Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good location, stingy on elite benefits

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

1 Review | 100% Recommended

69-275 Waikoloa Beach Dr Waikoloa, HI US 96738

Good location, stingy on elite benefits (30 Photos)

Normally when visiting the Big Island my last few trips I have always stayed at the Courtyard Kona property.  However since the pandemic, prices in the whole of HI has gone crazy when it comes to hotel and I was not prepared to pay those prices - so on this trip I stayed mainly on Hilo side and decided to do a 1 night/day trip to this side (just to get some better weather/sun) - I had wanted to in the end extend this to 2 nights, but due to a package I needed to collect, I needed to head back to Hilo.  I booked this property on points (the paying rate was like close to $400 per night.).

This property is located in the resort area of Waikoloa - so basically it's just within sort of specialized resort area - filled with other hotels and open air mall.  Opposite this property is the open air shopping mall with lots of shops and F&B outlet.  Towards the beach, there is a nice historical King's Fishpond site.  From the area, it is about 20 mins drive to downtown Kona (depending on traffic).  Parking onsite at the property is chargeable - I parked further down the street in one of the common parking lots which at least seems complimentary and the car was not towed away (there was no such sign/noticed in the first place) since I left it overnight. 

Check In

I did not bother this time to do any online check-in.  Arrived at the resort around 2 pm to a rather quiet front desk.  I was helped immediately by a friendly associate.  As a LTT, I did ask about an upgraded room, but was told that they could only upgrade me 1 level to a partial oceanview room.  I was also given a run down of other benefits at the property - which included sadly the atrocious resort fee (even on points booking) and my option of my other elite benefit - breakfast or credit - which I went for the credit ($10 per guest/day, in total a $20 credit for use) - since as usual continental breakfast would be of low quality - another property with pathetic elite benefits which has gotten worst since the program was Bonvoy'ed.  In addition, I was also given a gift (not sure based on what reason, being an elite or part of the resort fee amenity) a property branded reusable water bottle.

I had quite an interesting discussion with the associate on this subject of how things have gone downhill for loyal guests, etc.  

IMG_20211119_143904434_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_143908730.jpg

Room

The room was located on the 5th floor of the hotel.  Room size was ok and well furnished/decorated.  It did have the resort/holiday feel to it, and from the looks, the property was well maintained and even seemed slightly refreshed.  

IMG_20211119_145036869.jpg

IMG_20211119_145105538.jpg

IMG_20211119_145724216.jpg

There was the usual tea/coffee making facilites and the minibar was not stocked.  Other than that, there were sufficient electrical outlets including some USB outlets for charging around the bed area.  Climate control in the room was good, with minimal noise coming from the unit at low speed. Internet was good and if I remember correctly, as an Elite member, i could select the premium internet without additional charges.  What I found interesting (and more hotels should follow) is that there is the possibility to stream your own device to the TV.  Outside of that it was the usual TV channels.

IMG_20211119_145102350.jpg

IMG_20211119_145130933.jpg

IMG_20211119_145134191.jpg

The bathroom size was large and furnished appropriately.  It was the modern type where you have also the view of the room if desired from the shower area.  

IMG_20211119_150039316.jpg

IMG_20211119_150044634.jpg

The room came with a small balcony (all rooms at the property has a balcony) with 2 chairs.  Sleep quality was good - with minimal noise from both exterior and interior.  Bed quality was good - and expected from a Marriott.  

IMG_20211119_145047134_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_150512244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_150515087_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_175921720.jpg

IMG_20211119_181516888.jpg

Pool

The hotel has 3 (or 4) pools (depending on how you view them) - and during my visit, although busy, we were still able to find some deck chairs.  Although I can imagine if I had visited the pool area at a busier time, it would have been impossible.  There is a notice stating that if deck chairs are not in used for > 30 mins towels will be removed - however not sure how this is implemented since if someone leaves their personal belong and not come back in 30 mins, I doubt anyone would clear the chair nor how they would monitor who has been away for 30 mins.  

IMG_20211119_162503941_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_191043158.jpg

Anyways, for hotel guests, you do get a wristband - just to make sure that those using the facilities are from the hotel.  This seems to be distributed during the earlier part of the day.  There's also 3 different area for the hottub/jacuzzi area.  There is also a waterslide - opens from 10am -5pm -with a lifeguard/minder (to ensure only 1 person uses the slide each time).  Water temperature was just sufficient.   

There were also cabana's for rent.  I believe it was like $50 per day.

Bar

There is a bar area close to the pool area, spend my resort credit here.  Prices were reasonable - with happy hours running from 2-5pm.  Now with prices outside on the higher side, the prices at hotels seems to be quite reasonable.   Service level was also good.  

IMG_20211119_152105968.jpg

There was also another bar area, 1 level above (same level as the lobby) - which had a very nice vibe to it especially in the evening - lounging before or after dinner.  I used my resort fee drinks coupon here.  Service was also good and friendly.

IMG_20211119_182002892.jpg

IMG_20211119_182329271.jpg

IMG_20211119_182333880.jpg

IMG_20211119_191037006.jpg

Beach

The beach area is accessible via the pool area.  The hotel does provide their own deck chairs at the beach area for those preferring to lounge on the real beach instead of the pool.  The ocean water temperature was also ok - slightly colder compared to the pools.  During my visit, the water was quite calm so it was swimable if desired in the ocean instead of the pool.  

IMG_20211119_174130396_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_174441813.jpg

IMG_20211119_151728350_HDR.jpg

Overall

All in all, I was happy with this 1 night stay - as what would have been expected from Marriott.  Only dissapointing point is the benefits for elite members.   As from value point of view - at least at the level of asking price level, it was quite poor value (but this is the case for all other properties in the vicinity).  

If I were to return to the area, I will certainly consider coming back to this property.

IMG_20211119_151723986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_151739709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_151842744_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211119_191133772.jpg

IMG_20211119_191220696.jpg

Good location, stingy on elite benefits

Would you like to write a review on the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Horace, jona970318 and msp3 like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Recent 5 night stay, redeemed SNAs for a Na Hale Oceanfront 1 Bedroom Suite for 2 adults and 2 kids. Kitchenette was perfect quick lunch meals around the resort for pool days. Heard larger Na Hale Building Suites have in room laundry. Although we didn’t use it has a nice outdoor BBQ area. Kids loved the pool and water slide. The continental elite breakfast was yogurt, pastries, fruit, coffee/juice (vouchers were only good for 2 ppl). Coffee shop in lobby had a good cup of 100% Kona for $5 but closed very early 11AM. The sunset luau was great entertainment/food. Although we did not sit through it, the timeshare pitch offered free tix for 2 adults to the luau. No issues with rental cars, was upgraded to a minivan from standard size for platinum status at KOA. Found Tommy Bahama to be a great casual meal for good value close by.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So my wife and I stayed there for 5 nights and it was a very positive stay. Compared to the Westin, Hapuna Beach is a nicer property and beach, however, much more expensive. This is def a good alternative for people looking to spend less points/cash. The restaurant on site isn't the best, but can easily be avoid. There are plenty of food options within walking distance.
For those who want a good, inexpensive meal, walk to the Aloha Wine Bar. Cheap wine and good food await you there. Plus the service is awesome.
Also, check out a Happy Hour. Usually Happy Hours only go till 5 on the island, but I don't mind an early dinner and Mai Tai. The Bistro at Waikoloa Luxury Cinemas provided one of the best $7 Mai Tais you can get.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NationalChamps2015
So my wife and I stayed there for 5 nights and it was a very positive stay. Compared to the Westin, Hapuna Beach is a nicer property and beach, however, much more expensive. This is def a good alternative for people looking to spend less points/cash. The restaurant on site isn't the best, but can easily be avoid. There are plenty of food options within walking distance.
For those who want a good, inexpensive meal, walk to the Aloha Wine Bar. Cheap wine and good food await you there. Plus the service is awesome.
Also, check out a Happy Hour. Usually Happy Hours only go till 5 on the island, but I don't mind an early dinner and Mai Tai. The Bistro at Waikoloa Luxury Cinemas provided one of the best $7 Mai Tais you can get.
There's also the Lava Lava Beach Club within walking distance through a footpath from the Hotel. However they're currently closed until October for renovations which should see their footprint increased which is a positive since the beach views are lovely.

