Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
While I can't comment on all the questions above, I hope to in the next couple days.

1. i was picked up in a camry and booked it with the hotel ahead of time, 1,000 baths. Not sure what a mercedes runs but obviously more. The charge appears on my bill and I signed a form upon checkin to reflect this as I know they 3rd party this service.

2. Breakfast this morning was actually pretty good. It is from 6-10:30 in seasonal taste restaurant. They have a noodle station, omelet or cook to order eggs station, waffles/pancakes stations with 12 or so toppings you can apply, smoothies made to order (although these were served somewhat warm as they didn't add ice), and an energy food station which highlights all the westin energy foods you see in their room service menu. The odd item was ice cream. There were 12 flavors you could have hand scooped by the waffle/pancake station, interesting and welcomed by several guests as I witnessed.

3. The showers have a drainage problem because of the engineering of the filter in the drain doesn't allow enough water to pass through without the basin filling up slowly but surely. I had to call maintenance and this is something they will hopefully resolve in the future.

4. The spa presently is open and has 20% discount on all services. Basically this amounts to no tax being charged as there is a 18.7% service charge/vat added to all charges anyway. You get a choice of a some chocolates or 30 minute massage to choose as an additional platinum amenity. I will sample the massage and spa tomorrow.

5. The room service takes a while longer than expected since they have to golf cart everything and hand carry your trays to your room. Not more than 10 minutes more than normal at a conventional hotel however.

6. The wifi in my room is slow in the indulge suite. I'm getting 1 mb download speed and 3 upload which is strange. Today watching my slingbox I was constantly getting 300-500 kb thus not good.

7. They have a free shuttle into downtown phuket (15 minutes each way) 3 times a day at certain intervals and a return the same. I can't remember the hours but this is a nice touch as the resort is secluded.

8. The resort is still not fully open with the other 1/3 or so to be worked on for the next couple months. Spago restaurant and another pool in addition to 1/3 of the rooms I believe are not functioning yet.

A couple observations to note. The couch in the living room is very uncomfortable with the back actually angled forward. Thus to sit and watch TV is not relaxing posture wise.

The sunset is really magnificent, sets over the mountain and the evening reds/oranges were really picturesque.^

Last edited by schley; Sep 13, 2010 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:03 am

Ok here are some musings on the property.

1. The beach is about 250-300 years long and is about 25 years wide and is sand, with the far edges having some rocks but no reason to explore there. They have beach chairs, umbrellas, volleyball nets and soccer goals set up along with a kayak you can take out. The water isn't clear but it is not rough at all, very calm.

2. I asked about transfer to LM Phuket and was told that they don't feel that is necessary and i would agree. The water isn't like mud, but certainly far from being clear.

3. The gym is open but most will be underwhelmed. They have 4 treadmills a bench press/lat pulldown machine, many dumbells and some benches. Although the treadmills do overlook the bay as does everything at this property.

4. Met the hotel manager Sean today, an Australian who came from Singapore SGP corporate. Very pleasant guy while enjoying a great sunset.

5. Tried out the spa today and was blown away. Tremendous service and facility IMO. Keep in mind they have 20% off all treatments now. I had an 80 minute deep tissue with Sai, who is a small Thai lady who was spectacular. The rooms have their own private bathroom, steam, jacuzzi in them. Really a great facility.

6. Can they possibly get any more water features at this hotel? I mean everywhere there are huge water fountains, water walls, all over. Great ambiance.

7. A downside to this property is that although everything is a bay view and I do mean everything, you need a golf cart ride to get anywhere, unless you are looking for some strenuous exercise. Sometimes this can be a 10 minute wait, as they are still trying to work out the kinks.

8. I don't see how anyone can complain about the value you get here. With the promo of 2010 bahts this is one of the best values anywhere in the world IMO. Especially considering you will most likely get upgraded to a suite. The Sala villa with the plunge pools would have been nice (although not a standard upgrade), I'm thinking of mentioning it will be my last night tomorrow and would be nice to try it out. I'll report back my success.

The pizza I had today for lunch, although an odd choice for Thailand, struck my fancy. I'm from Chicago and it met my approval for a margharita pizza.

