the sea.

Some wide angle shots

and another of the pool area

Also, Hapuna beach is about an 8-10 minute drive from the hotel

At the end of our trip, goodbye Big Island.

Last edited by porky; Mar 15, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:52 pm

Pictures speak a thousand words. Thanks so much!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.