Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:39 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by mrpickles
mrpickles has been out of the office making a BIG bank deposit!
So, you're saying that the reports of your demise are greatly exaggerated . . .

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Oct 7, 2009 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
This whole thread reminds me something from The Amazing Race (cue Phil Keoghan):

"Detour: Pack It or Count It.

In this particular detour, teams have to finish one of two typical Flyertalk tasks.

In Pack It, teams must take forty boxes 250 coins each and repack them into twenty boxes of 500 each. The task requires no skill, but ripping open all of those boxes, throwing away excess packing material and figuring out how to go 4X5 in the boxes may take a while.

In Count It, teams must load 10,000 coins into their car and drive one mile to the nearest bank. Then, they must unpack the coins and dump them into the coin counter. If the counter doesn't register exactly $10,000, teams can either recount them or try to convince the bank manager that the mint is right and the counter is wrong. The task will go quickly for teams with an accurate counter but could lead to trouble if it is even a penny off. Teams may attempt to bribe bank employees with either pizza or candy."

Mike
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

lol. Good job capturing the voice. (And thanks for allowing use of a car -- much easier than taking them by bicycle with one flat tire.)
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by mikeef
This whole thread reminds me something from The Amazing Race (cue Phil Keoghan):

"Detour: Pack It or Count It.

In this particular detour, teams have to finish one of two typical Flyertalk tasks.

In Pack It, teams must take forty boxes 250 coins each and repack them into twenty boxes of 500 each. The task requires no skill, but ripping open all of those boxes, throwing away excess packing material and figuring out how to go 4X5 in the boxes may take a while.

In Count It, teams must load 10,000 coins into their car and drive one mile to the nearest bank. Then, they must unpack the coins and dump them into the coin counter. If the counter doesn't register exactly $10,000, teams can either recount them or try to convince the bank manager that the mint is right and the counter is wrong. The task will go quickly for teams with an accurate counter but could lead to trouble if it is even a penny off. Teams may attempt to bribe bank employees with either pizza or candy."

Mike
I want to be on mrpickles' team!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I just returned from all night in the ER. The Dr. wanted to admit me to the hospital and asked if I had things at home precluding immediate admission.
Despite having a business and a family, I said to Mr.PatMike, "I have coins arriving!"
Needless to say, I am home and will return as an outpatient!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
It was good while it lasted...

In my area most banks are refusing to accept $1 coins now. I don't even more than 1.5k to 2k at a time. I have been told by several branches of different banks this is the last time. Please do not bring more.

It was great while it lasted, but I guess this is the end now.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by kshahk
In my area most banks are refusing to accept $1 coins now. I don't even more than 1.5k to 2k at a time. I have been told by several branches of different banks this is the last time. Please do not bring more.

It was great while it lasted, but I guess this is the end now.
Only in your world. But, thanks for the heads up.

The problem with your post, and I don't mean to offend, , is that it is so lacking in details about your activity that one cannot rationally extrapolate your experience into anything useful for those that are successful at this gambit.

You had a good time, though? And, you garnered points, miles, status, yes?
Do tell, please.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Oct 7, 2009 at 10:30 am Reason: added paragraphs 2 and 3
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:06 am

all my backordered coins arrived last mon. Sitting in my office. I will take them in tomorrow. I called AMEX to increase my cr line- i normally lower it from what i am offered just because- Well they want the first two pages of my 1040. I said no and they said they would not be able to increase it without that. Question: I have read the threads but didnt quite grasp it. Can I prepay my Starwood Amex card ( my limit is $20000) and maybe charge upto 30000 a month?
Is there a limit on the number of miles I can get in a year on my card? Maybe I should call amex but i thought i would start here.
Just ordered $5000 last night andother 5000 this morning.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by eager to learn
all my backordered coins arrived last mon. Sitting in my office. I will take them in tomorrow. I called AMEX to increase my cr line- i normally lower it from what i am offered just because- Well they want the first two pages of my 1040. I said no and they said they would not be able to increase it without that. Question: I have read the threads but didnt quite grasp it. Can I prepay my Starwood Amex card ( my limit is $20000) and maybe charge upto 30000 a month?
Is there a limit on the number of miles I can get in a year on my card? Maybe I should call amex but i thought i would start here.
It is not a good idea to billpay your account ahead of unposted charges.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mrpickles
mrpickles has been out of the office making a BIG bank deposit!
How much is mrpickles doing? I've been at this less than 3 weeks and have already done $42,500. Whatever level he is, I want to attain!

I have a deal worked out with the bank manager - she lets me bring in as many as I want, as long as I put them all through the coin counter. No bags to fill, they have a large metal bin on wheels that takes about 25k to fill up. Once it's full, they just wheel in another one. The manager goes "whoa, it looks like a treasure chest with all those gold coins!" haha...and the counter is always wrong...but in the good direction. Yesterday I put in 7500 and it counted 7510. Not wanting to screw the bank out of money, (and because I'm so appreciative of what the manager allows me to do) I told her I only brought in 7500 and she said don't worry about it. :-)

I told her I'm brining in 17.5k this Saturday. She doesn't believe me but welcomed the challenge.

Fun!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eager to learn
May be you should read the T&C of your SPG card to find out if there is limit on annual earning?

Also you may want to venture to AMEX forum on FT, and read up the AMEX Shuts Me Down thread? It should be found on the first page if not the top 5 threads in AMEX forum.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
My experience. I can order, pay, recieve, pre-pay my CC before it is due and then repeat. I'm flipping four cards this way.

I'm not permitted to pre-pay in excess of my credit limit.

---------------------------

Making another credit union pizza delivery today......Native American style.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
It is not a good idea to billpay your account ahead of unposted charges.
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
My experience. I can order, pay, recieve, pre-pay my CC before it is due and then repeat. I'm flipping four cards this way.

I'm not permitted to pre-pay in excess of my credit limit.

The nuance is whether or not the charge has posted.

OK:
Charge $5K
$5K charge posts
Pay $5K before the bill gets cut.

NOT OK:
Charge $5K
Pay $5K before the charge posts
$5K charge posts

NOT OK:
Pay $5K for the hell of it
Charge $5K
$5K charge posts
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jdivenere
How much is mrpickles doing? I've been at this less than 3 weeks and have already done $42,500. Whatever level he is, I want to attain!

I have a deal worked out with the bank manager - she lets me bring in as many as I want, as long as I put them all through the coin counter. No bags to fill, they have a large metal bin on wheels that takes about 25k to fill up. Once it's full, they just wheel in another one. The manager goes "whoa, it looks like a treasure chest with all those gold coins!" haha...and the counter is always wrong...but in the good direction. Yesterday I put in 7500 and it counted 7510. Not wanting to screw the bank out of money, (and because I'm so appreciative of what the manager allows me to do) I told her I only brought in 7500 and she said don't worry about it. :-)

I told her I'm brining in 17.5k this Saturday. She doesn't believe me but welcomed the challenge.

Fun!
You're pushing it, IMO. Did the manager tell you about the writeup she's going to do? Anyway, best of luck/miles/points/status. Please keep us posted as to your goings on, as we're all jealous.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Happy
May be you should read the T&C of your SPG card to find out if there is limit on annual earning?

Also you may want to venture to AMEX forum on FT, and read up the AMEX Shuts Me Down thread? It should be found on the first page if not the top 5 threads in AMEX forum.
^ from one of the many Happy groupies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.