Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Edited to add: I just noticed that I posted the content below in the CY vs. Marriott thread instead of a CY review thread. This is a review of the CY.

I stayed at this property last weekend and found it to be in a really good location with good service but the rooms are a bit "dated".

Arrival: I took the bus as I was traveling light and got let off right across the street from the hotel. ^ The return stop is right in front of the hotel on the same side of the hotel and for some reason this stop is a favorite of the homeless folks (harmless they are though), I am assuming because the benches get a lot of shade.

Check In: Great check in. I mean, ultimatel you just want the keys to your room but an energetic and friendly check in person makes a nice start to your stay and this person was definitely great. I did get an upgrade from the standard aka small room to a deluxe room and since I have no status with Marriott I think that is because they had no rooms in my booking category. She called my room a "1 bedroom suite" but I would not categorize it that way at all....just a room with a sofa bed and a small kitchenette. Be careful if they offer you a buy up at check in for a "1 bedroom suite" as you may not be happy.

Room: I had a room overlooking a back parking area in the back tower. I dont remember the name but there was no noise that I could hear on the 11th floor and I had my lanai door open a lot. The room was fine especially considering the price I paid but it was dated. It felt more like an older Fairfield Inn with outdoor entry rooms than a Courtyard but the room was clean and fine for my needs. My only complaint has to do with the complete energy waste. First, the door to the room had at least 1/8th of an inch of daylight all the way around it so while the owner may think they saved money by not replacing it etc who know how much of the AC is going right out the huge cracks around the door. Second, the bathroom window was open when I arrived. Luckily I noticed it and it had a stopper to keep it from being opened completely, for safety reasons I am sure but if I had not noticed it how much energy got sent right out that window? I am sure the bathroom window was open because the bathroom has no fan but still. Lots of money and energy being wasted.

Food and Beverage: They have a small bar at the lobby level and appeared to have some happy our specials etc. I didnt take part but looked "ok" but plenty of other choices. I did have breakfast one morning at Spada and while the food was ok, nothing great and the place was a little dirty to be honest. The server was nice and the food was "ok" but nothing special and would not return.

Pool: I didnt use the pool as I go to the beach but thought the pool was much bigger and nicer than expected considering the reviews I had read.

Internet: There was wired in the room and wireless and they both worked fine during my stay and at no additonal cost.

Location: This is what this hotel is all about. You are a relatively quick walk to the very nice Beachwalk area with lots of restaurants and shopping and just a little further and you are in the heart of Waikiki. The location is indeed excellent.

Conclusion: If I am here with just my wife on a quick trip then we could handle this place even in a smaller and noisy room but if I was traveling with my in laws and here for longer stays I would not prefer this property as it just is not that comfortable for longer stays. Also the rate isnt really that cheap as I would not pay in the $170's for this property which was the rate on Marriotts site suring my stay but luckily got got much cheaper via my package.

Last edited by mcgahat; Sep 8, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:42 pm

Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updated 'trip report' and pictures!

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcgahat

Room: I had a room overlooking a back parking area in the back tower. I dont remember the name but there was no noise that I could hear on the 11th floor and I had my lanai door open a lot.
Home Sweet Home! used to burn my Cat 1-4 there or paid when they became a CY and it was <$100.

Anyway the 11th floor beds are Queens not Kings and like the rooms above the 9th they are alot smaller then those from the 9th floor down. After the 9th floor theres an indentation to the building so the rooms are smaller . The floors 9 and below besides having kings have the sofa+ in a separate area (room) rather then like yours in the bedroom area, But the bedroom just about gets the king into it leaving not much more room to it

If you look at the 5th pic in your 1st post you can see what Im talking about how as you get to the 10th+ floor its smaller due to the indentation
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Hey at least you got a tub! I got a tiny shower stall that I could not fit in. I am 6-2, but I could hardly imagine anyone over 5-8 fitting in there. It was quite the challenge to shower!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Home Sweet Home! used to burn my Cat 1-4 there or paid when they became a CY and it was <$100.

