Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:33 am

Love those photos. We're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village and we took the shuttle to the Marriott yesterday and it was beautiful. The beach was lovely and the sunset was devine. Both resorts are worthy of your time!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by pokee
Love those photos. We're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village and we took the shuttle to the Marriott yesterday and it was beautiful. The beach was lovely and the sunset was devine. Both resorts are worthy of your time!
Thank you!
Speaking of sunsets. Here is one from the Marriott Waikoloa. Enjoy your time there.

Old May 22, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, Marriott
Renovations

Question:
Has anyone had any recent experience with the construction? I'll be there next month. I'm concerned about daytime noise.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:08 pm

just back last night

3 day stay, half the hotel is closed. Not much noise at all. the place is pretty dead. Pools are great, rocky beach. Was originally given a room with 2 beds after 2 hour wait, we complained and got 6266--very large room with king bed. Elevators are slow, carpeting needs replacing. All rooms will be renovated eventually floor by floor. Great turtle watching near Lava Lava Beach Club--walk to the left of A bay (also very good food there).
Old May 23, 2016, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by mudley
3 day stay, half the hotel is closed. Not much noise at all. the place is pretty dead. Pools are great, rocky beach. Was originally given a room with 2 beds after 2 hour wait, we complained and got 6266--very large room with king bed. Elevators are slow, carpeting needs replacing. All rooms will be renovated eventually floor by floor. Great turtle watching near Lava Lava Beach Club--walk to the left of A bay (also very good food there).
Thanks for the information. I was there last June and I also needed to switch rooms. If I keep my upcoming reservation, I'll be sure to update on the renovations. I like this property a bit better than the Hilton.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Avis PreferredPlus
Beware of upcoming construction

I've had two wonderful stays at this property over the past ten years. I was booked to return for a week this August and I started reading about the construction on several message boards. I checked the website. Nothing. I called central reservations. Nothing. I then called the front desk at the property and they told me that the construction will be limited to the south tower, which is what is under construction now. My spidey sense told me that something was wrong, so I messaged Marriott on Twitter and asked for the name of the GM. I called and he returned my call within an hour.

This is what I learned:
- The south tower renovation and conversion into MVC should be completed within 1-2 months.
- They are expecting permits for MORE work to be completed.
- The north tower (open guest rooms) will begin DEMOLITION and renovation starting the second week of August. The work will be quite intense and will begin at 8am and continue until 5pm each day. They expect the work to be completed by early December -- which is quite aggressive.
- After that, the exterior work will begin.

Unfortunately, he did little to offer me support in relocating and basically said that we'd be fine if we planned to be off property all day. Nice.
I called Marriott corporate and the best they could/would do is to get me a one category upgrade at the Mauna Kea and free tickets to the luau. No thanks. Only after prodding (and another lux hotel offering to match my rate) did they come back offering to upgrade me further to an ocean front room. Too late. For some reason they decided they needed to tell me that the hotel would bill corporate for the upgrade, but they would take care of it. It shouldn't be my problem.

Anyway, I would avoid this property for the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
For what its worth the Mauna Kea is a truly wonderful property. Significantly more expensive, however.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Their website mentions renovations will continue through May 2017. Any recent experiences regarding current conditions there?

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
OK surely this isn't correct. I'm on the Marriott Rewards site right now (i'm gold status), and I'm looking into booking a week at the Marriott Waikoloa in July (July 7 thru July 14). I've selected 2 adults, 2 kids (15 and 9), and I get a rate of around $240 / night (rate fluctuates a couple of times for that week). So I select the rate I want and it takes me to reservation details, where it shows a rate of $1939 for the week, but then an ADDITIONAL $1212 for taxes and fees. I click on the details of these taxes and fees, and Marriott wants to charge me a $90 / night EXTRA ADULT CHARGE?!?!??! HUH??? What's the rationale here for an extra adult charge? Surely this must be a mistake considering Marriott ALSO wants to charge me $30 / day for the ridiculous resort fee.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ajcopley
OK surely this isn't correct. I'm on the Marriott Rewards site right now (i'm gold status), and I'm looking into booking a week at the Marriott Waikoloa in July (July 7 thru July 14). I've selected 2 adults, 2 kids (15 and 9), and I get a rate of around $240 / night (rate fluctuates a couple of times for that week). So I select the rate I want and it takes me to reservation details, where it shows a rate of $1939 for the week, but then an ADDITIONAL $1212 for taxes and fees. I click on the details of these taxes and fees, and Marriott wants to charge me a $90 / night EXTRA ADULT CHARGE?!?!??! HUH??? What's the rationale here for an extra adult charge? Surely this must be a mistake considering Marriott ALSO wants to charge me $30 / day for the ridiculous resort fee.
Is there a difference in "room rate" between 1 adult and 2 adults? E.g. a lot of properties increase their rates if you change between 1 and 2 adults - this one might just keep the rate the same but impose the surcharge under 'taxes and fees'. This often happens if there's e.g. breakfast involved that obviously gets more expensive with an extra adult.

If both the rate increases AND they charge the extra adult surcharge then it's dumb though, I agree.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is there a difference in "room rate" between 1 adult and 2 adults? E.g. a lot of properties increase their rates if you change between 1 and 2 adults - this one might just keep the rate the same but impose the surcharge under 'taxes and fees'. This often happens if there's e.g. breakfast involved that obviously gets more expensive with an extra adult.

If both the rate increases AND they charge the extra adult surcharge then it's dumb though, I agree.

I changed it to 1 adult, 2 children. Even stupider now. Nightly room rate remains the same (and as far as I know, there's no free anything at this hotel included in the cheapest rate -- no free breakfast, no nothing). So when I change to only one adult in the room Marriott still wants to charge the "extra adult fee", but this time it's halved -- $45 / night "extra adult" fee. Something isn't right. Sounds like you only get the advertised ROOM rate if NO adults are staying in that room and it's only kids under 18. Cuz yeah....that makes sense . But as soon as you add an adult to the reservation, they want to tack on an additional $45 / adult. HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ajcopley
I changed it to 1 adult, 2 children. Even stupider now. Nightly room rate remains the same (and as far as I know, there's no free anything at this hotel included in the cheapest rate -- no free breakfast, no nothing). So when I change to only one adult in the room Marriott still wants to charge the "extra adult fee", but this time it's halved -- $45 / night "extra adult" fee. Something isn't right. Sounds like you only get the advertised ROOM rate if NO adults are staying in that room and it's only kids under 18. Cuz yeah....that makes sense . But as soon as you add an adult to the reservation, they want to tack on an additional $45 / adult. HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?
It just sounds to me like they somehow determined that the "extra adult charge" is actually just an "adult amenity charge" that they're trying to hide from the room rate to advertise lower prices. Really weird. My girlfriend&me stayed at this property... two years ago and there definitely was no such charge.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It just sounds to me like they somehow determined that the "extra adult charge" is actually just an "adult amenity charge" that they're trying to hide from the room rate to advertise lower prices. Really weird. My girlfriend&me stayed at this property... two years ago and there definitely was no such charge.
A call to the front desk is certainly in order here. No way would I pay any sort of "adult fee" ON TOP OF the resort fee that they're ALSO tacking on to this rate. I will gladly pay LESS and stay at the Hilton next door.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
You need to call. The website says "Extra adult charge (children may be exempted)". The website is assuming that all occupants of the room will be charged the adult rate. If you have more than 2 adults in the room they charge extra for each adult. You need to ask the hotel whether there will be any extra charge for your children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.