Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Until management sees the light and gets this fixed I will avoid this property.

They have to know people who come to HKT are not ignorant and don't enjoy paying 1000bht for a 400 bht ride.

It comes from the top and I'll give this place a pass.
Fully agree.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I can't find Thailand on the Sixt website. I imagine on day tours such as boat trips tour operators will pick you up from yout hotel?
They used to be next to Budget outside of Phuket airport. I rented from them a few years ago, so may be gone now. Last year, however, I rented from Budget. Their office is across the street from the airport, but they will pick you up if you give them your flight info or call.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:15 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Westin Siray Bay concedes to local taxi mafia

So the hotel signed with the taxi "co-op" that their cars, and those of Hello Phuket will be the only ones allowed on the property.

I hope the Westin realizes that having a "no blockade" agreement will mean nothing to them in any dispute. The blockade tactic willl be employed if the taxis have unresolved complaints. It's in their blood.

...taxi drivers co-operative will be allowed to operate a stand just outside the Westin Siray Bay Resort in Phuket, but only under certain conditions

"During that meeting, the hotel representatives agreed to let the co-op operate a stand at the resort, but only if they promised not to stage protests, block Hello Phuket vehicles from accessing the resort or cause any other disturbances to resort operations.

The Westin Siray Bay Resort in return agreed not to allow in any other taxi operators, except for Hello Phuket.

Other conditions agreed to by the co-op were that the stand will be operated by a single English-speaking representative from 9am to 9pm."
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:21 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
So what happens if guests book their own cars with driver or a rival company?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:52 am

So what happens if guests book their own cars with driver or a rival company?
That's the question that may make or break whether people stay here or not.

I hope the hotel sees your question and posts a reply here. <hint, hint>

I would like to know the prices too, if possible.???

Last edited by seanthepilot; Oct 20, 2010 at 4:01 am
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:09 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
That's the question that may make or break whether people stay here or not.

I hope the hotel sees your question and posts a reply here. <hint, hint>

I would like to know the prices too, if possible.???
To be frank, they don't have a choice. I've booked a Chauffeured Mercedes to take us to the boat trips we have booked, and for some private tours. Should the Westin deny them entry, I would escalate the issue to Starwood corporate.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:23 am

To be frank, they don't have a choice. I've booked a Chauffeured Mercedes to take us to the boat trips we have booked, and for some private tours. Should the Westin deny them entry, I would escalate the issue to Starwood corporate.
It won't help if the taxis block your vehicle from entering or picking you up. This is the real issue here. The agreement isn't worth the paper its written on if the hotel has no recourse. The press release said that the hotel would allow its co-op cars and Hello Phukets vehicles for a promise not to blockade. This doesn't prevent them from blockading your, mine, or anyone else's transportation, if they so desire.

However, until we get an official stance, everything is speculation only.

An official statement from the Hotel or SPG would be appreciated! ^

Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:59 am

It won't help if the taxis block your vehicle from entering or picking you up. This is the real issue here. The agreement isn't worth the paper its written on if the hotel has no recourse. The press release said that the hotel would allow its co-op cars and Hello Phukets vehicles for a promise not to blockade. This doesn't prevent them from blockading your, mine, or anyone else's transportation, if they so desire.

However, until we get an official stance, everything is speculation only.

Have we contacted SPG for a response? Perhaps we could draft a letter on here for others to customise and send on to Platinum Liaison or Corporate Care?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Have we contacted SPG for a response? Perhaps we could draft a letter on here for others to customise and send on to Platinum Liaison or Corporate Care?
This has nothing to do with SPG. This is a Starwood Corporate issue. However, I fail to see what there is to contact them about until someone actually experiences an issue.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
This has nothing to do with SPG. This is a Starwood Corporate issue. However, I fail to see what there is to contact them about until someone actually experiences an issue.
As a PLAT wouldn't you contact SPG in the first instance in regard to an upcoming reservation and ask for clarification regarding the situation because you have booked your own transport? I think it's a reasonable for a future guest to question what the policy is, given that it's reported in the press.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
As a PLAT wouldn't you contact SPG in the first instance in regard to an upcoming reservation and ask for clarification regarding the situation because you have booked your own transport? I think it's a reasonable for a future guest to question what the policy is, given that it's reported in the press.
Regardless of my status, SPG is a loyalty program whereas Starwood is the entity that would have some say and responsibility over this. If I have a problem with the restaurant in the hotel I'll either call the restaurant/F&B manager or the GM of the hotel. I wouldn't call the reservation department or the person in charge of ensuring guests get their starpoints.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:55 am
Suspended

I believe the "restrictions" only apply to meter taxis, tuks-tuks etc which are in direct competition with the local taxis. "Limo" service is a totally different league, and I am sure there is also such a service based in the resort itself.

At the very worst, you can always get the resort management to provide a buggy service down to the entrance if the taxi mafia managed to block your car from entering .....

BTW this is not a SPG issue, more of a local issue.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:56 am

Worth spending my Honeymoon over New Year's here?

Hi Guys,
What a great informative thread. Congratulations to all of you for making this such a good one.
I'm planning to come to Westin over new year's to celebrate my honeymoon, but somehow, just unable to be fully satisfied so need your help.
Can anyone comment on the state of the hotel now? Does it really look/feel and behave like a Starwood property? Or atleast will it be ready in time for new year's? Any guesses or comments by those who have been there recently?

Strangely, my agency here has said that Westin is not doing any Gala Dinner over new year's (kindof strange for a 5 star propertly). While this could be good news as I can look around for a party that suits the settings I want; somehow it gives me a strange feeling about the property too, that its not ready yet.

Finally, can anyone please tell me if Superior Sea View rooms / Deluxe rooms have a good Jacuzzi in them??
Can't afford better than those right now (eevrything else comes at over 15K bhat a night), but so much want a good jacuzzi in the room. Not really the pool though.

I really appreciate all the help and advice of you all !
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by coolestChip
Hi Guys,

Can't afford better than those right now (eevrything else comes at over 15K bhat a night), but so much want a good jacuzzi in the room. Not really the pool though.

I really appreciate all the help and advice of you all !
If you have 1,000 points use SPG50. Was able to get the One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa for 11,500 THB per night.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:58 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
The property has been notified about your comments regarding this issue. I would leave it to them to decide if they would be addressing this officially.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.