Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2001, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
Just returned from a three day stay and had no problems--in fact, I found it to be one of the better Marriott's in the chain.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 2:23 pm
DOC 2 BE

I second Snackyx' sentiments completely. I think it is a great hotel. World20, I am truly sorry that you encountered an ant in your food. However, 1) that can, and does happen anywhere, and 2) a solitary ant, which you disclose in your posting, fails to live up to the hype of your topic heading -- ANTS in the Kitchen.

If you will not stay there again because of this circumstance, that is a pity, but it is fine with me, as it will mean one less person I will have to contend with when booking my award stay there!!!

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 01-25-2001).]

Old Feb 1, 2001, 3:57 pm
GG

One ant... naw... a roach, maybe.

But if you want an ant story, we have one. (It's long though - you've been warned.)

West Texas, December 1989: The computer chip on our Voyager, having been damaged when incompetents replaced the engine, goes out, and fritzes the alternator too. We have been nursing this car since San Diego, hoping to get home and make the idiots fix their mess, but no way. We just manage to limp into the Marriott in El Paso late on a Friday morning. Lo and behold, the Plymouth/Dodge dealership is practically across the street. That's handy, but we discover the parts have to come from Denver, and they certainly won't arrive until Monday at earliest. We're going to be earning some unplanned Marriott nights.

It's early December and the hotel is all decorated for Christmas. The decorations include pots and pots of poinsettias piled to resemble a huge Christmas tree (note this - it's relevant). The Concierge Lounge has closed up tight for the weekend, so we stagger into the dining room at the hotel that evening, rather the worse for wear and worry, and order a bottle of wine and our food. The restaurant isn't full, but maybe half the tables are occupied. There's the usual salad bar set up over on one side of the restaurant. This being El Paso, the restaurant is done in a sort of generic Southwestern style, which includes (pay attention here) darkish brown tile on the long salad bar. Scott goes to get his salad. Now he's notoriously oblivious to certain things, or I'm notoriously picky - take your choice. He gets salad and comes back to the table. I go to the salad bar. I pick up a small cup for soup - and there's an ant in it! Ick! So I put it down quickly, and then the whole scene shifts focus, just like in a movie - and I see that the entire salad bar is crawling with ants. Lots of ants. Lots and lots of ants. But until you looked closely, you didn't see them.

Amazingly enough, I didn't make a sound. I just sort of froze, staring, and then I tottered back to our table, sat down, and told my husband, "The salad bar is crawling with ants." And yep, the salad he'd already put on the table contained a few critters, once we looked. I watched him go back up to the salad bar, and it was funny - when he actually focused on the critters, he went through the same "freeze" sequence I had.
Next step was to get the 12 year old (well, he looked 12 anyway) Host, Charlie. Walk up, focus, freeze… Charlie disappeared PDQ and returned with the manager lady, who walked up, focused, froze… and disappeared into the kitchen.

And then nothing happened for a long time. As the wine in our bottle got lower and lower, we kept wondering what was going on. We're starving too, now, not being interested in salad with extra protein. Suddenly - an army in kitchen fatigues appeared with what seemed like dozens of those huge metal shelved carts they use to serve banquets, and trays, and cans, and implements of destruction, and in about 30 seconds everything was off the salad bar and had disappeared into the kitchen.

Once that was done the waitress and manager appeared at our table. What's happened is the ants got in from the potted poinsettias, the manager lady said, and thank you, THANK YOU, for not screaming and making a scene. We're so grateful, we want to comp you dinner. Well, we weren't going to say No. But the wine was gone, and frankly we wanted some more. Scott thought it would be tacky to order another bottle now. I said, just tell them we'll pay for it - and at that moment our food arrived. Well - the waitress served my plate, and as she started around my chair to my husband's, she bobbled his plate, tried to recover, hit the end just so, and we watched it cartwheel in the air, and come crashing down within millimeters of my chair. I was actually untouched, but I thought the poor woman was going to die on the spot. She disappeared to get clean up materials - I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd left the restaurant never to return, but she did come back, only to explain in an agony of embarrassment that Texas law prohibited them from comping us the wine. "Oh thank goodness," Scott said, "bring us another bottle."

The restaurant was closed for two days for debugging. We had plenty of chance to eat at it later. It's an OK Marriott, but stay away from the poinsettias.

Our week's stay at the Flora was unburdened with ants.

Old Feb 1, 2001, 6:25 pm
DOC 2 BE

Great story!!

Well, what did you think of the Flora?

Old Feb 2, 2001, 9:29 am
GG

We stayed there last February. It was definitely worth doing on points. We had a nice room with a small balcony overlooking the Villa Borghese; the bath was huge and well appointed. There was also a large walk-in closet which reeked of cigarette smoke, but that's one of the things you put up with. Our friends who also were staying on points had a much smaller room that faced the courtyard. It was adequate. Maybe it's the difference between how they treat Platinums and non-status people.

We had an extremely good meal the one time we ate in the Marriott dining room, our first night in when everyone was too tired to worry about looking for something else. Beware the Marriott bar though - they offered a special price on a glass of wine - on the bar menu with NO "fine print". The next evening a different barman said we had to order overpriced appetizers to get the promo price. We declined, but discovered we'd been charged full price for the previous day's wine. And no, the hotel wouldn't adjust the charge. It wasn't that much money, but it was tacky, and we don't expect "gotcha's" from Marriott.

There was a very helpful front desk clerk, a young woman, who mangaged to track down the name of a restaurant in the old Jewish area which specializes in artichokes, with basically no more information than that. Our friends really appreciated that, as her mother had insisted that they find this restaurant and eat there. (It was worth doing, too.)

The location is convenient for the subway and buses, and I like being near the Borghese, although walking there is more pleasant in slightly warmer weather.