Last edited by schley; Sep 14, 2010 at 7:20 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:12 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update. Fantastic information. I'm very much looking forward to our stay. Always got to get an elite's perspective, as opposed to infrequent traveler's on tripadvisor.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schley
I asked about transfer to LM Phuket and was told that they don't feel that is necessary and i would agree.
If you are not a registered guest at the LM Phuket, its not appropriate for you to make use of their facilities including their beach. While the LM is an older property, its one of the very few resorts on the island with its own bay and its located on the more favourable west coast.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mario33
If you are not a registered guest at the LM Phuket, its not appropriate for you to make use of their facilities including their beach. While the LM is an older property, its one of the very few resorts on the island with its own bay and its located on the more favourable west coast.
I inquired because another poster asked about this, not because I thought it was needed.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:30 am

I almost forgot don't forget this property is participating in the 10k spg bonus points for 4 night stays or longer until the end of the year. That honestly is the reason that made me give this place a go. I'm so very glad I did.

For those who like to maximize their point earning and costs as leisure travelers do here are some calculations.

4 nights at basically $75 a.i. each night for $300 total bill.
I was upgraded to an indulge suite which goes for just under $300 a night.
Plats get 25 minute express massage value of $45
Breakfast for 2 complimentary each day I give it $40 each day for $160 total.
Plats get Free cocktails from 6-7 pm each night $25 each night at least for $100 total.

Point total
After the triple points I will have for this stay it will come to basically 2600 points plus the 10k spg point bonus for the resort promo. 500 for plat amenity.

12600 points for a 4 night total.

This is a leisure travelers dream. Maximize points, plat perks, and enjoy a great property for cheap.^

Last edited by schley; Sep 14, 2010 at 8:31 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt Diamond,HH gold
I almost forgot don't forget this property is participating in the 10k spg bonus points for 4 night stays or longer until the end of the year. That honestly is the reason that made me give this place a go. I'm so very glad I did.

For those who like to maximize their point earning and costs as leisure travelers do here are some calculations.

Plats get Free cocktails from 6-7 pm each night $25 each night at least for $100 total.

Point total
After the triple points I will have for this stay it will come to basically 2600 points plus the 10k spg point bonus for the resort promo. 500 for plat amenity.

This is a leisure travelers dream. Maximize points, plat perks, and enjoy a great property for cheap.^
you can not get triple points from this property. Last 2 weeks i went there upgraded to sala villa and they said lounge not open yet ,so cannot get any free drink and massage but still love this resort ~_~
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by yoshida_101
you can not get triple points from this property. Last 2 weeks i went there upgraded to sala villa and they said lounge not open yet ,so cannot get any free drink and massage but still love this resort ~_~
Well you got a better upgrade than I with a sala villa. There is no lounge at the property, they have an open air bar from 6-7 pm by the lobby that gives you the free drinks. Why didn't you get the platinum bonus of an express massage?

You are correct Westin isn't listed as participating in the double/triple points, that is what I get for assuming they were in. Damn.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt Diamond,HH gold
Well you got a better upgrade than I with a sala villa. There is no lounge at the property, they have an open air bar from 6-7 pm by the lobby that gives you the free drinks. Why didn't you get the platinum bonus of an express massage?

You are correct Westin isn't listed as participating in the double/triple points, that is what I get for assuming they were in. Damn.
i asked and they didnt tell anything only told me lounge not open yet and for platinum they told me only free breakfast and choose some gift (cookies,fruit,etc) and free internet +_+ and bonus of an express massage is per person?

Last edited by yoshida_101; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:18 pm

i asked and they didnt tell anything only told me lounge not open yet and for platinum they told me only free breakfast and choose some gift (cookies,fruit,etc) and free internet +_+ and bonus of an express massage is per person?
If you are a plat you should have had your choice of a food gift or the express massage. I don't think it is per person as it is a plat gift. The drinks are only for 1 hour but still nice as drinks can add up quickly.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:35 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Is there a PLAT cocktail hour? The property sent this to me as one of the PLAT benefits.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Ditto. I was not informed at all regarding cocktail or massage. Initially the lady weren't even aware plats are entitled to free internet.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you got a better upgrade than I with a sala villa.....
There are two types of Sala Villa, studio and one bedroom. Neither is officially available for Platinum upgrades. The studio Sala Villa is smaller than the suite you got.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor

Point total

I couldn't find the $75 per night deal. I don't think they still have them. Now, the going rate is about $150++ per night.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
What kind of costs does the resort have for food in their restaurants? What is the cost of breakfast? What about drinks? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.