Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
You video has some misinformation in it - specific to parking - where you state the parking area is small very expensive. You stated it runs about 40 dollars. Valet is 37 and self is 32 ---- 32 isn't really close to 40.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I don't find the hotel to be dated at all - although I haven't been in a regular room in awhile

Originally Posted by thnarf
I stayed at the Waikiki Marriott recently on a trip to Hawaii and put a video review together. So if you'd like to "see" what the hotel and rooms look like, check out the video on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21J07cKU-ag

I've stayed at the Waikiki Marriott twice.. I've enjoyed the stay both times primarily due to the location. However this hotel is in desperate need of a renovation of the guest rooms and hallways. I'd highly suggest checking out the JW Marriott Ihilani... or maybe splitting your stay between the both hotels. That's what I did. 4 nights at the Ihilani, and 5 nights in Waikiki.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Every Marriott resort that I have stayed in has waived the resort fee for platinums when asked

Originally Posted by wvactions
Just noticed that Waikiki Marriott Resort and Spa now charges a $25+tax daily resort fee. For that fee you get a newspaer, internet and a fitness class. As a Platinum member I get a newspaper and internet free anyway, this means I would have to pay a $25 fee each day for a fitness class that I don't want to take. Guess this hotel is off my list!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:49 pm

Some quick food for thought. I have stayed in both. The FS will waive the resort fee - and your platinum status gets you a little card with some discounts at the restaurants there. The CY did not do a good job of renovating when it took over the Wyland Waikiki. The neighbhorhood around the courtyard is a little sketchy (Behind) and the lady's/manlady's of the night operate their business right near the hotel. We found it entertaining to watch, but some don't.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
OK... decided to stay at the CY next trip. Between the resort fee and the rate, it's a savings of $50 a night or so. Although, I'm not seeing anything in the rate range some of the posters are describing (120-150).

But, if I'm at the CY, what is the best room for a single or couple?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Every Marriott resort that I have stayed in has waived the resort fee for platinums when asked
The Marriott Wailea Resort (on Maui) will waive the $30 resort fee but then will charge $25 for parking! It's not much of a victory.

Bruce
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
You video has some misinformation in it - specific to parking - where you state the parking area is small very expensive. You stated it runs about 40 dollars. Valet is 37 and self is 32 ---- 32 isn't really close to 40.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I don't find the hotel to be dated at all - although I haven't been in a regular room in awhile
Thanks for the correction on the parking. And perhaps the Marriott Waikiki seemed more dated to me as I was just coming from the JW Ihilani.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:59 pm

That might have been - the Ihilani JUST went through some major room refurbs as the pictures you showed looked nothing like when I was there in 2009.

R

Originally Posted by thnarf
Thanks for the correction on the parking. And perhaps the Marriott Waikiki seemed more dated to me as I was just coming from the JW Ihilani.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: E50 MM
Just stayed at both recently, the Marriott Resort & Spa Waikiki is clearly superior to the Courtyard on many fronts.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rushfan1
Just stayed at both recently, the Marriott Resort & Spa Waikiki is clearly superior to the Courtyard on many fronts.
and is usually $50+ a night more and since its a resort w/o a lounge no free breakfast or any benefit for being an Elite.(nor any at the CY)

I stay @ the CY due to not spending much of any time in the room itself except to sleep. Now if the MR was like the HHV that would be something else

clearly its a do as you please issue, I just dont see any advantage to paying more $$ to stay at the Marriott, could be if you plan to spend alot of $$ in house then at least @ the MR you will get pts for some of the charges which isnt the case at the CY. But HI in general is so more expensive for almost everything then the mainland why should I get Ripped-off even more by spending in house
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by craz
I stay @ the CY due to not spending much of any time in the room itself except to sleep....
This is the key for me. I've been to Hawaii roughly once a year for two decades, sometimes to Oahu and sometimes to other islands. When I go to Oahu, it's almost always for business. I see no reason at all to pay $50-100/night more for a "resort" that treats me worse than a dog and, for my purposes, is in a far worse location.

I have never had a good experience at the Waikiki Marriott and plan never to stay there again. If the place fell into the ocean, I would not shed a tear. The Courtyard isn't a fancy place, but the staff have always been very nice, and I like the location.

Bruce
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband goes there usually a couple of times a year, he works in the government division of a software company so he's usually visiting Pearl Harbor, the Army base and the state offices. Courtyard is more convenient and is in his company's budget. For business, it wins, and for vacation- I don't see why anyone would stay in Honolulu.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by bdschobel
This is the key for me. I've been to Hawaii roughly once a year for two decades, sometimes to Oahu and sometimes to other islands. When I go to Oahu, it's almost always for business. I see no reason at all to pay $50-100/night more for a "resort" that treats me worse than a dog and, for my purposes, is in a far worse location.