Personally I think the Mauna Kea beach is more nicer than Hapuna.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:02 pm

Finished a stay in the big Island of Hawaii, staying at the Hilton and the Marriott a few minutes away at waikoloa beach for 7 nights, and travel companions staying for 5 nights

Marriott was anywhere from 43k to 63k per night, within range of 2x 35k and 5x 50k certs with topup, 30 bucks parking and 30 bucks resort fee daily plus taxes. Was in the middle of a convention, walk up public rates were around 800-900, convention room rates were around 250-350 but fully booked

Elite breakfast is complimentary continental breakfast buffet (standard continental plus one hot meat of the day, had Portugese sausage for 2 days and maple links for 5 days). 12 bucks per person to upgrade to full buffet (did not buy, included eggs benny, omelette station, scrambled eggs, 2 meats, cooked rice and maybe miso soup), kids buffet pricing applies for 6 to 12 year olds and was 18 for continental or 26 for full, or $14 for a la carte Keiki meals which were really small portions (French toast was 2 pieces of bread stacked on top of each other with some berries). Adult continental is $28 per person, full buffet is $42. No room upgrade provided for brilliant platinum nor the other traveling party's titanium status

Agents well versed in using Marriott giftcards so liquidated a lot of old GCs

Westin Hapuna Beach started at 68k and went as high as 76k, did not stay

Mauna kea autograph collection was flat 100k per night, did not stay

Long story short, the Hilton is a much bigger property and had much bigger pools and water slides/activities. For the points being asked, the Hilton was a better deal at 70k Hilton per night vs the 63k Marriott that the bulk of our stay happened to be at. Room at the Hilton was also larger than the base room at the Marriott.

Last edited by crimsona; Jan 16, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by crimsona
the Hilton is a much bigger property and had much bigger pools and water slides/activities. For the points being asked, the Hilton was a better deal at 70k Hilton per night vs the 63k Marriott that the bulk of our stay happened to be at. Room at the Hilton was also larger than the base room at the Marriott.
Did Hilton waive resort fees for using Honors points?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Did Hilton waive resort fees for using Honors points?
Yes, that's a standard feature of the Hilton program. I think normal resort fee at the Hilton Waikoloa is $45 a night (not sure if before or after taxes)

Parking was $44 after taxes at the Hilton compared to around $32 after taxes for the Marriott Waikoloa
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Had a nice stay here last week. Still think that cash rates are ridiculous for what it is, but that can be said about most places in Hawaii these days.

I was hoping for my SNAs to clear into the Hale building, but when they hadn't two days before arrival, I changed my selections and cleared into a one-bedroom resort view suite. There oddly aren't good pictures of the room itself on the website, but this is a true one bedroom suite with an entrance hallway, a powder room off the living room, and then a somewhat oddly shaped bathroom off the bedroom that has a double vanity and large walk in shower in the first section of the bathroom, and then a toilet and bathtub in a second section that can be closed off with a door. There is a terrace or balcony off each of the living room and the bedroom. These suites are located at the end of the building (closest to the ocean) and are on the first and I believe second floors-- the ones on higher floors would be categorized as one-bedroom ocean front suites. The view from my first floor room was surprisingly not bad (when I see "resort view" I usually anticipate a parking lot view)-- no view of the parking lot, and what you see is the landscaping of the resort with a sliver of ocean in the back. The location is very convenient to the pool deck and the hotel restaurant, and yet despite its proximity, there was no noise from the pool deck audible inside.

Was surprised to be offered a welcome amenity of 1,000 points or $10 F&B credit in addition to breakfast, since this is a resort, but the points posted. It's $14 to upgrade from the "continental" buffet to the hotel buffet, but as others have mentioned, the continental is very extensive and I don't think most people will feel the need to upgrade. In addition to the expected offerings of pastries, breakfast and regular breads, oatmeal, fruit and yogurt, it also included pancakes, waffles and french toast; cold cuts and cheese; hard boiled eggs; and a rotating hot sausage dish each morning. It was actually quite impressive for a "continental" buffet in the US.

The resort is pretty small, but for what I was looking for, I like that. Breakfast was never too crazy and I appreciated the short walk from the parking lot to my room.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dw
Had a nice stay here last week. Still think that cash rates are ridiculous for what it is, but that can be said about most places in Hawaii these days.

I was hoping for my SNAs to clear into the Hale building, but when they hadn't two days before arrival, I changed my selections and cleared into a one-bedroom resort view suite. There oddly aren't good pictures of the room itself on the website, but this is a true one bedroom suite with an entrance hallway, a powder room off the living room, and then a somewhat oddly shaped bathroom off the bedroom that has a double vanity and large walk in shower in the first section of the bathroom, and then a toilet and bathtub in a second section that can be closed off with a door. There is a terrace or balcony off each of the living room and the bedroom. These suites are located at the end of the building (closest to the ocean) and are on the first and I believe second floors-- the ones on higher floors would be categorized as one-bedroom ocean front suites. The view from my first floor room was surprisingly not bad (when I see "resort view" I usually anticipate a parking lot view)-- no view of the parking lot, and what you see is the landscaping of the resort with a sliver of ocean in the back. The location is very convenient to the pool deck and the hotel restaurant, and yet despite its proximity, there was no noise from the pool deck audible inside.