Anyway the 11th floor beds are Queens not Kings and like the rooms above the 9th they are alot smaller then those from the 9th floor down. After the 9th floor theres an indentation to the building so the rooms are smaller . The floors 9 and below besides having kings have the sofa+ in a separate area (room) rather then like yours in the bedroom area, But the bedroom just about gets the king into it leaving not much more room to it

If you look at the 5th pic in your 1st post you can see what Im talking about how as you get to the 10th+ floor its smaller due to the indentation
Oh, very good info and you are right about King/Queen. That rate is pretty solid for this area. Always good to get insight from experts on a property.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Hey at least you got a tub! I got a tiny shower stall that I could not fit in. I am 6-2, but I could hardly imagine anyone over 5-8 fitting in there. It was quite the challenge to shower!
the 1st room off the elevator are like this , not sure of the room to its left or teh rooms at the far end of the floor.But the 4-5 rooms that line that cooridor till the 9th floor are the rooms you want, at least in that Tower.

theres a 2 story building by the main pool which have bigger rooms but you get the noise from the pool area as well as people always by your windows = no being able to keep the curtains open
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Waikiki Marriott now charging a $25 daily resort fee

I have a future stay at the Waikiki Marriott and I just noticed that my reservation now shows a $25 per day resort fee.

When the reservation was made - the Waikiki Marriott highlighted that it did not charge a resort fee.

I called the hotel and the resort fee went into effect on Sept 1st. However, reservations made prior to the fee announcement will not be charged. The indication was that the staff has been advised to remove the charge for pre-fee reservations.

This makes the property less competitive in my view.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended

as a so called resort (to me its a hotel with a pool like any center city hotel) we didnt get free breakfast etc and theres no lounge. Now they want an extra $25, that can only be for them being so nice and allowing us to stay with them, since its nota resort what are they going to give us for the extra $25??
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Resort Fee Charge
Resort Fee plus applicable taxes includes high speed internet access, local calls, long distance/international calls up to 60 mins. per day, faxes up to 20 pages per day, daily Fitness & Cultural classes, $10 off Stand Up Paddle or Surf lesson, local newspaper and one Mai Tai drink per day.

Don't need any of that. Already get free internet (and no breakfast).

They can call this hotel a resort but it really isn't. I view it as a businessman's hotel. Nothing special about the property and the tall tower is two blocks back from the Ocean. Overall the rooms are sort of run down and the bathrooms are in the need of being remodeled.

The Hyatt Regency has a recent $18 fee (verus this for $25). The very nice Hyatt Place right across the street from the Marriott is new, no resort fee, free breakfast and a rate as low as $139.

Last edited by cova; Sep 6, 2012 at 8:54 pm
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It seems to me that a Marriott hotel becoming a 'resort' in order to:

1. charge everyone a 'resort' fee;
2. avoid giving elite perks.

I don't normally stay at resorts for the above reason, and I'll definitely stay somewhere else to avoid this unnecessary fee and no elite perks.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Have any Elites successfully gotten out of paying a Resort Fee?

I have a conference coming up in San Antonio at the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort and was informed after making my reservation that the resort has a mandatory $28 per night resort fee covering high speed internet (get that anyway as a plat), access to the spa (won't be able to access the spa, as I will be in the conference from 8:00am to 6:00pm), and preferred golf tee times (I don't play golf). Since the room rate before the resort charge is above the allowable hotel per diem in the area, I am already paying money out of mine own pocket to stay there. I am hoping to argue to get the resort fee removed, but I am not sure how successful I'll be. Any advice?

Regards,

RIP...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
It seems to me that a Marriott hotel becoming a 'resort' in order to:

1. charge everyone a 'resort' fee;
2. avoid giving elite perks.

I don't normally stay at resorts for the above reason, and I'll definitely stay somewhere else to avoid this unnecessary fee and no elite perks.
This reg Hotel just didnt become a 'resort' its been a so called resort hotel for years. All that is new is the charging of a 'resort fee' for a real non-resort hotel and not including parking which at least the *Ws do

No real loss by no longer staying there
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:13 am

It's a very marginal hotel in my opinion and WAY over-priced. We stayed there for 3 nights a couple years back and won't do that again. It's extremely crowded with tour groups coming and going all day.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:11 pm

About a year ago we had 4 adults in one room. The T&Cs included an extra charge per night for the additional adults, however luckily the charge was absent on the bill so you never know. Also as a Plat I received a coupon for unlimited use at the pool bar and breakfast buffet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.