I have never had a good experience at the Waikiki Marriott and plan never to stay there again. If the place fell into the ocean, I would not shed a tear. The Courtyard isn't a fancy place, but the staff have always been very nice, and I like the location.

Bruce
I too travel to the islands several times a year mostly on business but art once on personal as my wife is hawaiian. In fact I was one of the first guest when Marriott took over the Waikiki property and have seen it's changes over the years.

And have stayed at the "new" CY twice, once when it was first opened then six months later and can tell you that aside from price point and it's Marriott points thats all it has going for it. The rooms are extremely small, chopped up, done with very inexpensive furnishings, the bar is small and loud, the "restaurant" at least when I was there was marginal at best.

The best thing about it is that there is a IHOP across the street!

While I hear everyone talk about price point and it is a factor I just will not stay there and I much prefer the Waikiki Marriott. Sorry Bruce my opinion!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Waikiki CY: Nice "MRP" rate, but beware!

Needed one night in Waikiki at the beginning of my 8-day trip to HNL (5 days at the end will be award stay at brand "H"). Found this "MRP" rate, good from October 24, 2012 - January 16, 2013, which includes 2500 bonus points per stay, and free parking every day. The rate for Oct. 25 was $174. Clearly a one-night stay maximizes the value of the features.

I checked-in yesterday afternoon, and the valet parkers made sure to mention the $32 parking charge. I said parking was included in my rate and a got a shrug, as if to say "everybody thinks that". At the front desk I asked for confirmation that my rate included the amenities stated above (which I never do, since I know it's all stored in the system in case of trouble) and the clerk looked at his screen and said he'd never seen that rate and would have to confirm with Marriott and call me in my room. He did so promptly, but I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't spoken up. Granted that Waikiki hotel deals that waive parking are very rare, and I checked in on the second valid day of the promotion, it always amazes me that terms so easy to find on the public website are so hard to find in the internal hotel reservation system.

Last year when I stayed here for a few days, the air conditioning was very noisy. All the units have now been replaced by split wall-mounted units by Fujitsu, which are both quiet and efficient.

Beware also that what looks like the main entrance on Kuhio Ave. is locked at 9 p.m., and you have to walk around the corner to the "official" main entrance on Royal Hawaiian Ave... a bit of a PITA.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I can't get this rate to work.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I just finished a 4-day biz trip and we stayed at the Marriott Resort, the 5th stay in 3 years for me. The resort fee was waived but it's $32/day for valet parking. I like this place over the CY even though it's more expensive:

- Excellent, first-rate but reasonably priced sushi restaurant (Sansei) on the 3rd floor with outside seating;
- The pool area and bar (Moana Terrace) also on the 3rd floor is fun and has great drinks;
- You can hit the SBC on the first deck for coffee and an inexpensive and fast breakfast bagel on the way to work, something you don't see in many resort properties;
- The shops adjacent to the SBC are upscale, uncrowded and nice compared to some on the strip;
- Beach access is easy and this part of Waikiki is not that crowded;
- Staff is really good - and there is an elite check-in lane;
- Rooms are large and modern, but aren't set up with lamp outlets or other upgrades you see in some other resorts; and
- Elites get at least one 25% off coupon for the on-site Moana Terrace or the Kuhio Grill.

A lounge would be nice, but the on-site dining from cheap and fast to upscale is excellent. I like this property.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AATrout
I just finished a 4-day biz trip and we stayed at the Marriott Resort, the 5th stay in 3 years for me. The resort fee was waived but it's $32/day for valet parking. I like this place over the CY even though it's more expensive:

- Excellent, first-rate but reasonably priced sushi restaurant (Sansei) on the 3rd floor with outside seating;
- The pool area and bar (Moana Terrace) also on the 3rd floor is fun and has great drinks;
- You can hit the SBC on the first deck for coffee and an inexpensive and fast breakfast bagel on the way to work, something you don't see in many resort properties;
- The shops adjacent to the SBC are upscale, uncrowded and nice compared to some on the strip;
- Beach access is easy and this part of Waikiki is not that crowded;
- Staff is really good - and there is an elite check-in lane;
- Rooms are large and modern, but aren't set up with lamp outlets or other upgrades you see in some other resorts; and
- Elites get at least one 25% off coupon for the on-site Moana Terrace or the Kuhio Grill.

A lounge would be nice, but the on-site dining from cheap and fast to upscale is excellent. I like this property.

Good report and I have been staying at this property from the first week it reflagged. Other than a few hiccups here and there it has remained consistent throughout all these years.

Yes a club room would be great but thats not happening anytime soon.

And for my thoughts the CY is really not a true CY rather a very poor cheap renovation with a lot of lipstick. Under that it's still a old tired building.

Sorry Courtyard but it's true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.