Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 28, 08, 5:09 am
  #571  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,930
Allright, I'm in for 250 Andrew Jackson ones!

Wish me luck receiving them in ANC!

Can't wait to see the weird looks on people's faces when distributing them
beckoa is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:16 am
  #572  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: AA (1MM)
Posts: 1,766
Has anyone else been told that their account is "on 7 to 10 business day hold" by phone CSRs? I have an outstanding order from 8/16 that still has not shipped and another one (for a different coin) on 8/21 in the same predicament. I took a cue from others who have called and gotten their orders manually released, and now I'm told I have to wait until these 7 to 10 days have passed before I can get human intervention.
ExitRowAisle is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:39 am
  #573  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopefully on a plane...
Posts: 6,580
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
While the majority of my coinage activity is merely for churning for miles, I will argue that these coins ARE getting into circulation just the same. They are not dying once they do for me what I wanted them for. And they ARE getting used--a bank is just as valid a place to put them as any other place that takes cash, which is just as good as money

Plus, I used $100 to pay a non CC payment of something the other day, paid the neighborhood kids cash to paint my yard fence, and I am going to use $250 of them in Martha's Vinyard for a week at the beach starting now!

BYE til Sept 4!
MM
That's what this program is designed for and what I plan to do. As a previous poster had mentioned, why let someone catch on to a possible knot in the system that they weren't expecting that can be exploited for miles?

Heck, if you wanted to be swift about it, open up a miles-bonus CC, run this transaction and then close the account when your bonus has posted.
WBurcham is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:06 am
  #574  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopefully on a plane...
Posts: 6,580
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle View Post
Has anyone else been told that their account is "on 7 to 10 business day hold" by phone CSRs? I have an outstanding order from 8/16 that still has not shipped and another one (for a different coin) on 8/21 in the same predicament. I took a cue from others who have called and gotten their orders manually released, and now I'm told I have to wait until these 7 to 10 days have passed before I can get human intervention.
Just called in on mine and was told that they would have to be released by the claims department but I couldn't talk to them
WBurcham is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:30 am
  #575  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 725
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle View Post
Has anyone else been told that their account is "on 7 to 10 business day hold" by phone CSRs? I have an outstanding order from 8/16 that still has not shipped and another one (for a different coin) on 8/21 in the same predicament. I took a cue from others who have called and gotten their orders manually released, and now I'm told I have to wait until these 7 to 10 days have passed before I can get human intervention.
Mine seems to be on hold too... No help from CSR though
sharmaintl is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 1:25 pm
  #576  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,883
US Mint blows and blows

I disputed the charge with my cc company and I will let them deal with this freaking mess named US Mint. On round 2 I again have an email with tracking numbers working nowhere and still nothing showing up for days after they supposedly shipped...same like round 1....and if they make me do the refund form I will tell them to bite me!

Not worth the hassle for me, I have a very low threshold for bulllshit like this
gpapadop is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:38 pm
  #577  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,438
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I disputed the charge with my cc company and I will let them deal with this freaking mess named US Mint. On round 2 I again have an email with tracking numbers working nowhere and still nothing showing up for days after they supposedly shipped...same like round 1....and if they make me do the refund form I will tell them to bite me!

Not worth the hassle for me, I have a very low threshold for bulllshit like this
It takes SEVERAL days until you can track the number on DHL.com
gomike is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:48 pm
  #578  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: AA, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 42
I have been told the same thing. She said many people were abusing this by ordering to different addresses with the same credit card so they are now reviewing every single order and checking for this! She did not know how long it would take, but implied that it could be a while. She said I would receive an email with the tracking number when it is sent and that it would be sent by USPS.
jcwik is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 9:50 pm
  #579  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS, PVD
Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by jcwik View Post
I have been told the same thing. She said many people were abusing this by ordering to different addresses with the same credit card so they are now reviewing every single order and checking for this! She did not know how long it would take, but implied that it could be a while. She said I would receive an email with the tracking number when it is sent and that it would be sent by USPS.
I'm confused why the mint seems to have the goal of pumping as many of these things into circulation as possible, yet they are taking a suspicious view of anyone that wants to order these.

I say they want to get these into circulation because they are selling them at-cost and providing free shipping.
Dole is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:21 pm
  #580  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 725
Originally Posted by Dole View Post
I'm confused why the mint seems to have the goal of pumping as many of these things into circulation as possible, yet they are taking a suspicious view of anyone that wants to order these.

I say they want to get these into circulation because they are selling them at-cost and providing free shipping.
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address, so now they are wasting their resources making sure the rule is adhered to, instead of reexamining the value and usefulness of the rule. Isn't the mint run by the same agency that the IRS is a part of?
sharmaintl is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:31 pm
  #581  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,817
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address, so now they are wasting their resources making sure the rule is adhered to, instead of reexamining the value and usefulness of the rule.
And of course, their computer system isn't sophisticated enough to see that "icurhere2" has never even tried to order all the presidents yet. With a non-traditional last name, there's only two other people in the United States with my first and last name - none within 700 miles - so it's not that hard . . .

I'll call to see what they have to tell me about "on hold" tomorrow.

Today, I had the first interaction where the cashier didn't look twice at the coins - then again, I have used them at that fried chicken establishment before. In addition, I used them to pay for gas today at a location that has the non-allowed "minimum credit card purchase 'requirement'".
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:33 pm
  #582  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,370
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address
What's dumb about that?
If the goal is to spread the coins out throughout the country, then that seems like a good rule.
soitgoes is offline  
Old Aug 28, 08, 10:36 pm
  #583  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rural TN (but WAS native)
Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Posts: 23,817
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
What's dumb about that?
If the goal is to spread the coins out throughout the country, then that seems like a good rule.
For the people who actually put them in circulation, would it be more effective to ship them 10 boxes or two? Limiting it to two each, you have to find five times as many people who trust giving the mint their cc number to get the same number of coins out . . .
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 08, 1:55 am
  #584  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 2,114
Been a week since I ordered, so I decided to call. The rep who answered was quite pleasant but initially wasn't quite sure why the system said the order was on hold. She then thought that the coins might be out of stock, hence the hold, but on my screen it was showing in-stock. So she checked with another department and confirmed that it was an address verification hold and in another 3 or so days they'd start to ship them. She said there's a verification process on any purchases >$200, which makes any order of these coins subject to verification

We'll see what happens. The unpredictability of delivery certainly hampers my enthusiasm of the deal. I've not been travelling a huge amount lately, but when I am it'd be a deal breaker.
KRSW is offline  
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:22 am
  #585  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,089
I have no problem waiting several weeks, seeing out-of-date info on the website, and guessing when a package will arrive. Any true miles addict would feel the same. Just think of what puddingguy and the greats before us had to endure.
rrgg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: