Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by wiskaway
Will be 4 nights in HNL and rates are same for Courtyard larger room and Waikiki city view room. Will not be renting a car and would like to be able to walk or take bus, taxi, etc. The Courtyard internet free access is a definite plus. Which location would be better? Anyone have any experience recently at either place?
Marriott over Courtyard. The Courtyard is a poorly executed rehab. Small pool, lame food choices, in fact the IHOP across the street is best dining option over the "hotel" restaurant which is really outsourced and poor at best.

Rooms are real small haphazard layouts. If you stay get a room either pool side or the auxiliary tower, street side rooms are really loud.

The regular Marriott is great, rooms are clean and inviting. Have been staying there almost since the first day it became a Marriott!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by maggiew

By the way, they are working on the wireless in the rooms. Yesterday we did not have wireless in our room but today we do. I think they came in the room yesterday and worked on it. (There were signs all over saying they may be coming in the rooms this week.) However, as a result, our phone doesn't work??? The maintenance guy said it was because of the wireless work. Some of our lamps don't work either.
So glad to hear they are adding wireless. I was here in February with my Macbook Air (no LAN port) and had to buy a USB adapter at the apple store. On the plus side, at least the apple store was a few blocks away. Not sure I would go back to Waikiki though, felt like Miami Beach except 14 hours away instead of three.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
So glad to hear they are adding wireless. I was here in February with my Macbook Air (no LAN port) and had to buy a USB adapter at the apple store. On the plus side, at least the apple store was a few blocks away. Not sure I would go back to Waikiki though, felt like Miami Beach except 14 hours away instead of three.
I was in Waikiki for a week (2 nights Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa, 6 nights HHV) in April, then in South Beach for a long Memorial Day weekend in May (at the Ritz SoBe).

I would say that only two things are comparable between the two places: 1) High End Shopping and 2) Artificial / man made beaches due to natural erosion (still nice, not as nice as a natural beach though).

Other than that I would say the two locations are incredibly different! We found both to be quite enjoyable. And, from SFO, flying to MIA or to HNL is about the same for us...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: MR:LIFE-PLAT, AA ExecPLAT, AmEx GldPrmr+PLAT
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Not sure I would go back to Waikiki though, felt like Miami Beach except 14 hours away instead of three.
I totally understand what you mean here. I need to use MIA as a stopover from south america about 8 times a year, and I need to use HNL as a stopover from the South Pacific about 4 times a year.

Yes, there are differences, but they do feel VERY similar.

I ALWAYS grab a car in HNL though, and really just use the marriott in Wkki as a place to put my head. There's too much fun exploring other parts of the islands beaches than to be anywhere near wkki...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:27 am

My husband and I had a reward stay at the Waikiki Beach Marriott from 10 June through 15 June. I emailed the property beforehand and requested a complimentary upgrade if a room was available. They upgraded us from city view to a room on the 32nd floor with a view of the ocean and Diamond Head. Nice!

The staff was great and we really enjoyed the stay. (Well, except for the woman working in the Marriott Vacation Club office. IMO, she could only be described by a term I won't type in mixed company...)

Last edited by carole_d; Jul 3, 2012 at 11:28 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Which hotel are we talking about the Courtyard or the waikiki Marriott?

I've received better treatment at the Courtyard as a Plat then at the WM.
Just stayed at the Waikiki Courtyard for several days. Staff is nice but the hotel is ... blah. No upgrade for a Plat Premier apart from a high floor looking at another building. Location is no better/worse than any other locations off the beach in Waikiki.

In contrast, when I stayed at the Marriott, I was upgraded to a suite with an ocean view.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
The Resort - when I last stayed there in 2009/2010 was an average property but better pools than the CY. I understand some renovations have made a difference since then but I actually liked the area around the CY better and got better treatment. In 2011 a few months before the Edition folded and went out of the Marriott aegis, I stayed there a week on business.

But I'm going back in September, Edition is gone in the Marriott lineup and I am interested in the Resort this time. Was wondering if they finally have a decent FITCEN and if any of the rooms were renovated in the last few years?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by AATrout
The Resort - when I last stayed there in 2009/2010 was an average property but better pools than the CY. I understand some renovations have made a difference since then but I actually liked the area around the CY better and got better treatment. In 2011 a few months before the Edition folded and went out of the Marriott aegis, I stayed there a week on business.