Was surprised to be offered a welcome amenity of 1,000 points or $10 F&B credit in addition to breakfast, since this is a resort, but the points posted. It's $14 to upgrade from the "continental" buffet to the hotel buffet, but as others have mentioned, the continental is very extensive and I don't think most people will feel the need to upgrade. In addition to the expected offerings of pastries, breakfast and regular breads, oatmeal, fruit and yogurt, it also included pancakes, waffles and french toast; cold cuts and cheese; hard boiled eggs; and a rotating hot sausage dish each morning. It was actually quite impressive for a "continental" buffet in the US.

The resort is pretty small, but for what I was looking for, I like that. Breakfast was never too crazy and I appreciated the short walk from the parking lot to my room.
Sounds like a nice stay. Yeah walking from car to room is short. Walking from room to beach/ocean is a pain.

David
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: United 1K | Marriott Titanium, LT Platinum
going to Big Island for spring break in 2 weeks. deciding bet this and Courtyard in Kona. I have 2 kids, 10 and 12 years old. breakfast buffet is a major plus (for my kids). trying to see which one I should stay at.
I have booked both using points. Marriott is 80K more points. so trying to decide which is a better deal for the money/points.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am at this hotel right now on a bit of a stay-cation. So far, not impressed at all. We waited until 5pm and our room still wasn't ready. I asked when it would be and they had no idea, no ETA. We saw many others at the front desk complaining, some quite heatedly, about the same thing; room not ready long after 4:00pm. We have plans at 6:00pm so finally took whatever they had ready which is a pretty crappy room on the ground floor.

Since we had two hours to kill while we were waiting for our room, we walked around a lot. Again, not very impressed and a long walk to the "beach". They are holding firm on a 1pm checkout because "an Ambassador is coming in tomorrow". I doubt it, not to this crappy room, but if it is true, I doubt s/he is going to be too happy. We are moving to the Courtyard King Kamehameha tomorrow and I am very glad we are. I won't be back.

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 2, 2023 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I am at this hotel right now on a bit of a stay-cation. So far, not impressed at all. We waited until 5pm and our room still wasn't ready. I asked when it would be and they had no idea, no ETA. We saw many others at the front desk complaining, some quite heatedly, about the same thing; room not ready long after 4:00pm. We have plans at 6:00pm so finally took whatever they had ready which is a pretty crappy room on the ground floor.

Since we had two hours to kill while we were waiting for our room, we walked around a lot. Again, not very impressed and a long walk to the "beach". They are holding firm on a 1pm checkout because "an Ambassador is coming in tomorrow". I doubt it, not to this crappy room, but if it is true, I doubt s/he is going to be too happy. We are moving to the Courtyard King Kamehameha tomorrow and I am very glad we are. I won't be back.
Why the quotation on "beach"? Is it not a real beach?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by wahoyaho
Why the quotation on "beach"? Is it not a real beach?
Pretty poor excuse for a beach. I am not here for the beach but if I was, what a disappointment. Go to the Mauna Kea instead. We just got back around 9:30pm and I stopped in at the store, which is open until 10pm. Or so the sign said. Locked up tight. I asked at the front desk and they shrugged and said sorry, it's supposed to still be open. Definitely not a good experience.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:31 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sevusal
going to Big Island for spring break in 2 weeks. deciding bet this and Courtyard in Kona. I have 2 kids, 10 and 12 years old. breakfast buffet is a major plus (for my kids). trying to see which one I should stay at.
I have booked both using points. Marriott is 80K more points. so trying to decide which is a better deal for the money/points.
They're going to be very different experiences. The Marriott is more of a "resort" with multiple pools and more grounds. But the only things within walking distance are two malls (which each have restaurants) and a beach club. The Courtyard is in the town of Kailua and there is a lot more within walking distance. While the hotel is on the beach, the beach is very small, and it would be a stretch to call it a resort. (Not that the beach at the Marriott is very good either, unfortunately.)
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dw
They're going to be very different experiences. The Marriott is more of a "resort" with multiple pools and more grounds. But the only things within walking distance are two malls (which each have restaurants) and a beach club. The Courtyard is in the town of Kailua and there is a lot more within walking distance. While the hotel is on the beach, the beach is very small, and it would be a stretch to call it a resort. (Not that the beach at the Marriott is very good either, unfortunately.)
The beach at the Marriott is definitely better than the beach at the CY though. But it's not an amazing beach, agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.