Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jdivenere
That's pretty impressive, mrpickles! Now, I challenge you to find a way to recycle all the leftover packing material...

I break down both the small and large boxes, stack all the trays, and bring them to the recycling dumpster. Zero Waste.
Are you sure the plastic trays are able to be recycled? I would recycle them if I could, but I don't see any sort of recycling symbol on them.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That's pretty impressive, mrpickles! Now, I challenge you to find a way to recycle all the leftover packing material...

I break down both the small and large boxes, stack all the trays, and bring them to the recycling dumpster. Zero Waste.
I've been told that those trays are not recyclable. I'm not sure whether they are or not -- do you know whether the recycing center actually recycles them?

I don't want to tell you my occupation, but suffice it to say I really should be recycling, especially for the ones delivered to my office. I certainly do recycle the boxes and paper packing material. (Since I started doing this, facilities management has added an extra bin on my floor because of me.)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=chimmy826;12570361]Are you sure the plastic trays are able to be recycled? I would recycle them if I could, but I don't see any sort of recycling symbol on them.[/Q]

My building recycles Plastic #1-7, which is pretty much every type of plastic made. While there is no number on the bin signifying which plastic group it belongs to, I've been told by the person who picks up the recycling that it's able to be recycled. She could tell by feeling the plastic. I guess they sort it all at some facility by people who know what's what.

Thanks to everyone who recycles their packing material!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
1) chase places the rolled coin directly into the fed bags $2000 per bag.
2) No recycling available but will look into it.
3) The branch wants the trays to help them count and they do recycle the trays.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:03 am
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
[QUOTE=jdivenere;12570485]
Originally Posted by chimmy826
Are you sure the plastic trays are able to be recycled? I would recycle them if I could, but I don't see any sort of recycling symbol on them.[/Q]

My building recycles Plastic #1-7, which is pretty much every type of plastic made. While there is no number on the bin signifying which plastic group it belongs to, I've been told by the person who picks up the recycling that it's able to be recycled. She could tell by feeling the plastic. I guess they sort it all at some facility by people who know what's what.

Thanks to everyone who recycles their packing material!
Plastic is made out of petroleum. Petroleum (and lots of it) is being used to deliver to UPS, lift to 32,000 ft, and then deliver to your door.

Just pointing out the irony of worrying about recycling the trays.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=DNPierson1;12570690]

It's better than nothing.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by DNPierson1

Plastic is made out of petroleum. Petroleum (and lots of it) is being used to deliver to UPS, lift to 32,000 ft, and then deliver to your door.

It's the little things that add up. I'll do what I can.

And those are flights and trucks that would be delivering packages whether my coins were on them or not.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:43 am
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
[QUOTE=jdivenere;12570731]
Originally Posted by DNPierson1

It's better than nothing.
You're 100% right.

As for the trucks and planes running whether they're burdened down with a couple extra hundred pounds of metal, the other poster is right as well... but it's a whole bunch of energy to lift that much weight into the air.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

And those are flights and trucks that would be delivering packages whether my coins were on them or not.
True, it's the little things that add up, but saying that the planes and trucks would be delivering packages no matter what is a poor argument. Obviously, any method of transporting anything takes more energy if it weighs more, and transporting coins will definitely require more fuel consumption than it did without the cargo. A plane flying somewhere with even one 50lbs box of coins will take more energy to propel itself, just like a passenger jet would if one extra person is on-board, or even your own body requireing more energy to transport itself if you gain a pound.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

Would the UPS driver be driving past your house on the morning that your coins are being delivered? Probably not. So delivering to your house uses more energy.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by deant
Would the UPS driver be driving past your house on the morning that your coins are being delivered? Probably not. So delivering to your house uses more energy.
Or Probably yes... since I live right down the street from a UPS warehouse and he has to drive by my street every day anyway.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:35 am

Any chance you can let this silly arguement go and stay on topic. or atleast take it private?

Not jsut Deant but anyone wasting space by getting off topic.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Or Probably yes... since I live right down the street from a UPS warehouse and he has to drive by my street every day anyway.
But I don't believe this is the case for most people.

In addition, doesn't the UPS driver keep the engine on when he is coming up to the door to deliver the package?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are running the risk to make the thread too Omni-like.

Before Moderator wades in, may be we should do our best to stay on topic for more pertinent info regarding ordering and depositing the coins?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:48 am

But I don't believe this is the case for most people.

In addition, doesn't the UPS driver keep the engine on when he is coming up to the door to deliver the package?
Mine doesn't. He shuts it off. And he doesn't even come to my door. I meet him at his truck.

I'm not concerned over the drop of fuel he uses to travel down my street which is less than 1/10th of a mile long. But I am concerned with all the plastic waste contained in our landfills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.