But I'm going back in September, Edition is gone in the Marriott lineup and I am interested in the Resort this time. Was wondering if they finally have a decent FITCEN and if any of the rooms were renovated in the last few years?
It's a shame about the Edition and the CY is a sad case of trying to get a lower cost flag in Hawaii. by the by the CY in Kona is no better, like the Waikiki CY it's an old real old hotel converted to a CY. Poor execution.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:46 pm
rln

I have stayed a number of times at each property. Has anybody, recently, mentioned price? The Courtyard, usually, is offering a AAA or other rate that is significantly lower than anything available at the Marriott. Heck, get a $80 or so night savings, walk over to the Marriott and get the nightly buffet for "free."

Yes, what was once a very shabby workout room at the full service Marriott has been upgraded. Interesting point: The one thing that bothers me at the Courtyard are the relatively few television channels available in the rooms. In its workout room, the monitors are hooked up to a different service and many, many more channel options are available.

As a platinum premier, I've been upgraded most of the time at both properties. With the exception of one stay, I've gotten a suite at the Courtyard - sometimes, a suite at the Marriott resort.

There are a lot of great restaurants around the Courtyard - many of them on the street one past Kuhio - Jimmy Buffets and a whole lot of others. The Italian restaurant incorporated into the Courtyard and the "lobby bar" are both participants in the dining program affiliated with many airlines. When staying there, I charge meals separately and get five points per dollar spent on my Alaska miles and two points per dollar spent on my Marriott account - makes up for fact that at Courtyards - credit card points aside - you don't earn points for meals.

It is not a long walk from the Courtyard to the Marriott. I really think, in the end, it comes down to dollars. Yes, the pool (s) are nicer at the Marriott, but is that worth $80 a night?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by rln
I have stayed a number of times at each property. Has anybody, recently, mentioned price? The Courtyard, usually, is offering a AAA or other rate that is significantly lower than anything available at the Marriott. Heck, get a $80 or so night savings, walk over to the Marriott and get the nightly buffet for "free."

Yes, what was once a very shabby workout room at the full service Marriott has been upgraded. Interesting point: The one thing that bothers me at the Courtyard are the relatively few television channels available in the rooms. In its workout room, the monitors are hooked up to a different service and many, many more channel options are available.

As a platinum premier, I've been upgraded most of the time at both properties. With the exception of one stay, I've gotten a suite at the Courtyard - sometimes, a suite at the Marriott resort.

There are a lot of great restaurants around the Courtyard - many of them on the street one past Kuhio - Jimmy Buffets and a whole lot of others. The Italian restaurant incorporated into the Courtyard and the "lobby bar" are both participants in the dining program affiliated with many airlines. When staying there, I charge meals separately and get five points per dollar spent on my Alaska miles and two points per dollar spent on my Marriott account - makes up for fact that at Courtyards - credit card points aside - you don't earn points for meals.

It is not a long walk from the Courtyard to the Marriott. I really think, in the end, it comes down to dollars. Yes, the pool (s) are nicer at the Marriott, but is that worth $80 a night?
I do agree with you about the ease of getting to restaurants and I use to go across the street to the IHOP for breakfast.

Yes there is a price point which when I am there on business I have looked to compare the CY to others. Of note there is now a Hyatt Place competing and a much nicer rehab.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Just returned from the CY in Bali and have stayed twice at CY in Waikiki. Why the property in Bali is branded as a CY dumbfounds me. This is one of finest Marriotts we've patronized in years. The CY in Waikiki is a fair value for the $98 senior rate we paid. We love having the IHOP across the street and the easy walk to the Royal Hawaiian for the stellar brunch. And as Plats, we always get at least a peek-a-boo view of the Pacific.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I stayed at the CY Waikiki in 2010 and I was less than impressed. The rooms are small and not up to CY standards, the staff was less than friendly and I am platinum. I also had an issue during my stay but I do not remember what it was but they gave me 15k points after I complained.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Michigan Czar
I stayed at the CY Waikiki in 2010 and I was less than impressed. The rooms are small and not up to CY standards, the staff was less than friendly and I am platinum. I also had an issue during my stay but I do not remember what it was but they gave me 15k points after I complained.
I sure wish there was someone from Marriott out there reading this. I have written them after each stay regarding these same issues.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Cool Marriott Follow Up

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I sure wish there was someone from Marriott out there reading this. I have written them after each stay regarding these same issues.
I'm fairly certain that Marriott has an appointed individual on the payroll who does nothing but report back what's being said here and at similar outlets. They're very good at listening and responding (IMHO).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by maltasr
I'm fairly certain that Marriott has an appointed individual on the payroll who does nothing but report back what's being said here and at similar outlets. They're very good at listening and responding (IMHO).
One can only hope as the operator of the CY in Honolulu and Kona need to go back to Marriott 101

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.