Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Started new thread - can delete this...thx

Last edited by pokee; Dec 22, 2014 at 3:16 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:23 pm

nice stay in Dec 14.

We spent several days at this hotel in Dec, 2014 and had the similarly great experience as PHLGovFlyer.

I used reward points for stay, when checked in, was upgraded to ocean view with a print out including the buy one get one coffee offer.

All in all, the hotel is very relaxed with nice Sunset view and great access to the bay/beach. There is a nearby queen's market where you can do some shopping and get some freshly cooked food to go from the supermarket.

[QUOTE=PHLGovFlyer;23838764]I checked in here a few days ago and it appears that the property is getting its act together in terms of Plat bennies.

I was greeted at check in and immediately informed that they had upgraded me from my reserved pool view room to an ocean view room (it was booked as a paid stay). The FD agent also offered me the choice of Plat arrival points or $10 food and bev credit. She also gave me a pre-printed sheet detailing the Plat benefits at the resort:

30% off Hawaii Calls Breakfast Buffet (regularly $29 + tax per person).
Pool side cabana rental of $30 (reg $50 per day).
Elite Lu'au pricing of $77 (reg $102 pp), children 6-12 years $36 (reg $48 pp).
Buy one get one free Large drip coffee at the coffee shop.
10% off any treatment at Mandara spa.
Comp access to the steam room at Mandara Spa based on availability from 09:00 to 5pm.

The FD agent noted that they waive the resort fee ($25/night) for Plats (not sure about golds), but would charge me for parking ($18/night for self parking) which would otherwise have been included in the resort fee. I thought this was a reasonable compromise.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:14 am

Appreciate the insights on this property vs the Hilton (I find it interesting that despite hearing they're roughly similar and folks in this thread are positive, folks in the Hilton are pretty negative about that property).
Any thoughts on this location vs the Sheraton? Folk in that thread are pretty negative too
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Both the Hilton and Marriott are much worse than the Hapuna Prince or Mauna Lani which often are in the same price range as the brand name properties. If you have an absolute need to stay at a chain hotel in Hawaii then the Marriott is slightly better than the Hilton.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Both the Hilton and Marriott are much worse than the Hapuna Prince or Mauna Lani which often are in the same price range as the brand name properties. If you have an absolute need to stay at a chain hotel in Hawaii then the Marriott is slightly better than the Hilton.
Deciding between Hapuna Prince and Marriott. $169 for Marriott vs $175 for Hapuna Prince via hotwire for the two hotels. However I am Gold with Marriott. Which one is a better deal
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

No contest, Hapuna. Awesome beach and all around better ambiance. Only negative is having not as many nearby restaurants but a 5-10 minute drive will give you access to all the same restaurants you can visit from the Marriott. The Marriott simply doesn't compare to the Hapuna.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
No contest, Hapuna. Awesome beach and all around better ambiance. Only negative is having not as many nearby restaurants but a 5-10 minute drive will give you access to all the same restaurants you can visit from the Marriott. The Marriott simply doesn't compare to the Hapuna.
Agree 100% with this statement. Also, rooms are bigger with better views available.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Just finished a 7 night reward stay here. They started charging plats for the resort fees even on reward stays in February. I guess in a twisted way there is no longer a need to give a discount to plats for internet since how everyone gets it. But hey the resort fee gives us access to getting a picture taken from an outside vendor that we can buy... and Marriott probably gets a cut from those purchases. With both the Mauna Lani and this property a cat 7.... my guess is that this is not so compelling a redemption any more.

It's becoming hard to justify Hawaii Marriott stays when I can stay at a Hyatt as a diamond and get lounge access and waived resort fees (at least in Waikiki and Kauai.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
Just finished a 7 night reward stay here. They started charging plats for the resort fees even on reward stays in February. I guess in a twisted way there is no longer a need to give a discount to plats for internet since how everyone gets it. But hey the resort fee gives us access to getting a picture taken from an outside vendor that we can buy... and Marriott probably gets a cut from those purchases. With both the Mauna Lani and this property a cat 7.... my guess is that this is not so compelling a redemption any more.

It's becoming hard to justify Hawaii Marriott stays when I can stay at a Hyatt as a diamond and get lounge access and waived resort fees (at least in Waikiki and Kauai.
Yeah, definitely not an ideal place to use your rewards, considering the category and the fact you can get room rates in the low $100s. I was going to use my points and then just decided to pay with AAA rate. Ended up cancelling anyway Would've been there the same week as you! Will likely stay next spring break instead. How did you enjoy your stay?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I also 100% agree with this statement. 3 trips to the Big Island... much happier with HP vs MW.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by slpybear
I also 100% agree with this statement. 3 trips to the Big Island... much happier with HP vs MW.
I am sure it's a better hotel, but what I didn't like was the HP required an advance deposit of $475 when I was looking at prices. Not to mention room rates were ~$250, when the MW was ~$160. HP also charges for WiFi and local calls, unless you buy the 'Splash Pass' for $26 a day (which is a funky name for 'Resort Fee' in a hotel that advertises no resort fees).
Old May 5, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rumor on Insiders that this hotel is gong to close, renovate and reopen as an MVC.

Wild baseless rumor, or....?
Old May 5, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Rumor on Insiders that this hotel is gong to close, renovate and reopen as an MVC.

NO! I wanted to stay here next March! Can anyone confirm?

Edit: looks like someone on Insiders is going to check:
http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.../133244#133244
Old May 6, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal

Insiders says: "...confirmed that they are unaware of a Vacation Club property opening on the Big Island, and do therefore do not have an opening date."

But that just could mean they're being hush, hush! Who knows?! It would explain why perhaps they haven't done a remodel in a while, anyway!
Old May 6, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
According to the 70 new resorts thread over at TUG, during the Marriott Vacation Worldwide earnings call back in February, it was announced that around half the rooms (or a little less) will be converted to MVC units.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.