Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Allright, I'm in for 250 Andrew Jackson ones!

Wish me luck receiving them in ANC!

Can't wait to see the weird looks on people's faces when distributing them
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Has anyone else been told that their account is "on 7 to 10 business day hold" by phone CSRs? I have an outstanding order from 8/16 that still has not shipped and another one (for a different coin) on 8/21 in the same predicament. I took a cue from others who have called and gotten their orders manually released, and now I'm told I have to wait until these 7 to 10 days have passed before I can get human intervention.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
While the majority of my coinage activity is merely for churning for miles, I will argue that these coins ARE getting into circulation just the same. They are not dying once they do for me what I wanted them for. And they ARE getting used--a bank is just as valid a place to put them as any other place that takes cash, which is just as good as money

Plus, I used $100 to pay a non CC payment of something the other day, paid the neighborhood kids cash to paint my yard fence, and I am going to use $250 of them in Martha's Vinyard for a week at the beach starting now!

BYE til Sept 4!
MM
That's what this program is designed for and what I plan to do. As a previous poster had mentioned, why let someone catch on to a possible knot in the system that they weren't expecting that can be exploited for miles?

Heck, if you wanted to be swift about it, open up a miles-bonus CC, run this transaction and then close the account when your bonus has posted.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Has anyone else been told that their account is "on 7 to 10 business day hold" by phone CSRs? I have an outstanding order from 8/16 that still has not shipped and another one (for a different coin) on 8/21 in the same predicament. I took a cue from others who have called and gotten their orders manually released, and now I'm told I have to wait until these 7 to 10 days have passed before I can get human intervention.
Just called in on mine and was told that they would have to be released by the claims department but I couldn't talk to them
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Mine seems to be on hold too... No help from CSR though
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
US Mint blows and blows

I disputed the charge with my cc company and I will let them deal with this freaking mess named US Mint. On round 2 I again have an email with tracking numbers working nowhere and still nothing showing up for days after they supposedly shipped...same like round 1....and if they make me do the refund form I will tell them to bite me!

Not worth the hassle for me, I have a very low threshold for bulllshit like this
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I disputed the charge with my cc company and I will let them deal with this freaking mess named US Mint. On round 2 I again have an email with tracking numbers working nowhere and still nothing showing up for days after they supposedly shipped...same like round 1....and if they make me do the refund form I will tell them to bite me!

Not worth the hassle for me, I have a very low threshold for bulllshit like this
It takes SEVERAL days until you can track the number on DHL.com
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
I have been told the same thing. She said many people were abusing this by ordering to different addresses with the same credit card so they are now reviewing every single order and checking for this! She did not know how long it would take, but implied that it could be a while. She said I would receive an email with the tracking number when it is sent and that it would be sent by USPS.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Originally Posted by jcwik
I have been told the same thing. She said many people were abusing this by ordering to different addresses with the same credit card so they are now reviewing every single order and checking for this! She did not know how long it would take, but implied that it could be a while. She said I would receive an email with the tracking number when it is sent and that it would be sent by USPS.
I'm confused why the mint seems to have the goal of pumping as many of these things into circulation as possible, yet they are taking a suspicious view of anyone that wants to order these.

I say they want to get these into circulation because they are selling them at-cost and providing free shipping.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dole
I'm confused why the mint seems to have the goal of pumping as many of these things into circulation as possible, yet they are taking a suspicious view of anyone that wants to order these.

I say they want to get these into circulation because they are selling them at-cost and providing free shipping.
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address, so now they are wasting their resources making sure the rule is adhered to, instead of reexamining the value and usefulness of the rule. Isn't the mint run by the same agency that the IRS is a part of?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address, so now they are wasting their resources making sure the rule is adhered to, instead of reexamining the value and usefulness of the rule.
And of course, their computer system isn't sophisticated enough to see that "icurhere2" has never even tried to order all the presidents yet. With a non-traditional last name, there's only two other people in the United States with my first and last name - none within 700 miles - so it's not that hard . . .

I'll call to see what they have to tell me about "on hold" tomorrow.

Today, I had the first interaction where the cashier didn't look twice at the coins - then again, I have used them at that fried chicken establishment before. In addition, I used them to pay for gas today at a location that has the non-allowed "minimum credit card purchase 'requirement'".
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Typical government behavior. Someone came up with the dumb rule of limiting 2 boxes per address
What's dumb about that?
If the goal is to spread the coins out throughout the country, then that seems like a good rule.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by soitgoes
What's dumb about that?
If the goal is to spread the coins out throughout the country, then that seems like a good rule.
For the people who actually put them in circulation, would it be more effective to ship them 10 boxes or two? Limiting it to two each, you have to find five times as many people who trust giving the mint their cc number to get the same number of coins out . . .
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:55 am

Been a week since I ordered, so I decided to call. The rep who answered was quite pleasant but initially wasn't quite sure why the system said the order was on hold. She then thought that the coins might be out of stock, hence the hold, but on my screen it was showing in-stock. So she checked with another department and confirmed that it was an address verification hold and in another 3 or so days they'd start to ship them. She said there's a verification process on any purchases >$200, which makes any order of these coins subject to verification

We'll see what happens. The unpredictability of delivery certainly hampers my enthusiasm of the deal. I've not been travelling a huge amount lately, but when I am it'd be a deal breaker.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:22 am

I have no problem waiting several weeks, seeing out-of-date info on the website, and guessing when a package will arrive. Any true miles addict would feel the same. Just think of what puddingguy and the greats before us had to endure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.