(Slightly rewritten from what I posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000173.html about a month ago)
Old Apr 30, 2001, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Bringing this foward to ask if anyone has stayed since the last post and I'm going with my daughter (9 year old) in August. They have availability using a 7 night award I have from cashing in on the 200,000 713 award. I'm guessing this is a good use of that even if I only spend 5 or 6 nights?

Thanks

Dick
Old Apr 30, 2001, 6:03 pm

This is an excellent use of a hotel certificate if there is availability. The Grand Flora is without a doubt one of the better Marriott's in the chain--it appears they may haven taken over an existing hotel, becasue it doesn't look anything like the run of the mill Marriott--more like a Four Seasons. The morning brunch, which was included with our room (check first--some rates do not) is wonderful, with typically top notch European service.

If possible, try to get a room that overlooks the via Veneto or the City Wall, which is right outside of the hotel. There are interior rooms that view into a coutyard that do not have the sparkle of the exterior rooms.

One tip if you have not been to Rome--if arriving at FCO, take the train to the city and catch a cab to the hotel at the train station. There are many unlicensed cabs that will work hard to get your business the minute you step outside customs. These guys are crooks--trust me, I was taken. There are licensed cabs WITH METERS parked at the curb. It still is about a $50 ride. If NO meter, NO ride!

Have a great time--this is one place you can stay a full seven days and enjoy each one.
Old Apr 30, 2001, 8:01 pm

Originally posted by drtravels:
Bringing this foward to ask if anyone has stayed since the last post and I'm going with my daughter (9 year old) in August. They have availability using a 7 night award I have from cashing in on the 200,000 713 award. I'm guessing this is a good use of that even if I only spend 5 or 6 nights?

Thanks

Dick
I will be staying there this coming Saturday for 7 nights on a 713 award. I will be sure to post back to you. I have only heard great things about the hotel. It's my first trip to Europe and I can't wait! First stop Rome, then on to Venice and finish in Florence.

Old May 1, 2001, 9:59 am
Suspended

Thanks everyone.

Msrohud: I certainly would appreciate any information about the hotel and things you enjoyed there when you return. Have fun.
Old May 24, 2001, 8:48 pm

I've booked two(non-discounted)nights at this property for mid-September, and am wondering if someone can tell us if they have non-smoking rooms, and if not, do all rooms seem permeated with smoke. We've got a sensitive nose to contend with. Also, any discounting information or award guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 24, 2001, 9:03 pm
DOC 2 BE

Originally posted by firstclass:
I've booked two(non-discounted)nights at this property for mid-September, and am wondering if someone can tell us if they have non-smoking rooms, and if not, do all rooms seem permeated with smoke. We've got a sensitive nose to contend with. Also, any discounting information or award guidance would be greatly appreciated.
No problem re Non-smoking rooms -- after all, it is and American hotel chain, and it caters in large part to an AMerican clientele! Not much discounting except a weekend discount may be available -- only Friday and Saturdays.

We really liked the hotel. However, I must warn you that in Italy, you should be prepared to encounter smoking in many places.

Old May 25, 2001, 5:21 am

Originally posted by firstclass:
I just returned from a week stay at this Marriott. The room was a non-smoking and was fine. The bathroom was the smallest one that we had during the trip. I was terribly disappointed with the quality of service that we received from the head concierge. He had a "typical/traditional" older Italian male very snooty attitude towards us. He also gave incorrect/incomplete info. I could accept this at another hotel since the culture is different, but not at a Marriott. He was the worst of all the concierges that we had in 4 different hotels. The hotel staff in Florence at a 3 star hotel was considerably better than he was.

If your rate does not include breakfast, I do not recommend it as the price was around $25. Ours did not as we were staying on an award. I don't know what the eggs are but I DON'T recommend them! We did eat dinner in the restaraunt twice. The chef is from Naples and the vegetable lasagne was excellent.

I thought we would encounter a lot of smoke, but was pleasantly surprised. The worst situation was when we forgot to reserve our seats on one train in a non-smoking car. We went to the dining car for the duration of the trip.

I will be more than happy to share any information on my trip. I think I am finally over the effects of returning to, yes, Kansas. I'm not from here, I just reside here!

Melissa

Old May 26, 2001, 4:20 pm

The conceriege, an gentleman in his 50's with grey half and half glasses that he could always look over the top at you, did have some of that "old world" attitude, but I still found him helpful.

I was on the breakfats plan, and found it to be quite nice--buy probably not wortht $25, if thats what you got hammered for.
Old May 28, 2001, 5:57 pm

Thanks very much for the reassurances about the non-smoking rooms. The information is very helpful and of course leads to another question to those that know; How convenient is the Marriott to the "must see" tourist destinations? (Any specific recommendations would be helpful for our first visit to Rome.) Thanks!
Old May 28, 2001, 8:58 pm
DOC 2 BE

Literally, accross the strett is the Borghese Gardens which is a great place to jog/walk. It has a wonderful museum devoted to Etruscan art and crafts, as well as the justly famous and recently renovated Borghese Gallery. The latter is certainly a "must see" and the concierge can arrange for you tix to it. Do not attempt to go and purchase tix as it sells out. Have the concierge arrange them for you but be aware that you may not get the date that you want.

It is at 10-15 min walk to the Spanish Steps. Being from just outside of NYC, we love to walk -- a fine way to burn off the wine and pasta!

For other sites, you will need to take a bus, eg. Coliseum, Vatican, etc.

The hotel is not in the center of the Historical City and that in my mind is a benefit, as it is not assaulted by all the noise and pollution of Rome. Being at the top of the Via Veneto, a gentle slope, and next door to the Borghese, makes it in an area (quite posh) that has some of the cleanest air in Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.