Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm. If they upgrade the pool and other facilities that might be a good thing.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA No staus, HHonors Gold, SPG none, Hyatt-none
Just finished a 7 night stay at Waikoloa. I'm only a silver member and had to pay the daily $30 resort fee (include self-parking, internet, free 30-minute picture session, discounts towards some misc. things at hotel). Did get an upgrade to a larger room, standard room is 400 sq was upgraded to 500 sq room. Overall, hotel staff is nice, breakfast/lunch is reasonable, and grounds are nice.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
For those interested in staying at this property at the end of August, there's a discounted rate for attendees of the Hawaii Food and Wine Festival...
Old May 16, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by konoyaro
For those interested in staying at this property at the end of August, there's a discounted rate for attendees of the Hawaii Food and Wine Festival...
Nice, thanks. Lots of other hotels too.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, definitely not an ideal place to use your rewards, considering the category and the fact you can get room rates in the low $100s. I was going to use my points and then just decided to pay with AAA rate. Ended up cancelling anyway Would've been there the same week as you! Will likely stay next spring break instead. How did you enjoy your stay?
I booked this stay while it was still a CAT 5... I would never book it as a CAT7. I enjoyed the stay very much. I've stayed here several times over the years, dating back to when Marriott just took over the property. I've never had a bad stay. It's just hard to justify staying here in the future when I can stay at a hyatt with free lounge/breakfast and no resort fee as a diamond.

It's hard to imagine how they are going to convert half of it to a time share. That is going to take some massive renovations. I'm not sure that Waikoloa needs another time share... the current time share offerings are extensive and very nice. Now of course they are not Marriott time shares. The Marriott as is fills a nice niche in the overall resort. My guess is that they are desperately looking to reduce capacity to increase prices.... well there is so much capacity at the Hilton that any drop at the Marriott will be like a pebble in a lake. They always have been about the same price as all the similarly equipped resorts in the area.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
Hi all,
Check in to the hotel in 3 days. What can we expect as a platinum member? Chance for waived/reduced resort fee and free breakfast? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Giroud
Hi all,
Check in to the hotel in 3 days. What can we expect as a platinum member? Chance for waived/reduced resort fee and free breakfast? Thanks!
No chance for free breakfast, but see my post #425 above for a recent Plat stay check in experience and fee details.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Rumor on Insiders that this hotel is gong to close, renovate and reopen as an MVC.

Wild baseless rumor, or....?
I don't know about the reopen as an MVC but this property definitely needs needs to close and renovate.

Finished a 5 day stay here and the rooms are just plain beat. color scheme is from the old Airport Marriott's.

Food is only OK; you will certainly will be disappointed if you compare to any resort in Asia.

Service is top notch.

They offer local rates (Hawaii Drivers Licence required) So i believe they have found their core customers, when we where there there were 50% local people staying at the resort.

Not sure where a property like this goes?
Close, Reno and re-open; possibly

It must cost millions of dollars to renovate and be able to charge $350.00 a night; not sure that's in the cards.
Wouldn't be surprised to see this property limp along and offer rates in the low $100.00's. Of course something has to give and right now that is the accommodations and F&B.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Interesting. I booked this as a silver in August. When I applied for the RC card they upgraded my status to gold, but this reset the reservation date somehow in the system. They downgraded my room type because "some people book this a year in advance."

I guess the gold got me the room guarantee penalty, but I'd have rather had the right room.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Rates and Credits

Anyone know how this works? I booked for a stay in September and there were various rates, one of them being a United Mileage special (or something like that wording)--same rate as AAA so booked the UAL special.

However, did I do the right thing? It says that I would get 10000 united mileage points, and a $50 credit for use at the hotel.

If I do this united mileage booking, will I still get Marriott points and credit for stays?

Help? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lking
Anyone know how this works? I booked for a stay in September and there were various rates, one of them being a United Mileage special (or something like that wording)--same rate as AAA so booked the UAL special.

However, did I do the right thing? It says that I would get 10000 united mileage points, and a $50 credit for use at the hotel.

If I do this united mileage booking, will I still get Marriott points and credit for stays?

Help? Thanks.
Probably not. You'll get the UA points & credit, & Marriott recognition bennies such as free wifi, possible upgrade. I've seen some promos that Marriott has done w/ the airlines & in the fine print you find out you're not really getting Marriott points or are limited to XX, regardless of spend.

If the AAA rate is still available, I'd drop the UA ressie (unless you want the 10K points) & book AAA.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Thanks, took your advice and changed rez.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I see I can stay for nearly the same points up the road at the Mauna Kea. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
The Mauna Kea is vastly superior in all respects in my opinion. The rooms and lanais at the Marriott are tiny. The beach is okay but not all that impressive by Hawaii standards. The Mauna Kea is on a world class beach that doesn't get very crowded due to limited public parking. Most of the room were remodeled a few years ago after the hotel closed due to earth quake damage. You can find some comparison of the two in the Mauna Kea thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ownership.html

The Marriott is fine for $150 an night on Priceline but there is a reason that the Mauna Kea generally commands 2-3 times as much.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lucycan
I see I can stay for nearly the same points up the road at the Mauna Kea. Any thoughts?
The Mauna Kea has a better beach and is superior in many ways. There are some things that you should keep in mind though. The Mauna Kea food options are limited and expensive. The property is remotely located which is a plus but can be an issue if $24 burgers and $16 Mai Tais are not to your liking. If that's not an issue, go with Mauna Kea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.