Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
[B]That you are furiour over this, I think is ludicrous.B]</font>
5 years of staying at Marriott and 2.5 million points in my account and you don't think I have a right to be mad? I wouldn't be upset if there weren't rooms available (I play by the rules). But, there are rooms available. They just won't let me stay there using anytime awards. If this hotel does not participate in anytime rewards, then that needs to be disclosed to US (all the members of Marriott's reward program)!!! Everything on Marriott's website indicates this hotel does participate in award redemption.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
"Stay Anytime Rewards"

"Marriott hotels reserve only a certain number of rooms for reward redemptions. However, you can spend just 50% more points for Stay Anytime Rewards that allow you to override blackout dates and other hotel restrictions to get the last room available. As long as the hotel still has a room available, its yours!"

I don't understand the reason for the rather harsh response to the original poster. The above quoted language directly from the Marriott Rewards site makes it clear that this hotel is not playing by the rules. And I didn't notice anything in the rules about exceptions for smaller properties. It certainly shouldn't require knowing somebody at Marriott Rewards to fix this problem, but maybe Socrates can suggest somebody to contact.

[This message has been edited by ohmark (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:17 am
Suspended

Harsh, no, realistic, yes. The poster exclaimed that a Marriott Rewards supervisor was of "no help!"

I merely commented that they do indeed try to be helpful when they can, but as I recall there were problems from the get go with this property.

As for the hashness, I suggested to this individual that he should contact the hotel and perhaps he can convince them that he will spend a certain amount that will open a room for him, that is what I have done with the Hilton Cav and it worked, and I am merely a Gold.

As for Socrates' potential assitance, that would be nice if he could, but I believe that this is out of his bailiwick, and anyway.

Two and 1/2 million points? Gee, you have got to diversify your portfolio, and look into Starwood or Hyatt! Or with your spend patterns, all you need is to spend $10,000 at Hilton to obtain their top tier.

Finally, are all of the days not available, or just some of them? Marriott, unlike Hilton, permits you to string non-consecutive reward day stays together so long as you have a paid day in between.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
My advice would be to check every single day for each day you want individually. With the assistance of an FT'er and following this advice, I was able first to get a few days, then start 'hanging' days around it. In the end, I was simply amazed at how often their inventory opened up and then was gone again. What was initially a five day stay at a time that wasn't all that convenient, became a seven day stay right when we wanted it, and could have been stretched to a 13 day stay without problem.

Oh how I wish I'd made it thirteen days!

This was in the middle of summer BTW.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:45 am

I'm not going to get into a long squabble as to whether the first reply to the original poster is harsh; I understand the poster doesn't believe it was and was just trying to be "helpful". But when somebody here asks for advice, and the response includes: "I don't have much sympathy for you"; and "I think is ludicrous", and when the "helpful" suggestions include advising the poster to join another program, or to change his plans and visit Paris, when the poster is planning Rome, it sounds a little harsh. Finally, I don't understand why we shouldn't have sympathy for a Marriott elite who is not asking for anything special or some exception to the rules, but is simply asking how to go about having either the hotel or Marriott Rewards see to it that the rules are fairly and appropriately applied. The rules provide for utilizing a stay anytime award for last room availablity. That's all the poster is seeking. Why shouldn't Marriott see to it that that's what he gets?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:12 am
Suspended

ohmark:

I do not intend to get into a squabble either, and I for one, do not disagree with either you or the poster that Marriott should live up to the terms of what you have posted. Moreover, given this individual's spend patterns, Marriott might be more solicitous of his complaints.

However, that is why I indicated that he could take the actions that he has by seeking a comp from either Hilton or Starwood as they have properties in that city. My sarcasm was not directed towards the poster but with respect to any chain that does not live up to its end of the bargain, and my suggestions are a way around that.

With respect to the Flora, I was commenting on the problems that others have reported from time to time, especially when that hotel initially came into the Marriott fold.

