Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP- 2MM
staying here right now for a week!

Internet did not work well so they came and gave me my own modem and access point in the room. Awesome service!

Great resort friendly staff, but the taxi service sucks! I would not stay here again. The beach sucks and it's just to much of a hassle to leave the resort.

They bell boys call you and unmarked overpriced taxis and the entire journey they try to take you to expensive seafood restaurants and sell you tours.

I complained and the receptionist apologized about "the taxi mafia" they have operating in this area and that they can not call a regular safe meter taxi like you are used to from everywhere else in Thailand.

They are "waiting for the government" to fix that as if they have no control on what transportation options they offer for their guests.

I'll see if I can catch the GM. This morning he was busy browsing eharmony.com in the lobby.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by verse99
staying here right now for a week!

Internet did not work well so they came and gave me my own modem and access point in the room. Awesome service!

Great resort friendly staff, but the taxi service sucks! I would not stay here again. The beach sucks and it's just to much of a hassle to leave the resort.

They bell boys call you and unmarked overpriced taxis and the entire journey they try to take you to expensive seafood restaurants and sell you tours.

I complained and the receptionist apologized about "the taxi mafia" they have operating in this area and that they can not call a regular safe meter taxi like you are used to from everywhere else in Thailand.

They are "waiting for the government" to fix that as if they have no control on what transportation options they offer for their guests.

I'll see if I can catch the GM. This morning he was busy browsing eharmony.com in the lobby.
It may not help, but I would suggest a letter to the Ambassador of your country in Bangkok. Pressure from above is about our only hope. :-s
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
It may not help, but I would suggest a letter to the Ambassador of your country in Bangkok. Pressure from above is about our only hope. :-s
You apparently live in Phuket. You know damn well that nothing will ever break the taxi mafia in Phuket .
Too much money involved here.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Any recent plat experiences at this hotel? I will be heading there in two weeks. Also any suggestions on drivers? This Phuket taxi mafia is freaking me out.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by tfong007
Any recent plat experiences at this hotel? I will be heading there in two weeks. Also any suggestions on drivers? This Phuket taxi mafia is freaking me out.
I haven't been to the hotel lately, but it's a lovely place. Albeit quite isolated. Exactly what some want, just the opposite of what others want.

Don't pay too much attention to the trolls and fear mongers regarding the taxi mafia. All they are are unlicensed private cars. They overcharge for their services with impunity and they refuse to be regulated by anyone but themselves.

What does it mean to the typical traveller? Nothing. You will be overcharged (or not) when you want to come and go to the hotel. But, that's the end of the bad news.

They figure, if you can toss away $100 - $200 per night on a room, you can afford $20 - 30 on taxi fare to run errands or sightsee. And they're right... (never mind the ethics of paying so much for a room, when they pay their staff peanuts).

Don't worry. If you take the taxis, just pay their fees. And enjoy your vacation.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I haven't been to the hotel lately, but it's a lovely place. Albeit quite isolated. Exactly what some want, just the opposite of what others want.

seanthepilot, I seem to be following you around on Thailand threads. I'd have preferred to stay at Le Meridien Khao Lak Oct 14 - Nov 1, but it looks like all but their lowest level rooms are unavailble and no opportunity for Plat suite upgrades. So I've switched my focus to W Siray. We seldom eat in hotel restaurants, so the question is: if we have a rental car are there (local authentic) eateries within a 15-30 min drive? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stayed here for four days last week. I would say that it was a great experience and I would return to this property. One kind of cool thing that I have not seen before is that the GM has a desk in the lobby. So he is in the mix with the rest of the front desk team.

Pros
Amenity points - plat SPG
20% discount card for food and drinks excl. alcohol
Happy hour - unlimited drinks for two - plat SPG
Suite upgrade - plat SPG
Excellent buffet breakfast for two - plat SPG
Free internet - plat SPG
Kids club - kids can be left there

Cons
Wifi internet was spotty in my room and around the property.
Transportation - The lack of consistent pricing makes every trip out of the hotel a pain. You basically end up keeping the cards of every person that you use and call 4 people to find the best price. The prices vary largely.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
seanthepilot, I seem to be following you around on Thailand threads. I'd have preferred to stay at Le Meridien Khao Lak Oct 14 - Nov 1, but it looks like all but their lowest level rooms are unavailble and no opportunity for Plat suite upgrades. So I've switched my focus to W Siray. We seldom eat in hotel restaurants, so the question is: if we have a rental car are there (local authentic) eateries within a 15-30 min drive? Thanks!
Everyone's biggest complaint seems to be isolation and the taxi mafia. I've stay there several times, and love the property. Why?

I rent a car.

Parking is free. Car rentals are cheap, and you can drive to several places close by, or even the other side of the island in perhaps 40 minutes.

If you don't like to drive, or don't like to eat at hotels, this place is NOT for you.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Actually, we used the hotel car for the few times we left the resort, and specifically requested the same driver. When we return early next year, we will do exactly the same.

The hotel car is new, clean and the driver extremely helpful and attentive. No need to haggle, locate a taxi or deal with a dirty taxi.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
We just returned from a 3 night stay.

Overall an excellent property. We were upgraded to an elevation suite, breakfast was absolutely excellent, and the staff were super friendly. Luckily we had already rented a car, so were able to drive to the places we wanted to go.

The main pool is under renovation or having emergency fixes, but we were doing more excursions anyways. They were very nice and let us stay until 5:30PM without an extra charge on the last day (late flight out).

We'll probably try a different location next time just because it did seem a little removed from most of the restaurants, bars, beaches, etc...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:14 pm
Used to be highman123

I posted a recent review on my blog with tons of pictures. Enjoy!

Westin Siray Bay Resport & Spa Review
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Can you please post the review here? Lots of pictures may be hard to post but the review should be easy. This way when people search for information they will find it. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:00 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa

Map| 7 Reviews | 14% Recommended

21/4 Moo 1 A.Muang Ratsada, TH 83000

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa (0 Photo)

Returned to the Westin yesterday for a night stay. On this occasion there was no Meet & Assist at HKT (despite requesting it several times) and the hotel no longer appears to have it's own branded limousine, rather we were picked up by Hello Phuket. Walking out of the arrivals hall it was very difficult locating the Westin representative amongst the crowd.

Check in was swift although the agent didn't recognise me as a Platinum and I had to ask for the benefits (just to ensure they were the same). He gave me a code for the internet which was redundant as I just logged in as usual.

Despite booking the One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa on this occasion, as well as our last stay, the rooms were vastly different. The check in agent made no mention of an upgrade, but on this stay we located on the Prego side of the resort. I have tried to find the room type on the website, and the closest category is the Renewal Villa, except it's is only on bedroom. It has all of the other amenities, and a huge rooftop courtyard which we discovered about 30 mins after we checked in. I may have squealed in excitement

Our first stay was shortly after the property opened, and the build quality of that villa was poor. This villa, however, is quite impeccable. The only slight issue is that the foliage blocks the view from the villa room and pool, but it also provides privacy.

Breakfast is decent, wifi slightly slow, and cocktail hour an absolute pleasure with the live band.

On this stay we intend not to leave the resort, and this villa has absolutely made the stay. Our next stop is the Park Hyatt Maldives and this may well beat that experience.

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by m0hamed; Jan 25, 2013 at 3:56 am
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:37 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Sounds great! I have two free nights to use at this property and now more optimistic.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Isn't it a joy when a hotel decides to break free from the carefully cultivated corporate communications guidelines and posts this on its official Facebook page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.