Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
It's a very marginal hotel in my opinion and WAY over-priced. We stayed there for 3 nights a couple years back and won't do that again. It's extremely crowded with tour groups coming and going all day.
and I agree as well, having stayed there three times and never to return! This CY is like the one in Kona poor use of the franchise and I am unsure why Marriott has not come down on this location. The "restaurant" if you can call it has marginal food at best, greasy, low value high price ( at least the IHOP is across the street).

Rooms are extremely small and poorly converted let alone the owner used cheap furniture. Too dark.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To clarify I'm pretty sure SacTownGuy was commenting on the Marriott, and edgewood49 is commenting on the Courtyard.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
To clarify I'm pretty sure SacTownGuy was commenting on the Marriott, and edgewood49 is commenting on the Courtyard.
I was on CY. The Marriott from the day it opened and I was there two days after it was converted to a Marriott has been a winner. Like most hotels has it's ups and down but in all a good solid hotel. I do wish they had kept the large center lobby bar !
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I have stayed at both properties within the last 4 months. The CY was OK as far as rooms (and includes frig and microwave) but the exercise room was very small and borderline unusable (to me) because of poor air conditioning -- it was like a sauna in there. I was there for a week, and reported it on the first day of my stay, and was told later in the week that everything was operating according to spec. I more recently stayed at the FS Marriott, and while I found a few things lacking given the price premium and "resort" status, it is much nicer, and the exercise room is top notch. My room (an ocean view junior suite) had a frig but no microwave. There are great restaurants on site at the FS property (the sushi restaurant is excellent, and the steak place next door looked good and was excellent according to several guests I spoke with) and if you're planning to relax at the pool or enjoy food/drinks at a relaxing bar area, the FS Marriott wins hands down. As for the resort fee -- the front desk clerk told me it was optional. Since I booked before the fee was instituted I frankly didn't even consider paying it, but since I was there for business and used the hotel as a "standard" FS Marriott, I likely would have declined anyways. If money is no object, then there really is no contest, the FS wins hands down. Otherwise, you need to weigh the added cost vs how much you will use the expanded services at the FS and how much you will appreciate the much nicer atmosphere.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I disagree with the Waikiki Beach Marriott resort fee thread being merged here. That thread discussed the new $25 resort fee which has nothing to do the the Waikiki CY.

This original thread compares the two Marriott properties. The subjects are completely different.

No wonder people need to ask questions in a thread rather than search - since the resort fee discussion is now imbedded in a comparison of two properties. I chose not to append to this thread originally since the subject is different concerning the resort fee.

There are 42 other Waikiki Marriott threads in the forum - and they have not be consolidated and some of those have duplicate exact titles. The Resort fee subject would have been a desirable searchable title.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cova
I disagree with the Waikiki Beach Marriott resort fee thread being merged here. That thread discussed the new $25 resort fee which has nothing to do the the Waikiki CY.

This original thread compares the two Marriott properties. The subjects are completely different.

No wonder people need to ask questions in a thread rather than search - since the resort fee discussion is now imbedded in a comparison of two properties. I chose not to append to this thread originally since the subject is different concerning the resort fee.

There are 42 other Waikiki Marriott threads in the forum - and they have not be consolidated and some of those have duplicate exact titles. The Resort fee subject would have been a desirable searchable title.
Suggest you PM the mod w/ the info/reasons you posted to see if he'll make a change.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It seems to me that the new $25 resort fee is a major issue when comparing these two Waikiki properties.

Bruce
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
It seems to me that the new $25 resort fee is a major issue when comparing these two Waikiki properties.

Bruce
But if you want to do a search on titles for "resort fee" it is better to have that as a separate thread. Now the subject of Waikiki Beach Marriott's new resort fee is lost in property comparison.

There are 42 threads with the word Waikiki in the title and a few of those thread have the exact title - would it not make sense to merge those?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
There are 42 threads with the word Waikiki in the title and a few of those thread have the exact title - would it not make sense to merge those?
Not any more! I merged a lot of old threads into this one, which seems most relevant to travelers trying to choose a Marriott-family hotel in Waikiki today. (The old Renaissance has been reflagged for years now.)

Let's drop the discussion of moderation, OK? It's a violation of Flyertalk's rules, anyway. These sorts of comments can be sent to me privately. I'm happy to receive them. Really.

Bruce
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by edgewood49
It's a shame about the Edition and the CY is a sad case of trying to get a lower cost flag in Hawaii. by the by the CY in Kona is no better, like the Waikiki CY it's an old real old hotel converted to a CY. Poor execution.

Doing the Taste of Gold challenge right now and these were among the best rates for the islands I could find. (should have broke up my stay in LIH better but didn't pre-plan- enrolled right before my flight )
-lower via Look No Further so pretty good deals on properties

I have a future stay at the Waikiki Marriott and I just noticed that my reservation now shows a $25 per day resort fee.

When the reservation was made - the Waikiki Marriott highlighted that it did not charge a resort fee.

I called the hotel and the resort fee went into effect on Sept 1st. However, reservations made prior to the fee announcement will not be charged. The indication was that the staff has been advised to remove the charge for pre-fee reservations.

This makes the property less competitive in my view.
Well guess that makes this easy- was considering the property as better benefits as a Gold, but not spending more on this unless it includes parking Had me scared for a second thought it was the CY with this
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Anyone have any luck haing this resort fee waved? Just booked 6 nights there in a week or so.. Says $25 fee.

As a plat we already get free Internet access.. Won't use any of these other features. I will challenge it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Just got back and had the fee waived. However, I had made the reservation prior to the resort fee being posted even though they had automatically added it to my reservation. They told me the fee was optional and I did not have to pay it if I didn't want to.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jonas36
They told me the fee was optional and I did not have to pay it if I didn't want to.
Hopefully that's true & not just FDC dependent. Given how little the resort fee covers (unlike other resorts in the Marriott family), I could see a Gold/Plat successfully arguing against the fee since they already get free i-net and can use their mobiles for calls & if they don't have a car, there'd be nothing it would cover. And even if they did have a car, as long as the parking was less than the resort fee, they could just pay for parking.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hopefully that's true & not just FDC dependent. Given how little the resort fee covers (unlike other resorts in the Marriott family), I could see a Gold/Plat successfully arguing against the fee since they already get free i-net and can use their mobiles for calls & if they don't have a car, there'd be nothing it would cover. And even if they did have a car, as long as the parking was less than the resort fee, they could just pay for parking.
According to their website it does not include anything on parking.

"Resort Fee plus applicable taxes includes high speed internet access, local calls, long distance/international calls up to 60 mins. per day, faxes up to 20 pages per day, daily Fitness & Cultural classes, $10 off Stand Up Paddle or Surf lesson, local newspaper and one Mai Tai drink per day."

The self-parking at the hotel was $32 p/d and valet was $37. If the resort fee actually did cover parking it would be a very good value.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that my husband is plat and only stays here on business I would hope it would be waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.