I for one, forgot I had a reservation at that property on one occassion because of a disconnect between online and phone bookings, and althoough it was a slow time for them, Marriott Customer Service was not able to have them relent and credit me the amount charged to my credit card. Moreover, as Marriott requires someone to stay at a property to get points, I was SOL on that score, as well. So, I said goodbye to over $300.00. and vowed that that hotel would never screw me over again.

So, when the poster said that they could not get MR to get the hotel to budge, it was deja vu all over again. I wish him/her luck in their quest, but they should really consider taking my advice that I have proferred with respect to trying to book that hotel for days individually, or seeking other chains in the area, or going to the other prestige property that Marriott has in Europe. Case closed.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:43 am

Ok NJ; I accept your good intentions.
In my view, when any property violates the rules as to one member with impunity, it affects all of us. I wish the original poster well.
Mark
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'm going to wade in one more time here. First off, let me say the Flora is worth whatever you have to go through to get it. Call the manager, call the manager's mom, call every single MR person you know or have heard of...it's that good.

It's that good b/c of the location. On Via Venetto right by the Borghese. Across the street from Harry's. Close to Barbarini subway stop or a bit longer walk through the pedestrian tunnel to Spagna.

The person I referred to above is none other than...NJUPINTHEAIR. I don't know how he knows so much about the MR program and frankly I don't care. On more than one occasion he has been able to help me out with tips and tricks.

I had initially given up on Roma, but he came back with a 'what the bleep are you thinking; just do this, this and this' and boom, seven days in Roma.

Anyway, do whatever you can, get and take whatever advice you can and get that stay. I would have to agree with the above: you've got that many points which means you've spent a ton of money...make it work for you. Throw some of your weight around.

By the way, the bar in the Flora is also very nice. There are regulars that go in there that made my wife and I laugh every night. We came up with nicknames for them. One was Elton John b/c of the huge glasses he wore. Another way Fredo b/c he looked like the brother from the Godfather movies. The drinks are actually very reasonable as well, and there is a great little cafe right around the corner for capps & croiss's...mmm.

Good luck...don't give up. Ciao.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:39 pm

Oops...one more comment. NJUPINTHEAIR said think about *wood. My thought on this is that if you do, don't go with the Westin right down the street from the Excelsior until you exhaust all other means with Marriott. I stayed there for two nights on the same trip. While very nice and in the same location, we missed the Marriott bar and ended up there both nights. I guess you can see what we enjoy doing in the evenings on vacation...lushes that we are.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:43 pm

Ok, now I can't shut up. I just looked and there is availability on May 29, 2004. GO GET IT RIGHT NOW, then check tomorrow and the day after and the day after and so on.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Two and a half million points and this is your FIRST redemtion? What on earth are you saving them for? I pride myself in having hardly any points...We actually USE them! I thought that was the idea.

He who dies with the most points is the loser in this game.

Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:06 pm

I'm a hoarder too...700k with US. Yep...I've also got a hefty retirement account full of old Iraqi Dinars or whatever they used to be called.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
He who dies with the most points is the loser in this game.
</font>
I like the quote! I know I need to start taking more time off work. I'm young and I work for a consulting firm. Not much free time to spend on vacation while climbing up the corporate ladder. That's why I'm so furious about this Rome award redemption with Marriott. I've never been to Italy and I've been wanting to vist ever since I was a child. I've finally managed to take take 3 weeks off work and Marriott pulls this SH&%.

dingo & ohmark... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT! You hit the nail on the head; I'm not looking for any special favors. I just want to play by the rules and get what I deserve. Nothing more.

I called Marriott again today and still no availability (May 9-28). The women I spoke to today said she would call the hotel directly for me in the morning. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:11 am

RMAZ, good luck. sounds like it won't work, but I'd strongly advise taking the 29th if it fits your plans at all.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:02 pm

It's now gone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.