Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2002, 8:08 am

Grand Hotel Flora-Point Redemption

Can't get any dates we need online using Hotel Rewards Code 077 (150,000 Pts.) for one week at Category 7. How do we use our points and get a week or more stay at Rome and Milan? Please advise.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 8:57 am

When are you looking to go? At least for the Flora in Rome you will have to book that probably 50 weeks out. It is difficult to get unless you really plan ahead. We stayed there last year in May and had reserved it exactly 50 weeks out. It is not a very large property. I don't know anything about the Milan property. Good luck.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 4:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Took me about a year in advance to get in as well.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 1:11 pm

Thanks for advising us to try to book about 50 weeks ahead. We will try it. However, I still need advice on how best to book it using Redemption Rewards for a week or longer? Should we keep trying online or is it better to call Marriott direct? Please advise and thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:18 pm

Non-US properties come up with availability (at least in my experience) on the website Sunday morning 50 weeks out. Unlike domestic properties, the entire week shows up instead of day by day. When I booked Paris this way last year, I actually made 2 different reservations for a total of 7 nights. Some people have reported that you can call to combine the reservations then, but the rep I got didn't know how to do it so I actually have a reservation for 1 night and one for 6 nights but am using a 7 night cert.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:49 pm
GG

If you're very constrained when you can travel, I'm sorry - flexibility is our easiest answer to booking problems. Apparently most Americans want to book all the popular destinations in the same basic timeframe. If you can work around that, life is easier.

We booked the Grand Flora about 12 weeks out with no problems at all; then our friends also booked their award room for the same week. But we were booking a week in February.

I would think Milan would only be a problem during certain trade show times.

Calling Marriott might be easier, if you get a good CSR. At least, they can check dates faster than you can on-line.

But, msrohud is right that being creative is of the essence. Maybe it's only one night of the week you want that isn't available? Don't expect the rep you get to think that way. You can spend some time on line doing research - see if individual nights you want are available. But I usually have good luck just calling Marriott. Good luck to you!

------------------
The Delta Flyers' Guide
E-mail on the Flyers' Guide site
Old Apr 30, 2002, 4:28 am

Many thanks for your good advice!
Old Apr 30, 2002, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I think the Grand Flora (Rome) is easier to get on an award during the off-season. Just had a 6 night award stay there in early March. We reserved late April 2001 or about 45 weeks in advance. They had 1 other award room left at that time for the nights we booked. I've heard that they only offer two award rooms at any one time. We changed our plans a bit in late May 2001 without problem, although the other award room was gone at that time.

The hotel is nice and the staff is excellent. Enjoy!
Old Sep 10, 2002, 2:42 pm

Rome Grand Flora on Awards

Someone had mentioned staying at this hotel on awards. I checked online to see if they had blackout days and saw this message. "There are currently no awards for this property available." Are there awards or aren't there? If they are how many points are they?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 2:57 pm

Did stay there on an award back in 2001. If you do a search on these boards I remember some talk about the hotel not wanting to accept award stays and there were legal issues between them and Marriott regarding this.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 3:22 am

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
While this is a beautifully regal, conveniently located and historically colorful property . . . I wouldn't recommend it.

I did stay there on an award stay just a few months ago (Category 6 - 30,000 pts). I wasn't impressed at all with their service or attitudes. The Platinum gift was nicer than usual - a bottle of champagne. But that's where it ended.

The only soft drinks in the hotel are available in the bar for $4.50 and come in a rocks glass (translated, 8 oz!!) There's no concierge lounge, no breakfast (unless you want to pay $38,) no check-writing priveleges, and no apologies about any of the above.

Maybe it's because I was merely an "award" guest, and not a revenue guest, but my experience was unpleasant enough that I will never go back. As a 200 nite/yr Platinum, I've grown to appreciate the service that CAN be enjoyed at most Marriott properties. If ever I've been disappointed, management immediately takes steps to correct it.

Not in Rome. My formal survey (which I spent 20 minutes completing) was never even acknowledged.

There are many wonderful (and cheap) B&Bs in Rome. Save your MR points for properties like the Category 4 Renaissance in Zurich which was awesome, with the best concierge lounge breakfast I've ever seen (eaten)!
Old Sep 11, 2002, 3:27 am

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
One other thing I forgot to mention, in response to your questions. I've run into several occasions when a property wasn't listed on the Rewards page, but DID show up on Marriott's homepage "Hotel Search". When I called Marriot rewards, I was told that they would be happy to book it for me using Reward points. Go figure.

Regarding the Flora, I believe it is a fairly recent acquisition of Marriott, and apparently, they've come kicking and screaming the whole way.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:40 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
Here is the thread. The general thought was that while it is a nice hotel, and in a great area - award wise it was pretty difficult. I think it is available 9-12 months out - but it very limited even then. Good Luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001637.html
Old Sep 13, 2002, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Stayed there myself on rewards last year. Attitudes are bad and rooms were small. Whenever you request something or ask a question they act like they are doing you a favor by helping. ONLY benefit location.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 3:22 pm

My understanding was the accept the standard awards, but do not offer last room availability on Anytime Awards.

I would just call 800-Marriott and ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.