Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Just checked in - initial impression

First impression (aka FP999's misguided and ill-informed 20 second judgement):

Great Platinum recognition, fantastic staff, tranquil location, construction was a rush job, rooms lack acoustic privacy, quality of food delivered via room service is poor.

More detail and perhaps retractions / corrections when I have spent a few nights here.

Anyone have any questions about the status quo at this property right now you can PM me and I will check things out.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:18 am

Final verdict: Not recommended.... yet

My two night stay is complete.

The verdict: Not recommended.

Pros:

1) Beautiful view, especially at the bar during cocktail hour when you have beautiful sunset and as Plat you get free bar 6pm-7pm.

2) Being new, they use the RFID type room keys rather than magnetic strip. Magnetic key-cards can be cloned and always get wiped if I carry it in my pocket near my Blackberry (prone to magnetic interference)

3) Good quality F&B, this goes for the breakfast buffet as well as in-room dining orders but there are issues with in-room dining (see below)

Cons:

1) Zero acoustic privacy in the rooms. I have to move from my original Discovery Suite because the door seems to be made of cardboard and I can hear DING DONG every 5 minutes when someone uses the lift which is 5 meters from my door. Second room, an Elevation Suite, every time people on the floor above me use their plumbing, I can hear like a waterfall in my bathroom plus you can hear their TV and their foot steps. Flimsy construction.

2) Beach: The ocean looks dirty at all times. It's brown due to location and currents.

3) Male housekeeping and engineering staff wear some kind of back support harness over their uniform. Seems management mandated this and they don't really want to use it because they always run around the place with the velcro undone. In the heat, this causes body odor. Every single person who serviced my room and was wearing this thing had a strong body odor.

4) In-Room Dining: Deliver drinks without ice and depending on what you order, the food will come cold and soggy because the resort is on very steep terrain. Any time someone services your room they have to come by Club Cart. If you order an Indian curry or a pizza that won't be an issue but if you order a burger with fries or sushi, the food will not be in good shape after sitting covered in plastic for 10 minutes between leaving the kitchen and getting to your room.

5) Mosquitoes. They don't treat the area for mosquitoes and perhaps they will never be able to due to terrain. House keeping don't spray your room. So despite never having opened a door or window there were dozens of mozzies stalking me all night. I had to cover myself in repellant to get some sleep.

6) Taxi mafia issues were evident. I can confirm that what seanthepilot and others have discussed earlier on in this thread is accurate.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
1) Zero acoustic privacy in the rooms. I have to move from my original Discovery Suite because the door seems to be made of cardboard and I can hear DING DONG every 5 minutes when someone uses the lift which is 5 meters from my door. Second room, an Elevation Suite, every time people on the floor above me use their plumbing, I can hear like a waterfall in my bathroom plus you can hear their TV and their foot steps. Flimsy construction.
Has anyone had this issue with a sala pool villa?

The single biggest issue for me is noise from adjoining rooms, e.g. hearing walking/footsteps above my head.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by gleff

The single biggest issue for me is noise from adjoining rooms, e.g. hearing walking/footsteps above my head.
The Sala villas I walked past looked like isolated buildings. No adjoining walls. Didn't see a floor plan or set foot in one but from what it looks like when you walk past is that they're small free-standing buildings so they're probably less likely to be susceptible to noise issues.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:34 pm

How bad is the beach/ocean, really?

We currently have reservations to stay the last week of December here. I'm getting skittish by all the negative reviews about the beach/ocean. I think I can handle muddy, but is it dirty looking? e.g. a bunch of industrial barges in the background and trash in the ocean?

Is there anyone playing in the water? What color is the sand?

Am thinking of switching my rez to Le Meridian Phuket as folks seem to rave about the beach there. . . .
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:15 am

Hi sfgirl I was up there last month and took some photos with my Blackberry so the quality isn't that hot. And I didn't' venture down the the beach so my shots were all taken from a bit of altitude but you get a bit of an idea about the beach in this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/codeamber/5193871411/

You can see it's not a working harbour by any stretch. A far cry from Kowloon Bay

During happy hour you would be on the verandah of the lobby bar and have spectacular views such as this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/codeamber/5193872947/
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
My two night stay is complete.

The verdict: Not recommended.

Pros:

1) Beautiful view, especially at the bar during cocktail hour when you have beautiful sunset and as Plat you get free bar 6pm-7pm.

2) Being new, they use the RFID type room keys rather than magnetic strip. Magnetic key-cards can be cloned and always get wiped if I carry it in my pocket near my Blackberry (prone to magnetic interference)

3) Good quality F&B, this goes for the breakfast buffet as well as in-room dining orders but there are issues with in-room dining (see below)

Cons:

2) Beach: The ocean looks dirty at all times. It's brown due to location and currents.

3) Male housekeeping and engineering staff wear some kind of back support harness over their uniform. Seems management mandated this and they don't really want to use it because they always run around the place with the velcro undone. In the heat, this causes body odor. Every single person who serviced my room and was wearing this thing had a strong body odor.

4) In-Room Dining: Deliver drinks without ice and depending on what you order, the food will come cold and soggy because the resort is on very steep terrain. Any time someone services your room they have to come by Club Cart. If you order an Indian curry or a pizza that won't be an issue but if you order a burger with fries or sushi, the food will not be in good shape after sitting covered in plastic for 10 minutes between leaving the kitchen and getting to your room.

5) Mosquitoes. They don't treat the area for mosquitoes and perhaps they will never be able to due to terrain. House keeping don't spray your room. So despite never having opened a door or window there were dozens of mozzies stalking me all night. I had to cover myself in repellant to get some sleep.

6) Taxi mafia issues were evident. I can confirm that what seanthepilot and others have discussed earlier on in this thread is accurate.
Many thanks for your report. Especially due to your "noise" reporting I will step away to book this location. I know that I have huge problems with that.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by fred8ab
Many thanks for your report. Especially due to your "noise" reporting I will step away to book this location. I know that I have huge problems with that.
Mind you that probably wouldn't be applicable in a villa. I was in a suite in a block with normal units and suites. A villa may not be effected by this.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:35 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
For 11,500 THB per night using SPG50, I'm happy to stay here in a One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa, which will overcome any noise issues.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gleff

Completed a 2 night stays and there was no issue in the sala pool villa.
The room felt very private, so noise was basically no issue.

Overall impression of the resort, nice location.
Service was not at his best. A TVIP was arriving on the 28th November evening, apparently the Minister for tourism. The official opening date apparently is today (nov 29th).

Check-in was adequate but they forgot to extend the keys to 1600 despite asking me at what time we would be checking out.

I liked the splash pool at the top of the hill and it felt very deserted. Food at EEST was far from fantastic, rather bland and uninteresting. The breakfast was far from professional. It seems there were 2 incentive groups in the hotel on Sunday morning and it was complete mayhem. Short of staff, no coordination, tabled not cleared fast enough. It would have been great to see the management on the ball on this one and helping out but customers were left to fend for themselves with the poor foot soldier.

So overall, it is a nice resort but probably targeted to the MICE sector. The view from the Laguna and overall experience is completely different and unless I need a mattress run on Phuket Island, I think this will not be my top choice.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:11 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I am checking in tomorrow and am already unimpressed. I booked 6 Mercedes transfers in August at 3,500 THB return each. I emailed to reconfirm, and was emailed "there is a mistake with the price."

Despite several emails discussing the transfers the hotel has simply increased the price. I emailed them back telling them I expect them to honour the original rate.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
If it is the travel desk that handles the transfers, expect the worst. This is a very bad contracted travel agency; rude and inefficient.
The hotel staff at the desk is nice, though.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am checking in tomorrow and am already unimpressed. I booked 6 Mercedes transfers in August at 3,500 THB return each. I emailed to reconfirm, and was emailed "there is a mistake with the price."

Despite several emails discussing the transfers the hotel has simply increased the price. I emailed them back telling them I expect them to honour the original rate.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
If it is the travel desk that handles the transfers, expect the worst. This is a very bad contracted travel agency; rude and inefficient.
The hotel staff at the desk is nice, though.
I've booked no less than 6 transfers in advance dealing with the sales/reservations staff at the hotel.

They have honoured the original rate. CC'ing Starwood Corporate Care probably helped.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I've booked no less than 6 transfers in advance dealing with the sales/reservations staff at the hotel.

They have honoured the original rate. CC'ing Starwood Corporate Care probably helped.
3500 baht per transfer from Phuket Airport to this property (a 15 minute affair). Hmm.

I can get a BMW 750 from BKK airport to downtown from AOT for that about that amount and that's a 45 minute trip.

Sheraton Pattaya can drive you to BKK in an S Class for 5k.

This price they are charging you seems a bit high as it is. What kind of "error" rate did they try to throw at you ?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:43 am

Is it 15 or 45 mins from the airport? The website states 45? Google Maps says 49 minutes?

They were attempting to charge 1000THB more, but that wasn't the point. I took issue with the change of price after having several written confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.